What's new

First Digital Amps Get Ultra 2 Certification (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
And just what are the specifications necessary to get this certification?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I read an article about THX cert for analog amps and it seemed pretty simple. The article didn't lay out exactly what an amp had to do except that it has to meet their specs and usually the manufacturer will go back and forth a few times with a design to get the cert. It also noted there was no cost difference between a cert and non-cert amp to produce.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's always been my understanding too, John. You've got to apply first before you're told what the criteria are. Then I think they make you do a pinky swear and sacrifice ananimal.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Except the licensing cost to put the THX logo on the front. :)

There is something about meeting a specific power requirement to play a movie soundtrack at reference level, and then something about power into reduced impedance loads, but I don't know any specifics either. I think there are some assumptions about how the speakers are designed (sensitivity), and the size of the room. Obviously for THX, they want all speakers setup as "small" with the THX 80 Hz crossover (and slopes). So ... since all speakers are "small" (and the low freq content goes to a sub, which is where the real power demand is), it's not that difficult to get THX certification for an amp. Also something about noise floor too, in that you don't want to hear "hiss" from the amp (amp/speaker combo) during a quiet passage in the movie.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I also think that I remember that due to the low noise floor requirement, THX certified amps cannot have fans either. Or, it would be very hard to design one that would be quiet enough to pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks