Firewire, DVD Audio and the soundcard....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Feb 2, 2003.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Firewire was recently approved to be as the digital medium for DVD Audio. So, other than all of us now knowing that our stereo recievers and DVD players need *eventual* replacing, what about soundcards? I understand that the Soundblaster Audigy 2 has 2 firewire ports, are these set up so I can use the firewire for DVD Audio to run to my amp? (lets pretend it accepts firewire). Or does Creative need to come out with a new card that caters to this?

Any thoughts?

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Mike:

Near as I can tell, the current Audigy 2 setup uses 3 analog outs to output the DVD-Audio signal. RIGHT NOW I don't think it has the ability to output the DVD-A signal via FireWire, though that MAY change in the future with a firmware/driver upgrade.

Your best bet would be to buy 3 miniplug to RCA cords and hook up your system that way.

But the 2 FireWire ports should be fine. The only danger you may face is the coming FireWire 800 , which MAY supplant the current FireWire in 3-5 years. I'm sure by that time you'll want new components anyways, so it's probably not a big deal.

EDIT: The plain-vanilla Audigy 2 has 1 FireWire port, the Audigy Platinum and Platinum EX models both have 2 FireWire ports. Just wanted to make that ($80) distinction. [​IMG]

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Ok thanks Brian. Also, the platinum has a Dolby Digital decoder built in, so theres another reason why its $80.00 more.