What's new

Firehawk Mounting (1 Viewer)

I am installing a 100" Firehawk Luxus Deluxe fixed screen to use with a Sharp 9000. What is the correct wall height for the screen? Is the correct seating distance about 14' back? Also, is the projector mounting OK at 17'(ceiling)? The room is 23 1/2' X 14 1/2', 9' ceiling height. And what can be used to minimize light reflection if the screen is mounted 18" deep in a wall unit? Also, since I am trying to kill all these birds, what is used for some sort of lighting near the screen area that I have heard about? Is there something to the theory of eye strain reduction with dim lighting at the front?

THKS.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Jason,

1) There is no "correct" wall height. That said, if you plan to have multiple rows of seating higher is better. The lens of the projector should be at the same height as the top of the screen (typically).

2) 14' back is fine but you could go as close as 11' - 12' back for the first row and be fine.

3) 17' sounds far. Each projector has a specified throw distance. You don't get to choose the throw distance. The manual will give you the correct numbers.

4) Black paint or material will do the job. Don't use gloss paint or shiny material.

5) There should be NO lighting at the front of the room (or anywhere else in the room) when a front projector is used. ANY ambient light will wash out the image to some degree.

6) Not with a nice bright front projector and screen.

Regards.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of this is a matter of personal taste.

Ideally, eye height is 1/3 of a screen height from the bottom.

If your eyes are 42" off the ground, this means the bottom will be about 26" up. However, you might raise the screen up some to provide better visibility to your second row; especially if you have reclining seats.

I think that 8-9' is a nice seating distance from my 87x49" screen for scope movies with good anamorphic transfers, and about 11-12' for movies at aspect ratios

John Rheaume

Auditioning
There is no firm answer to this question. You have to determine what you can and are willing to compromise here, based on number of rows and height of ceiling. I would suggest projecting onto the wall, before mounting the screen and adjust to where the most comfortable viewing can be had for room capacity.

Mark.D

Agent
Quick question... on http://www.realiableaudiovideo.com they sell Stuart Screens.. they say the GrayHawk is for DLP projectors like the above mentioned Sharp... they also recommend some of their other screens for CRT projectors.

What kind of projector is the FireHawk Screen recommended for? Is the FireHawk better than the GrayHawk?

M.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Firehawk will give you some gain and increased contrast (black level) as well. If you have a projector like the Sanyo PLV70 (very bright) then you can afford to pair it up with the grayhawk to get some improved blacks. The Firehawk will make it even brighter (too bright unless you use a vey large sreen of 110-120" for example). A projector like the Panasonic L300U would be betetr paired up with the firehawk. This of course assumes you want to buy a screen that costs as much or more than the projector. Personally, I would pair up a Firehawk with most digital projectors, DLP or LCD and choose the Grayhawk for only the very brightest projectors (just my opinion). FYI, CRT projectors, having fantastically high contrast ratios but perhaps lacking in the colour saturation department (NOT ALWAYS), can be matches with a white screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks