What's new

Finished Halo, almost finished Splinter Cell. What next? (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
And I'm not looking for just shooting game recommendations. In addition to the above, I rented and finished Medal of Honor on easy mode, rented and almost finished Panzer Dragoon too. I'm not interested in sports games (except for the volleyball games :)), and I'll probably rent racing games but not buy them. Shenmue II is on my list, Buffy should be here in a day or so (that one's for my wife, but I'll probably play it too).

Any recommendations for games that you really get into, which take a while to finish? How's Morrowind (sp?)? Any recommendations in the survival/horror genre? (I played RE: Code Veronica on the DC and really enjoyed it). Any other unusual games? Is Oddworld a good game? I know Rayman is coming, is there anything ele like that? Like I said, I'm not fixated on any specific genres, I'm just looking for games that are really worth buying and spending time with.

Thanks,
Saurav

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Give Ghost Recon a try, especially if you liked Splinter Cell. It's squad based combat and not really similar to Splinter Cell, but most people that enjoy one will enjoy the other. And, if you've read the posts around here, it is a BLAST on Live.

If you have broadband, the Live starter kit and Ghost Recon/MechAssault should certainly be your next purchases.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Alot of people really enjoyed Silent Hill 2:Restless Dreams which is now a platinum hit. Another good one is Max Payne if you've not played through it before on another platform. It's also a platinum hit so it too has an MSRP of 20 bucks now. Ghost Recon is quite cool so I second that reccomendation.
Forgot to mention, Fatal Frame is supposed to be pretty cool too.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Ah, forgot to mention that I don't have broadband, or I'd be online playing Ghost Recon a long time ago :) It looks like I might be able to get cable modem now though, so I'm going to look into that.

How is Ghost Recon if I'm limited to the single player missions?

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll go research everything you guys mention, so please keep them coming.

Thanks,
Saurav

Damien

Supporting Actor
i'd say either metal gear 2, tony hawk 4, or maybe. I recommened project gotham racing for $20, this is a must have, imo of course. It isn't like the typical get to A-B type game, there is a lot more involved thinking wise. The music on that game would sell for $30+ in the stores!!

Ben_Hud

Stunt Coordinator
definitly ghost recon, after halo and spintercell, i was in the same rut, couldn't really find a release i liked till i found ghost recon, also hunter: the recokening is a fun rental... could buy it but i beat it in a couple days

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
As said before, give Silent Hill 2 a try. That game freaked the $hit out of me, on many occasions. But you have to play it at night with all lights out. Ooooohhhh!

JamesH

Supporting Actor
There's a lot on the Xbox if you're not just looking for the big name titles. BTW, go ahead and BUY Panzer Dragoon, you know you want it. The Xbox games I've really enjoyed, in order of preference, are:

Halo, Morrowind, Panzer Dragoon, Project Gotham, Jet Set Radio Future, Dead to Rights, Shenmue 2, Hitman 2, Rallisport Challenge, Max Payne, Deathrow, Gunvalkyrie

Those games all cater to various tastes, so I'd check some reviews to see if they're what you're looking for, but I can vouch for their EXTREMELY high quality.

Not quite as good, but still worth owning: Aggressive Inline, Splinter Cell, MGS2 Substance, Buffy, Baulder's Gate, Silent Hill 2, Genma Onimusha, Crimson Sea

Some might make a case for MGS2 or Splinter Cell over Hitman 2, but I personally found Hitman 2 to be much deeper and more rewarding. I'd say at the very least, the first 5 games in the top group are games that you MUST own.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Another vote for Ghost Recon. The single player mode is actually pretty fun. After you get good at it, start to complete the tasks on your dossier to unlock cool weapons, maps and game modes so that you can host cool online games when you do get on Live.

Cheers, and I'll be happy to put a bullet in your head when you sign up! ;)

Andy

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Another highly overlooked game is Fatal Frame; that game is freaky. If you liked Silent Hill 2, give it a try.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame are definitely games to try out in the survival/horror genre. Thanks for all the other suggestions, that will keep me busy researching for a while.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I've got Ghost Recon, but not Xbox Live and I love it. There are lots of challenges to complete in single player mode, and it's also a ton of fun splitscreen multiplayer. In fact, I often just pick it up and play a firefight on Elite. I never get bored of doing that.

From the opposite end of the FPS spectrum, I also recommend TimeSplitters 2. No realism, but tons of fun.

For survival horror, you can't go wrong with Silent Hill 2. I played it on PS2 and it was great. By all reports, the Xbox version is even better.

James T

Screenwriter
Another vote for Ghost Recon.

Morrowind is a fun and long RPG. But some people don't like it because there is too much freedom in the game.

I think I'll also check out Silent Hill 2. I want to play Fatal Frame, but no video store in my area has it for rent and I'm kinda iffy on a blind purchase.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Well, I discovered Ghost Recon yesterday. Being a long-time Counter-Strike player I was astonished with this game. Its ... addictive. Playing this thing on XBL with friends on private conditions allows for a lot of fun.

I am still having a difficult time adjusting to the console controls, but thus far my only, and biggest, weakness is aiming with the thumb-joystick. Its no joy. Man, if I only had a mouse to aim with ......

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
Morrowind is a fun and long RPG. But some people don't like it because there is too much freedom in the game.
You mean the kind of freedom that allows you to get up and get a soda every few hours because the game crashed? ;)

The last straw for me was when the game crashed after I'd put about 30 hours in, while I was saving. Lost it all, haven't put the game back into the XBox since.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
You should save every game on a new file, and rest 3 days every once in a while to clear the cache.

I lost about 5-10 hours from the game crashing while I was saving(I had stupidly saved over the same file for a couple days) and haven't played since. However, I'll probably finish it since that 5-10 hours is peanuts compared to the several hundred I've put in.

The game was very stable for a long time, then once I hit the 180-220 save file size, I started having problems. By taking a few steps to keep the file under 200 blocks, I was able to get the game pretty stable again.

However, I'm having problems right now, but I'm really the one to blame. I found out about a glitch that lets you make any creature or character in the game follow you and fight for you, and I got a bit carried away. I basically slaughtered an entire town, and I assembled an elite fighting force of the best NPCs. Then I brought all of the lizard people in the game world to my town. I had so many people in my courtyard that the framerate cuts in half.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks