Finaly some pics for all to enjoy, tempest sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Ross, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

here ya go, its my baby tempest in a 8.75-9 ft^3 box, front fireing and rock solid construction. I used glue blocks (poplar, and soft maple) on the edged to pull any bows out of the MDF, on one side i pulled a good 8th of an inch out. I also used biscuts to get really really straight edges and it won't wobble when i screwed it together. i doubled up the MDF so the tempest will be flush with the front.
    As of right now i am not really thinking of putting any bracing in the box, other then the glue blocks, but i still can, what do you guys think? the only way i think i would need it is on the long side of to keep it from bowing in or out, but it is damn solid as of right now.
    Tomarrow i will pick up some #8 course threaded T nuts and 1.5 inch long nice Allen wrench screws so i can attach my driver and amp, before i glue and screw.
    Tell me what you think?
    also check out the great shop i am in. thanks to a friends dad whos been helping me out.
    http://homepage.mac.com/alrossnin/PhotoAlbum42.html
    BTW the imges seem to not show up on the main page but click the first one and it will bring up a slide show.

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

It looks like only the front panel is double MDF. Even if the whole thing were double, that's a mighty big box. At the very least I'd want a 2x4 board connecting the centers of each pair of opposing panels. Glue all 3 boards together in the center where they cross to prevent vibrations.

Also, consider using thumbnails that link to the full-size picture when posting that many pics. With my dial-up connection I gave up on viewing the whole slideshow.

3. Allen Ross

yeah somthing weried is up with my .Mac account, it took a few tries to get the pics uploaded.

about the cross braces, wouldn't i then be relying on the MDF to hold a screw, think of the MDF moving out pulling the sides away, all that pressure on that little screw head. That MDF is dense, but could use a hand screw driver and drive all of those heads right through the MDF.

I am kinda thinking of putting some braces that cut the MDF in half. basicly putting another glue block in the center of the MDF so that would give it some rigidity.

BTW the front is only double MDF you are correct

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The wood glue will do the real work of resisting tension at the joint. And if you do a decent glue job, the joint may well be stronger than the wood that its joining. Coupling the opposing panels together will be WAY more effective than just increasing the effective thickness of a panel.

5. Andrew Walbert

Andrew Walbert Stunt Coordinator

6. Allen Ross

cool i didn't know they had to be that slolid. I will pick up some more poplar today and rig upsome more bracing. thanks a ton.

7. Allen Ross

BTW my .Mac had an outage last night the thumbnails are back to normal.

8. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Nice page...also nice to see another .mac user. although rumor has it that apple is going to start charging for its iApps now, greedy bastards!!!!

9. Allen Ross

we will all see next tuseday, rock on BTW check out my sig

10. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Tom,
    There is a difference between "Properly Built" and "Properly Overbuilt" [​IMG]
    I'd say the latter applies to that enclosure.. Sure if
    you need something you can park a Hummer on, those are the
    enclosures you want [​IMG]
    It's nice to have the tools to do that level of work on
    a mere sub enclosure.. Now with that much skill and tools
    I would like to see a ContraBass enclosure.. [​IMG]

12. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

That box is definately "overbuilt" and properly built at the sane time!!!!! Totally SWEET!!!!!!!!!NICE WORK!!!!

13. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

What keeps the braces from resonating?? [​IMG]
    Dan

14. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

on my box for my dual av15 i am dubbleing up all pannels evept the top and botom i dont want to get another sheet ol mdfb and it wont fit where i want to put it i am using 3 sheets and some scrap to make some ribes with i will make a brace out of