What's new

FINALLY, Love Boat Season 4, Volumes 1 & 2 coming out on DVD on 10/2/2018...details below (1 Viewer)

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Just saw this information on TV DVD Facebook page: I'll get cover art when i spot it and will post it here.

COMING ON 10/2:

* The Love Boat - Season 4, Volume 1 (CBS/Paramount)
$29.98 SRP DVD
http://www.amazon.com/…/o…/ASIN/B07FDT8P3S/tvshowsondvd0d-20
-----DIVE IN! Book passage on America's favorite cruise ship with Volume One of The Love Boat: Season Four! Join Captain Stubing (Gavin McLeod), Doc (Bernie Kopell), Gopher (Fred Grandy), Isaac the Bartender (Ted Lange), Cruise Director Julie (Lauren Tewes) and Vicki (Jill Whelan) for all the romance, adventure, and laughter that sailed The Love Boat straight into television history! Don't miss the boat on this must-own collection featuring guest appearances from two-time Academy Award winner Tom Hanks, Academy Award nominee Debbie Reynolds, and music legend David Cassidy!

* The Love Boat - Season 4, Volume 2 (CBS/Paramount)
$29.98 SRP DVD
http://www.amazon.com/…/o…/ASIN/B07FDTF8DR/tvshowsondvd0d-20
-----DON'T MISS THE BOAT! Get "on board" with America's favorite guilty pleasure with Volume Two of The Love Boat: Season Four! Set sail with Captain Stubing (Gavin McLeod), Doc (Bernie Kopell), Gopher (Fred Grandy), Isaac the Bartender (Ted Lange), Cruise Director Julie (Lauren Tewes) and Vicki (Jill Whelan) for all the adventure, romance, and laughter that made The Love Boat one of the most beloved shows in television history. Don't miss this one-of-a-kind collection that make waves with any television fan!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just started watching this show for the first time a few weeks ago. Never really saw it when it aired because if was home on a Saturday night, I would be watching a hockey game, not network television. Anyway, I watched an episode where the crew decides they're going to have a western theme night and by coincidence, every crew member and guest just happens to have western garb with them. I took 2 cruises this year and on neither one did I think to bring a cowboy hat and western clothes with me. How stupid. Is that what I can expect from this show?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I watched Love Boat as a kid but watching as an adult it doesn't really hold up too well. It's not high brow TV by any stretch, but it's not totally awful either. If you have a hankering to see old TV and movie stars in their heyday doing goofy stuff, then it may be worth your time. If neither of those appeal to you, I'd skip.

Also, I'd say Season 1 to maybe 4 are the better ones to watch, after that it really seemed to go downhill. It got harder and harder to find any decent actors to go on the show as it drug on in its later years.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Fans of "Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" were never under any illusions as to what kinds of shows they were. They were just comfort-food junk-TV that epitomized weekend escapism (they never would have fit on any night of the week but Saturday) with lots of recognizable stars. "Love Boat" was just a seaborne version of "Love American Style" in terms of its plots so they can be excused their threadbare nature there (and give them credit for also working in many episodes filmed on actual cruises and on-location). If you didn't live through it, it's harder to connect with but if you did, it remains fun now as it did then.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Fans of "Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" were never under any illusions as to what kinds of shows they were. They were just comfort-food junk-TV that epitomized weekend escapism (they never would have fit on any night of the week but Saturday) with lots of recognizable stars. "Love Boat" was just a seaborne version of "Love American Style" in terms of its plots so they can be excused their threadbare nature there (and give them credit for also working in many episodes filmed on actual cruises and on-location). If you didn't live through it, it's harder to connect with but if you did, it remains fun now as it did then.

For the most part, I agree.

(What I'm about to say may be offensive to individuals who consider tv shows and movies to be "serious business".)

In a more general sense, I largely consider tv shows and movies to be escapism of the "junk food" variety. I never expect anything I see on tv shows, to be anything related to the real world (other than by sheer coincidence). It is something where I can turn my brain off, and not have to think intensively.

Unless a show/movie hires specific experts for consultation, I generally don't expect the producers/writers of shows/movies to get everything right. This is especially noticable in scifi type stuff.

On the other side of the coin for "serious" type stuff, the last place I look are movies and tv shows (including documentaries). I usually read non-fiction books and sometimes research papers for stuff which requires some intensive thinking.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If The Love Boat was shown in its original 1-hour form (plus the occasional 90-minute specials) in syndication and successful at that... why not Love, American Style? I think the fatal error regarding Love, American Style was putting the first two seasons in half-hour daytime reruns too early (on September 6, 1971, just 11 days before the 3rd season kicked off).

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In a more general sense, I largely consider tv shows and movies to be escapism of the "junk food" variety. I never expect anything I see on tv shows, to be anything related to the real world (other than by sheer coincidence). It is something where I can turn my brain off, and not have to think intensively.

Basically, it's just a story-- it's not real life; is that correct?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Basically, it's just a story-- it's not real life; is that correct?

For the most part.

I never quite understood why some folks get really worked up into a frenzy, when it comes to stuff like inconsistencies in Star Trek or Star Wars (for example).

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
It's just good ole harmless fun and entertainment and a chance to escape the everyday craziness of life, even if it was for just an hour or 90 minutes or two hour movie and imagining what it would be like to go on a cruise or having a fantasy fulfilled (although I felt Mr. Roaorke was a shady character in his own way with people having to pay so much money to have their wishes granted and Roarke mostly sabotaging the whole effort until the end when lessons were learned), was much better than some of the junk that passes off as quality television today.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just started watching this show for the first time a few weeks ago. Never really saw it when it aired because if was home on a Saturday night, I would be watching a hockey game, not network television. Anyway, I watched an episode where the crew decides they're going to have a western theme night and by coincidence, every crew member and guest just happens to have western garb with them. I took 2 cruises this year and on neither one did I think to bring a cowboy hat and western clothes with me. How stupid. Is that what I can expect from this show?

Yes. Stop watching it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
For the most part.

I never quite understood why some folks get really worked up into a frenzy, when it comes to stuff like inconsistencies in Star Trek or Star Wars (for example).

Or why the need for the infamous Very Special Episodes in many comedies back then, as on Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life; IMO, those were ones that you always would need to have your brain on for-- you couldn't just enjoy them as they were (laugh at the comedy), because they were always trying to teach you something.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I guess it was intended for either kids who were too young to go out on Saturday night, old folks who were too old, and shut-ins who had nowhere to go.

This is actually a very good point.

Back in the day when I was young enough, I didn't really go out much on Fridays and Saturday evenings. I ended up watching a lot of Friday and Saturday shows live like:

- The Incredible Hulk, Dukes of Hazzard, and Dallas on Fridays
- AIrwolf, Love Boat, and Fantasy Island on Saturdays.

By the time my parents got a vhs machine, I was old enough to be going out regularly on Friday and Saturday nights. I ended up taping then-current episodes of Friday/Saturday shows like Knight Rider, AIrwolf, etc ... but not stuff like Dallas, Love Boat, etc ... (IIRC, Dukes of Hazzard was already off the air. Though I wasn't really watching the final season that closely anyways).

After the mid-80s or so, Friday and Saturday night first-run tv shows were no longer on my radar until somtime in 1999/y2k. (I use to watch the SciFridays block in 1999/y2k which had stuff like Total Recall 2070, the revived Outer Limits, etc...).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I guess it was intended for either kids who were too young to go out on Saturday night, old folks who were too old, and shut-ins who had nowhere to go.

I take it you're not familiar with people who do their Saturday outings and activities in the daytime?

I suppose we could also say that heavy-minded "serious" dramas were for people who wanted to rely only on TV shows instead of reading history and civics books for guidance on "serious" issues.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I suppose we could also say that heavy-minded "serious" dramas were for people who wanted to rely only on TV shows instead of reading history and civics books for guidance on "serious" issues.

Case in point.

Some niches are extremely opaque and completely impenetrable when one watches it on television or even youtube.

For example, one of my unrelated interests is understanding stuff in science or engineering. Watching episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" or even Stephen Hawking documentaries, will not achive much (if any) understanding of the highly technical details in physics.

To really have any understanding at all in physics, it requires reading through books and working out some of the equations + calculations on a sheet of paper with a pencil. Frequently I have to reread a passage or several pages a few times, to even get the basic gist of what is going on.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
It offered the escapism of a vacation in a tropical setting, at a time when most of the country was buried under snow.
It gave us ogling opportunities of beautiful celebrities in bikinis.
It's romance-based stories were mostly light as a feather, but occasionally delved into more serious topics, which were also handled surprisingly well.
Despite its racy reputation, it came down for the most part on the side of fidelity and marriage.
It had one of the best theme songs of all time.
It introduced us to Julie McCoy.

That's good enough for me.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
Love Boat was the ultimate broad-appeal show. There was something for everyone - each episode had a romantic story, a comedic story, and a dramatic story. And the guest stars were a mix of TV and movie vets, and up-and-comers.

And like most Aaron Spelling shows, it was very well cast. The actors are very capable and appealing, and have a ton of chemistry (and they still have that chemistry in interviews today). Once they started tinkering with the cast (replacing Julie, bringing on Ace and later Emily), it wasn’t the same.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
What's interesting that it has among its guest stars Hollywood legends (Olivia deHavilland, Van Johnson, Luise Rainer, Ginger Rogers, Dennis Morgan, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., June Allyson), TV icons (Nanette Fabray, Donna Mills, Rick Nelson, Jimmie Walker, Suzanne Somers, Tina Louise, Della Reese, Bill Bixby), and future stars (Kathy Bates, Tom Hanks)- an interesting mix each week. It was escapism, like its neighboring show "Fantasy Island"- a great way to spend a Saturday at home. We could use the touch of an Aaron Spelling today- the man knew how to entertain the masses like no one else. It may have not been "Masterpiece Theatre" or any of the overly serious cable dramas of the past decade like "Breaking Bad" of "The walking Dead" or "True Detective", but for 60 minutes you were transported to faraway places with hints of romance and fun with the 'family' of The Pacific Princess. It was an escape from the drudgery of the real world that still holds up in reruns every Sunday night at 6PM Eastern on Me-TV. And I have one more confession: every time I see the closing credits and hear the closing theme each week I feel sad- it's like leaving the gaudy Technicolor world of Oz and heading back to the dull sepia tones of Kansas. And I think I'm not the only viewer out there who feels the same way......

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I take it you're not familiar with people who do their Saturday outings and activities in the daytime?

No, anyone I've ever met goes out on dates, to dinner, to shows, to concerts, etc., on Saturday night, not during the daytime. Can't say I've ever taken anyone to dinner in the afternoon.

As for the "serious dramas" you so detest, I wouldn't know as I was a young child when they stopped producing them and only saw them on tape and film as an adult and thus could view them any time I liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks