What's new

Finally: A CHEAP remote controller 4-way component switcher !!! (1 Viewer)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Here it is: http://www.inday.com/
Only $187. All the specs look perfect on it. I think this is a must buy for a lot of people, including myself. I have not bought one yet, but a few folks on the AVS forum seem to be using it with fine results.
Oops. Controller=controlled. Silly me.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
The next cheapest options are a 2-way autoswitcher for around the same price or an Extron RGBHV switcher with BNC-RCA adapters that, with a remote or auto-switching, is going to run you $600-$800 new and at least $300-$400 if you can manage to find the right one on eBay... so this a very welcome product!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
bill.

do you know why they are so expensive? do they need to be built from a certain / expensive materials?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
The Extron ones are broadcast quality and are made of high quality materials and come with quite strudy casings.

The other options (including) this one... well, the electronics are a fair amount more expensive than everything else out there. You need much more bandwidth to switch ATSC vs. NTSC. Also, a component switcher is much less mass-market than a regular NTSC composite or S-Video switch box, so any fixed cost involved have to be spread across fewer unit sales increasing the price.

A good composite/s-video switch is still not cheap. I'd guess around $75-$100. There are cheaper electronic ones and mechanical ones that cost less, for sure.

Back in 98 or so when I first got into this stuff I was looking for a remote controlled S-Video switch box and at the time the only one was around $300 or so... The prices will fall on component switch boxes in time; this box is an excellent first step.

It DOES amaze me that there aren't more reasonably priced ones, especially with 4 or 6 inputs. There really is a demand out there. Heck, JVC is apparently selling a mechnical one for $75 (!)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hmmm, looks pretty good. I like the small size. Easy to hide in the rack next to, say, an X-Box. :D
In addition to the $187 model with remote, there's a $168 model that you can use with an existing learning remote.
I've got the DVD player & the X-Box hooked up to my two component inputs now, but I'll be getting a STB this fall, and I'd like to hook my GameCube up to component as well. This little device looks like a perfect solution to that dilemma. Good find, Bill!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks