What's new

FFX First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I gave in and finally purchased a PS2 (GT3 bundle pack) to play FFX. BTW, it was FF VII that made me buy PS many years ago. I have played about 5 hours and it is visually stunning! Also, the voice acting adds to realism and emotions previously not available through just text. It is really hard to make an assesment based on just 5 hours of play. In summary:
Positives:
- Best graphics ever for a RPG. Not quite FF Movie but next best.
- Very good voice acting.
- Battle system changed for better. It is quicker than before. Instant member change in battle without losing turn adds to fun and strategy.
- Leveling up has changed to a sphere system. It is more complicated. Haven't decided if it is for better yet.
Negatives:
- Too much FMV! It feels like there's more FMVs than the actual gameplay. This gives me the feeling that I'm watching rather than playing.
- FFX is not in DD 5.1. 5.1 becomes available later in the game in a theater (Within the game) where you can purchase and watch previous FMVs in 5.1!
I'm hoping that the storyline will improve and draw me in soon.
------------------

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I gave in and finally purchased a PS2 (GT3 bundle pack) to play FFX.
Was that the US pack you bought? Just curious - been keen to buy one, but waiting until there's a solid easy solution to playing imports... Is one available?
Not talking about playing 'backups' - just legal imports.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've read a lot about FFX. The general idea I get about the game is that its very linear for the first 20 or so hours, but opens up afterwards and becomes excellent. I read about the battle system, and I'm excited. It sounds like they worked out all the bugs for the series, but the linearity is what people hate the most. If I could speak Japanese I would probably be more inclined to buy the game. I can't wait for the release in america. They better get a good voice cast for america, but I have already lost hope for the japanese voices in the american version.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I don't know about you, but if it takes me 20 hours of playing to finally start getting in to the game it doesn't stand a chance with me. If I'm not into a game within the first couple of hours playing it its on my Ebay list.
Dean

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Brian, I bought the Japanese PS2 bundle and an ORIGINAL Japanese FFX! It was an easy choice since I am fluent in Japanese and have played FF 1~9 in Japanese. I have heard that PS2 can be modded to play all region DVD and play games from all regions. I do not have any further info. My brother is constantly bugging me about the mysterious Mod chip.
------------------

Gary King

Second Unit
I've heard that FFX has mod-chip defeating code in it, though, so I wouldn't recommend importing it if you don't have a Japanese console to play it on.
Tom -- you're about to enter the 2 most boring hours of the game. FFX gets *much* better after the Blitzball tournament, and really starts picking up about 10 or 11 hours in.
Bahamut's OverDrive is awesome... I guess it's compensation for Bahamut's temple being such a royal pain in the butt.

paul h

Supporting Actor
There is a chip available but at present the only downside is that you cant play import originals with it...i believe that will be adresssed v.soon.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I bought the Japanese PS2 bundle
Ah. Damn. Thanks for the info.
AFAIK, there's no 'decent' modchip out there - they still require dodgy soldering & disk swapping. No thank you. I just want a PS2 that plays all regions, is that too much to ask? I mean: my DC does it. My PSX does it. My Saturn did it.
Bah.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

paul h

Supporting Actor
brian, check your mail.
[Edited last by paul h on August 06, 2001 at 09:54 AM]

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
My brother came back from Japan and bought me a copy of FFX for my Japanese PS2. Here are my first impressions:
Graphics:
Simply stunning. You'll notice that many of the cutscenes will rely on the 3D graphics rendering engine rather than FMV. Backgrounds are detailed, with trees swaying in the wind, butterflies in the forest, serene waterfalls. The amount of detail put into the backgrounds are amazing. There are some prerendered backdrops, but everything mostly is rendered in 3D.
Gameplay:
Whereas the battles in FF8 and FF9 were tedious exercises (FF8 for endless drawing of magic and FF9 for loooong load times), battles in FFX are thankfully brisk. Battle transitions are faster and the overall pace of the battles are faster as well. I think the battle system is a lot better, since you can swap members anytime, and you can also switch weapons/armor anytime during the battle.
Other than battles, you get to roam around the rendered backgrounds and do the usual RPG stuff (talk, etc.) One thing that bothers me is that while the backgrounds are in full 3d, you are still limited to a certain path - you can't just go wherever you want to go...
One side note is that some of the gameplay really reminded me of Panzer Dragoon RPG for the Sega Saturn....
Sound/Music:
As Tom mentioned sound is not in 5.1 unless you watch the FMV sequences in a theater of a town you come across after about 6 hours of gameplay. The music seems merely OK, nothing really caught my attention. The voice actors are great, though I can't say they will be for the English-language version.
Story:
I've played about 8 hours, and I haven't been totally drawn into the story yet - I really can't feel anything for the characters - I feel like they're too typical and cliche...maybe i've played too many Final Fantasies, but I haven't felt anything towards the characters from FF8 on..I'm hoping I'll get drawn in more but I feel like i'm playing just to see the graphics...
Overall, I think so far it's a decent game. For me, it's better than FF8 and FF9 so that's a good start, right?
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The original launch PS2s in Japan relied on the memory cards for the drivers. Someone found out how to make the memory cards play american, european, and japanese PS2/PSX games as well as CDs and DVDs from all regions. It was pretty much an international PS2. Only problem is that they don't make them like that anymore.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I read that there was a way to make it play every game made for PSX or PS2 in the world, and even play copied games on CD-R or RWs. I dunno how they did it if they did, but that is what I heard. It doesn't matter since we can't get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks