What's new

Fed up with Tosh X81...what's a good replacement? (1 Viewer)

Brian Lipszyc

Auditioning
Well, yet again something is wrong with my 3 yr. old Toshiba 40X81. This time the speakers stopped working and I get no sound no matter what input is used. (The first few times the widescreen modes would shut off the whole set)

I was wondering what a good replacement would be, or should I just get it fixed and wait for the new sets with the DVI connections to be released.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Ouch! I have the same TV so posts like this make me wish I had some sort of extended warranty on it. I've had mine for 2 years and 3 months with no problems...but I have had the auto shut off thing happen to me a couple of times. About the DVI thing...it really depends on how important HD programming is to you. I don't see myself getting into HD programming for at least 2 or 3 years and my main reason for purchasing an HD ready set was to watch DVDs. If you could possibly wait until fall of this year...getting a DVI compatible set might be worthwhile. It probably wouldn't be worth it to fix the set because it sounds like it could have more problems just around the corner.

Brian Lipszyc

Auditioning
Back about the time my 1st year was coming up, I started to hear this odd buzzing noise. I had someone come look at it and of course the guy could only tell me that this was normal for these types of sets. I thought otherwise and purchased an extended warranty. Thank goodness.

Anyway, I've already got HD through a HiPix card so HD is important to me. 90% of the rest of my viewing is DVDs and Cable is the remainder. (TiVo or Replay connected)

What pisses me off the most is that the last time the service people came to pick up the TV for repair, it not only took 3+ months, but when the set came back, the convergence was so f@*ked up that I still haven't been able to get it back to normal.

My thinking is to get this unit fixed, sell it off, with the warranty of course, and buy a new set, upgrading to 50" or larger.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Hmm, maybe fix it up and hold on to it till this fall when the DVI sets hit the stores? I'd get something like the Toshiba 50H81 right away but you are already watching HDTV!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks