What's new

Fear the Walking Dead Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to give it a try again, but it's not even close to the quality of TWD. Just something to fill time waiting for TWD to return.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well it does have the originality of not having to mirror the source material so all bets are off, for those that have been with this since the beginning, i think that all bets may be off this season as to who could not make it through the episode.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Any thoughts on this? I'm still DVRing this but not planning to watch unless they turn things around. The season finale last year is the only thing that kept me from going through the motions of deleting it completely. I happened to scan an article saying the show running tried to make the S3 premier more like an earlier season of TWD and the premiere was two of the best episodes of the series so far. Now, that's not saying much but I wonder what some of you thought.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to give it a try again, but it's not even close to the quality of TWD. Just something to fill time waiting for TWD to return.
Yeah, there's no way I'd have stuck with this if it aired during the regular TV season. But summer is slim pickings, so the bar as a lot lower.

Generally speaking, this two-hour premiere was a lot better than the past seasons have been. The hotel scenes with Strand were still drawn out and laborious, but thankfully that storyline is behind us.

Alicia continues to be the only character I really have any investment in. Nick basically exists to make the worst possible decision, every time.

I wasn't a huge fan of the character, but:
It kind of sucks that they killed off Travis just when he'd finally gotten to a place where he was doing what's needed to survive. But he was triple-fucked, as 1) a person of color; 2) the show's moral compass; and 3) the spouse of the series lead.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there's no way I'd have stuck with this if it aired during the regular TV season. But summer is slim pickings, so the bar as a lot lower.

Generally speaking, this two-hour premiere was a lot better than the past seasons have been. The hotel scenes with Strand were still drawn out and laborious, but thankfully that storyline is behind us.

Alicia continues to be the only character I really have any investment in. Nick basically exists to make the worst possible decision, every time.

I wasn't a huge fan of the character, but:
It kind of sucks that they killed off Travis just when he'd finally gotten to a place where he was doing what's needed to survive. But he was triple-fucked, as 1) a person of color; 2) the show's moral compass; and 3) the spouse of the series lead.

Promised I'd give it a try and did my best. Zapped the opening episode after about an hour, it was awful. Travis wasn't the greatest character, but one of the better ones in a cast of losers, although they certainly took care of his story-line.

Not going to waste my time, waiting patiently for the real thing in October.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Well Salazar had two choices; go back to his old ways or the path he took. I'm glad he went the way he did.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I had to pay attention, It was hard to surf and watch. Needed to rewind a couple of times to read the CC.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I had to pay attention, It was hard to surf and watch. Needed to rewind a couple of times to read the CC.

I find myself doing that a lot. My hearing is fine, but the production values of shows now has really slipped. Maybe not using the right mics, actors mumbling, almost like they're not even in the scene, just background noise. Getting pretty annoying.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I have to give it up to AMC for running an hour of TV that was 95% in a foreign language.

A bit behind, tried to do a little binge watch this weekend.

That subtitled episode finished it for me. This is like the long lost relative of the real "The Walking Dead". What they did to Travis sealed the deal. It would be like losing Rick on TWD.

When I have to read the entire episode, no more. Deleted all other episodes and it's off the DVR, there are so many shows that are much better. Heck, I'll watch Martha Stewart cook before this thing.

They supposedly ran the "mid-season finale". I didn't even watch, but it was the "series finale" for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I came into this season ready to drop the show, but the last three or four episodes really clicked into place. Walker is a great antagonist, because he's a better person than many of our protagonists. With Madison, the show is finally giving Kim Dickens material worthy of her talents. She's Machiavellian.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I came into this season ready to drop the show, but the last three or four episodes really clicked into place. Walker is a great antagonist, because he's a better person than many of our protagonists. With Madison, the show is finally giving Kim Dickens material worthy of her talents. She's Machiavellian.

This is a great and highly underrated show. AMC renewed this for a Season 4 after seeing the first half season 3 episodes so they know what they have. My favorite comments here. "I can't watch this anymore because a whole episode was subtitled" Seriously?? Wow I guess there are still some here that ignore the thousands of great international movies being made. To be honest I don't even know which episode is being referred to I don't remember if there our subtitles or not I just watch and enjoy the show. I find most of what's on TV today very repetitive and blah so this show is one of the few I do and can watch. Plenty of great old shows to watch on DVD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Walker is a great antagonist, because he's a better person than many of our protagonists.
I think it's a situation like on the original series where everyone is pretty lousy (he had Ofelia use anthrax on people with no real idea who would end up being exposed). They always say how if the original series had always featured Negan, Rick and company would look like the bad guys but Negan's group did some terrible stuff. I think the same basic idea is true here.

I was surprised that they confirmed that the dead rising was a worldwide event. I always assumed that that was the case but in the original series and the comic book*, it's never really been confirmed.

* Technically, there is a one-issue story that takes place in Spain but while it is canon, it's not written by Robert Kirkman or drawn by Charlie Adlard.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm out. Deleted from my scheduled recordings.

I wasn't watching this season but I was recording in case they turned things around this season (the strength of the S2 finale kept me from deleting it then). I had read this was a better season, and once I heard the finale was the following weekend and involved a battle with another camp, and because I needed to clear space off the DVR I decided to burn through the season during the week, then watch the finale Sunday.

The first four episodes were... ok I guess. Travis's death felt forced. They killed a major character at the start of an episode, with no lead up. When Dr Denise died on TWD via an arrow it was shocking, out of nowhere, and led to something immediate and direct. Traivs's death came out of nowhere but because of how it happened was more 'what the hell?' than OMG! and then... he was just gone. Fell out of the copter and that was that.

Episode 4 (Salazar's episode) was a good solid episode but had two eye rolling moments - the walker that got scared off by a dog (?! really? It would have made more sense to have the hungry dog attack and fight the walker for food so Salazar could get away), and the walker that got stuck by lightning. (i'm still rolling my eyes at that).

Then it just went downhill from there.

The two hour finale sealed it for me. This show is about the zombie apocalypse but zombies have so little to do with this show I think the writers have forgotten this. They even named a lead character Walker, which confused me most of the time because I associate the word with zombie in this world.

TWD has had several battles with camps but every one had a basis in the world the show was set in. What does Fear the Walking Dead do? Stick the cast in the middle of a feud between a white racist and a group of American Indians because the racist is living on sacred ground. What?! Take out the scene where the dead rose after being poisoned and NONE of this had anything to do with zombies, providing shelter from zombies, etc. NOTHING!

There is zero gore in this show. When Strand went to hit a walker with his car they cut away before the impact. Next to no walker attacks. Was Jerimiah's camp even walled? I don't think Walker's was either.

There are next to no walkers despite this all taking place within the first couple of weeks of the Event. Everyone who died this season (apart from the family who fled) got it in the head. You know what would have made this show live up to it's title? Have Travis get shot, then come back and have everyone struggle to fight him in the helicopter while trying not to crash while still being shot at. That would have been exciting.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So much better than the original show.
As someone who's not all that into the original, I can't even fathom that thought.

I think my biggest issue with 'Fear' is the Madison character. She is so unrealistic and ridiculous. I was so hoping Walker or Otto would take her out.

So people really think Travis is actually dead? I never thought that for a second. This show doesn't have the creativity or the ballz to allow that to happen.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Mine is that if this was the original show, it would never have become the cultural phenomenon The Walking Dead became. TWD is certainly not a great show--not Breaking Bad-level good--but Fear is just bad. Or, it was when I gave up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks