What's new

Favorite & Least favorite Christmas songs. (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
For a lot of women, I don't think it's satire at all. I think it's a precise expression of how they think and behave, and not just at Christmas (think of a certain Madonna song).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was satire when the song was originally written and recorded almost 55 years ago. Now, we can use our current day sensibilities to it today, but I don't think that's entirely fair to those of us that like the song for what it was.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If any of you really want to see Eartha when she was hotter than a stack of pancakes then checkout the film "St. Louis Blues" that she did with Nat King Cole back in the late 1950s.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The term "golddigger" goes back well beyond 55 years ago, but what does that have to do with those of us that like Eartha Kitt's original version of this song?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a comment on those who like the song, Robert. It's just a statement that the song (and Monroe's and Madonna's) is an expression of the kind of golddigging sentiments held by many women.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Such sentiments are not just attached to the female gender, if you want to bring film history into it then watch "The Heiress" or "Suspicion". In my lifetime, I found men much more concern about the materialistic aspects of life than the women I've known. Anyhow, I think we're sidetracking this thread so I'll refrain from commenting any further in this thread and give you the last word if you want it.

Crawdaddy

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Boy, everybody has a Christmas record this year. Paris Hilton just released "I'll be Prone for Christmas" :D

(NSFW lyrics follow):

I’ll be prone for Christmas
Spread for all to see.
All my clothes
Show camel toes -
I don’t wear BVDs.

Christmas Eve will find me
Spreading some disease.
I’ll be prone for Christmas,
Unless I’m on my knees.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I feel I must resurrect this old thread to tell you about an extremely depressing christmas song I heard today on the radio, it's called 'Christmas Shoes' and it's about a guy who's mother is very sick and could pass away on xmas eve so he wants to buy her the perfect pair of shoes before she "goes to meet Jesus".

My goodness gracious lol.

The song made me feel like sucking on a candy cane until I got it nice and pointy and then stabbing myself in the jugular with it lol.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
That song is a few years old & my wife and daughter love it. :rolleyes:It makes me want to puke! I hadn't thought about the pointy candy cane solution. :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Ray Coniff Singers were some of my parents' favorites when I was growing up. We couldn't go a holiday without hearing those LPs, all of which I still own.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
John, I absolutely hate that song. I don't want a song to depress me at Christmas time.

Please bring a candy cane for me too!

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
My least favorite is a commercial, not just a song. It's the one from the Salvation Army that shows homeless people while "I'll Be Home For Christmas" plays in the background. Thank you, Salvation Army for taking an excellent song and making THE MOST DEPRESSING COMMERCIAL EVER!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I read my first post in this thread and realized I don't have anything further to say. Except that I don't seem to hate Step Into Christmas as much this year. The Wham! song still sucks, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks