What's new

Fast X (2023) (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Don’t forget that Peacemaker, Clea, Yondu and Ratcatcher 2 are in on the fun as well!

And if the rumours are true, Wonder Woman will make an appearance!

EDIT: I forgot Hespera… but I have the excuse that she hasn’t arrived yet…

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This overall negative review is nonetheless kind-of amusing....

"‘Fast X’ Review: Bizarro Jason Momoa Villain Hijacks Overcrowded and Predictably Ridiculous Sequel
by Peter Debruge

Every race needs a finish line. For the “Fast & Furious” franchise, the studio keeps shoving it farther down the road, at least according to Vin Diesel, who suggested at the world premiere of the 10th installment — a brainless but action-packed thrill ride billed as “Fast X” — that Universal might split the “finale” over three movies. Why not seven? Or 20 more, for that matter? That might allow Diesel to merge these increasingly desperate sequels with his other running-on-fumes franchise, “XXX.”

....Dante is one of those characters who knows way more about the franchise than you do (Marvel is full of them), making casual viewers feel like they should have done their homework before watching a movie that otherwise asks them to park their brains at the door. Between his Prince-meets-Tiger King wardrobe and the theatrical way he treats mass destruction like a Siegfried and Roy show, Dante’s a weirdly ambiguous character....

....By now, this franchise is a well-oiled money machine, something between a feature-length car commercial (you’re gonna want to buy that electric DeLorean prototype) and a “don’t try this at home” public safety announcement. Still, calling it the first part of a finale feels like little more than a marketing gimmick. While Hollywood’s highest-octane franchise shows no signs of slowing, it was crazy reckless to give the green light to such a clunker."

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

"Fast X carries a gargantuan budget of $340 million, which exemplifies just how far the series has come in terms of both scope and popularity. For comparison, the first entry of the series, 2001's The Fast and the Furious, cost just $38 million. Indeed, perhaps even more staggering is the fact that Fast X cost $140 million more than F9. All told, Fast X is not only the most expensive Fast & Furious movie, but one of the most expensive movies ever made....

With the general rule that a movie needs to earn roughly 2.5 times its budget to be declared a success, Fast X will need to make a minimum of $850 million in order to hit that benchmark. The 2019 spin-off Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw was admittedly a bit of a comedown, but still earned $760 million, while 2021's F9 pulled in $726 million right when movie theaters were finally beginning to emerge from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Obviously, Fast X needs to reverse that downward streak with a total closer to that of Furious 7 and The Fate of the Furious in order for it to be a success. Nonetheless, with the Fast Saga being one of the biggest action movie series around and a genuine draw during the summer movie season, Fast X has a very good shot of reaching the heights of success it needs to."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At the box office alone, this franchise has grossed over $6.6 Billion worldwide vs. a cumulative production cost of $1.3 Billion. Probably a few hundred million more in home video and licensing fees. Even if Fast X doesn't reach "break even" level, the studio has banked plenty of profit in the past to even things out.

The early films were also mostly limited to car racing. It was with Fast 5 that the franchise switched gears ;) and became a globe-trotting action adventure spectacle. That's when the budgets really jumped with the location shoots and many more FX needed, and corresponded to the franchise's massive jump in worldwide popularity.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
At the box office alone, this franchise has grossed over $6.6 Billion worldwide vs. a cumulative production cost of $1.3 Billion. Probably a few hundred million more in home video and licensing fees. Even if Fast X doesn't reach "break even" level, the studio has banked plenty of profit in the past to even things out.

The early films were also mostly limited to car racing. It was with Fast 5 that the franchise switched gears ;) and became a globe-trotting action adventure franchise. That's when the budgets really jumped with the location shoots and many more FX needed, and corresponded to the franchise's massive jump in worldwide popularity.

Plus it's popular on a global scale. That's a winner for the studios.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I should also add that in my figures above, the budget for Fast X is included in the $1.3 Billion cumulative production costs, but of course we don't have any grosses yet for the film to be added to the $6.6 Billion intake. UPDATE: The film opened in 12 international locations on Wednesday and had an opening day gross of $33 million.

Unless there are a couple of major bombs in this franchise, it's basically all just gravy at this point. Though I know that's not the usual worldview of the press and stockholders.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Just came back from my opening night show.

I enjoyed it! More than F9, for sure (which I thought was poorly structured/paced). Obviously I went in expecting a bunch of Ludacris action scenes involving cars, cars, and more cars, together with some light banter amongst the family, some grim faces from Vin, and several Oscar-winners joining the fun and mayhem. And that's what I got.

Reviews criticizing the film for its ridiculous action should know that that is the series' trademark by now. Fans expect wild or fantastic vehicular stunts that transcend the laws of physics. Otherwise, what's the point?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Two quick points:

(1) I've seen most of the movies in this series, though I did miss the last one. It came out just after we had moved cross country and were knee deep in looking for houses and whatnot. I still have not circled around to see it.

(2) My longtime opinion on this series: I never look forward to the movies; rather, I try to talk myself out of seeing them. But once my butt is in the seat, I enjoy every second. And then promptly forget everything about them the next day.

That being said, Fast X is ridiculous, over the top, crazy, stupid, loud, bombastic, hilarious...and I enjoyed every single second of it. It's quite amazing they've been able to weave in characters and story points from so many disparate previous entries in this movie while maintaining some sense to cohesion. At no point was I lost in the story or confused about what's going on; that's the other genius part of Fast X. What an audience needs to know is included in this movie with one or two small exceptions.

Action scenes aren't short and perfunctory. They are lengthy, involved and complex...and they look great. I'm not a car guy, so the vehicle aspect here is lost of me. However, a car shows up fairly early in the movie and even I appreciated the look of it. Every time it got a scratch, I kinda cringed because of how beautiful it is.

The acting is all over the place, but you don't go to Fast X for acting. Lest I ruin anything for anybody, I won't recount every single actor I recognized who shows up. That said, Ludacris and Tyrese are the highlight for me with the way they play off of each other. Some actors get substantially less to do, though I assume they'll all be back for the next movie with more chances to participate.

Jason Momoa, though, deserves special mention. He is having a glorious amount of fun. As much as this movie is over the top, he's MORE over the top. Somehow, the way he plays the baddie feels completely opposite to anything in this universe...but it works wonderfully.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Don’t forget that Peacemaker, Clea, Yondu and Ratcatcher 2 are in on the fun as well!

And if the rumours are true, Wonder Woman will make an appearance!

EDIT: I forgot Hespera… but I have the excuse that she hasn’t arrived yet…

For those who have seen it, Wonder Woman and Black Adam are in it!

:D ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got back from my showing and I must say I was totally into the ridiculous action sequences in this movie. Jason Momoa is great as the over-the-top baddie.

This movie had some surprises and
I didn’t expect this movie would end on a cliffhanger. Has the next movie already been filmed?

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from my showing and I must say I was totally into the ridiculous action sequences in this movie. Jason Momoa is great as the over-the-top baddie.

This movie had some surprises and
I didn’t expect this movie would end on a cliffhanger. Has the next movie already been filmed?
This link has some good info on Fast 11:

Summary:
* not filmed yet, but in development
* release date in 2025

I wasn't expecting a cliffhanger either, though it's been discussed that this and the next were going to be the last 2 films in the franchise. Of course, with Vin's recent comments during a presser in Italy, it now looks like it will be a trilogy!

Given they're bringing back Gal Gadot (presumably as Giselle) and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Luke Hobbs, there's certainly a lot they could explore in the next instalments.

They could be building up to a massive confrontation (not only with Momoa's Dante - Vin has expressed an interest in Robert Downey Jr playing a villain as well!) in the eventual final film, kind of like how Avengers: Infinity War (which Fast X's ending has similarities with) set the stage for Avengers: Endgame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Domestically, this latest film isn't doing as well box office-wise as previous installments of this film series. However, it's doing quite well internationally.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The recent films have made the bulk of their money internationally. Domestically, only one film has crossed $300 million (Furious 7, $353 mil), and that was over $100 million more than the next highest (Fast & Furious 6, $238 mil). Parts 7 and 8 made over $1 billion each internationally.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Surprised at all the praise for Momoa. He plays a big, bold, broad and quirky character who should be a breath of fresh air in this stale franchise, but it all feels way too calculated.

There's no joy or verve in the performance. It feels like someone said "we need a Joker-style character" and shoehorned Momoa into the part.

Momoa spouts terrible lines and can't make them any less terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks