What's new

Fantastic Sears - Toshiba Price Match Success (1 Viewer)

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
SUCCESS in the WILDEST WAY!
Here's my story.
I did a LOT of web site printouts based on advice from others. The TV I wanted the most was a 61" Toshiba H71 (or 61H71). It sells for $2699.99 in the store and at Best Buy, etc. Go to www.continentaltrade.com the TV is there for $2089.00. The salesman asked me what the shipping was for this 288 lb television. I told him they were having a sale and it was only $40 for the next few days (shipping and handling were not on my printout.) Hell, I could have made the whole web site up in Frontpage - he never checked anything except to comment on how great the shipping price was. So final sale was $2129 then guess what, take 10 percent off that. I did pay state tax $86.04.)
I also bought a Kenwood HTB504 which was on sale for $499 for 374.99 plus $10 shipping minus 10 percent. $341.50 plus 15.37 tax. Oh and buy the way there is a coupon in the paper for $5 off every sale. So I got $5 more off the TV and $5 more off the HTB504.
I can't swear it will be this easy for you. I do know that some Sears give more resistance and place phone calls and call the manager etc. I experienced none of that. It was quick and painless.
I think I did good, no?? :-]

Page

Stunt Coordinator
That's a GREAT price! I bought the exact same set and priced match it at Sears and ended up paying $2200 and I thought I had a terrific deal. Congratulations! You beat me!

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
Well it's due between now and an hour and a half from now. I'm a nervous wreck pacing back and forth.
Why don't I just call them and tell them to keep it? What happens if I move from VA to CA next year? I could go to Europe on this money.
*pace*
*pace*
*pace* *pace*
I haven't bought a TV in my life. I have a JCPenny 20" thing my parents gave me ~ 20 years ago. I deserve this don't I??

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Relax. If you're on the Sears fiance plan you have a year to pay it off with NO minimum monthly payments. Plus if you don't pay it off in time, you only pay interest on the amount remaining, not the total price. (You can still scrape some money together for that trip.)
I've had my 61H71 for three weeks and it's great. (I didn't really "need" a new RPTV (I have a 4 year old 61 inch Toshiba), but having this new set got my heartbeat elevated again because of the improvements Toshiba has made, plus the anamorphic squeeze. Imagine how you'll feel going from a 20 inch set to this monster. You'll be in heaven.)
And one last thing--the price you and I are paying for these sets is about half of what I paid for my set back in 1997.
Good luck with the delivery and the sleepless nights you'll spend watching this set.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
I LOVE my Toshiba 61H71! I too got it at Sears via pricematching!!! $21xx I forget what :)

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
I went to sears in Northeastern PA and they checked 5 different websites that I took up, and rejected all of them. The guy told me the sears 1-800 number that he called said they didn't give him a reason why they rejected all my low prices. I was looking at a 50h81, they wanted to sell it to me for $2499.99 plus $40.00 delivery. The price matching where I live is a big joke. I followed their rules for price matching, not using yahoo shopping or PC mall or the like. I had prices at 1888.00 plus 239 for shipping. I felt like I wasted my time. I ended buying the tv from a local vender for $2100 delivered (electron TV in NE Pennsylvania)

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
That is the web site that I used...plus I used it during a 10 percent off sale, so I got 10 percent from that.
I think that I was ridiculously lucky. I got a kid that was seeing commission $$ and didn't really care what he sold it for.
You got a great price, too!!
Think of those saps forking over $2699.99 to Sears and Best Buy!!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
So, Henry -- the burning question remains: HOW DO YOU LIKE IT????!!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I am EXTREMELY happy. My very first DVD was Dark City, which is just a fabulous movie. Thanks to the link here on Columbia House, I also joined there and have 6 more DVDs on the way (and there is an "underground" video store right around the corner with all kinds of DVDs.)
I turned the contrast and brightness down to 50 (and sharpness to 10) as recommended, but I lose some details until I hit 60. Maybe after I do AVIA all that will return.
It's just so cool to watch a movie in such a great picture.
I did notice, in this movie, which is so very dark, some stray bands of light every so often. I almost called them "halos" but they are not circular - they are bent lines of light. They are not very obvious but of course I am scrutinizing. In the scenes that are very dark except for one or two bright light sources, these slight bands of light arc out about 6-12" from the bright light source. I think this is what people are installing duvetyne (sp?) inside their TV for as I was reading several months ago. I might actually do that.
Can't wait to VE it!
It's incredible to go from crap to such a nice piece of hardware!!
I'm also worried somewhat about moving this thing when I move (ugh).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks