What's new

f-connector tightener? (1 Viewer)

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a device that will help me with those f-connection types (you know the things on the end of coaxial cable that you have to screw on and off)

If i am re-wiring something, my finger tips are almost blody from off the tightening and such

Anyone have a link to anywhere on the web that sells a screwdriver type that will tighten and loosen this type of connection?

thanks in advance

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There are tools that widen the gap in the insulation and then screw on the 'F' connector so that you can screw it into the cable. If you go to places like http://www.milestek.com/ you can look under tools and F-connector tools for things such as their part nos. 40-40101 or 40-40102 (for RG-6 vs. RG=59) and other tools. I've also seen similar things in Radio Shack like catalog no. 278-480.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I wonder if Bill means a 7/16th in wrench to slip over the F-connector tightener knurl.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Crimp connections can be much easier, but I thing he (Bill) means trying to get the connector on the cable which the combo tool from Milestek has an end that is made to separate the insulation material from the shield so that the connector slides down a bit easier and then has an end that screws onto the connector so that you can screw the connector onto the cable. I actually had to terminate so RG-6 recently coming to a wall plate from the attic as I put another UHF antenna up for HD TV and ended up just using the Canare stuff from the antenna to the cable lead and then at the wall plate I improvised and used one size Canare pin and another size connector body to go over the cable. The connectors I had on hand along with the RG-6 cable are a pain (one piece things). I used them to connect my antenna to feed places all over the house and was cursing with every connection. I bought more flexible RG-6 stuff for one run in the basement and we'll see when I get to it whether it also results in similar vocabulary.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I think Wayne is right what Bill is looking to do. Bill can always get one of those square or circular jar openers made of the rubbery like material that grips good.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I have a screwdriver type device that does facilitate F-connector tightening and loosening. It works quite well, especially when you have no leverage in those tight shelf spaces. I thought this was a standard item at most hardware stores. I also have a small wrench that looks like a spoke wrench for a bicycle. Ths was a freebie from a booth at CEDIA that is priceless to me.

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
I just came from the local Home Depot. They have the F-Connector tool that looks like a screwdriver with a slotted 7/16" socket welded to the shaft. Actually looks pretty handy. I'll probably get one to add to my tool kit. At $17.00 it's pretty spendy but making connection on the backs of some VCR's can be a REAL pain. COuld well be worth it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks