Help me put together a Christmass Gift Guide

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I thought it would be fun to create a list of useful Accessories as a gift guide for spouses.
    Of course I will include things like AVIA/VE, and a Radio Shack SPL meter. Give me some others.
    For each suggestion, try and tell me the:
    Item Name, Description, Part number, price, link to a picture/web site that carries it.
    Here is a rough table I created for Home Theater tools:
    Christmass Gifts for the Home Theater
    HT Tools Gift Guide
    ================================
    ItemDescriptionPart NumPriceHex Crimping ToolUsed to crimp F connectors onto coax278-239 (RS)$16 (RS)Ratching Crimp ToolMore professional crimp tool360-688 (Parts Express)$23 at PSIdeal F Connector ToolGreat to tighten those F Connectors35-046 (Ideal)$18 at Home DepotDeluxe Coax StripperClamp & strip the coax with a few turns278-0248 (RS)$13 at RST handle toolGreat tool to push those F connectors onto the coax278-480 (RS)$3 at RSWire & Cable LabelsA must to help mark cables and speaker wire278-1650 (RS)$2 at RS

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi bob!
    how about a universal remote? my pick:
    item name: home theater master mx-500
    description: programmable universal remote control
    part number: mx-500 (?)
    price: approx $120.00
    i couldn't find the "official" website...
    some other ideas: speaker stands, mid-line cables and connectors, media organizers, power strips & centers, and component racks! woo-hoo!!!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Good one.

How about Magazine Subscriptions? Books (DVD Demystified comes to mind), The Cinemawize Custom Introduction DVD is another.

Anyone have a source for a THX plaque for the THX equipped theaters?

How about a "Now Showing" stand for the DVD box or a light-box for movie posters? A nice box for all those remotes or something to attach to the remote to help find it when it walks off/gets burried.

Come On guys. Help me find those little items that you may not even buy for yourself, but would be suprised & pleased to find under the tree.

I thought about Cables & Connectors - but to do this requires some in-depth knowledge about the equipment and distances involved. One good BetterCables component cable straight to that HDTV - this most people could handle. But beyond that, you almost need a map of what outputs and inputs all the equipment has.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey bob!
    the december issue of sound&vision has an article on holiday gifts. it includes stuff like:
    1. mp3 capable boom boxes
    2. portable dvd players
    3. pc speakers
    4. headphones
    5. music/movie box sets
    6. portable mp3 players
    7. camcorders
    8. cd labeling kit
    9. power strips
    10. car power adaptor
    11. flashlight[/list=1]
      you may wanna check it out!

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm sitting here with the November issue as the December one has not shown up yet.
    But rather than a generic gift guide, I'm looking for the specality things that YOU guys have used and love. Things like my special tools, the cheap dual-banana plugs, etc.
    What little item/accessory did you guys discover worked great? It could be as simple as finding dual-sided black velcro that can be used for cheap cable wraps.
    Little things that enthusiasts like us discover, but are thoughtful (translation: things only fanatics would think are cool). [​IMG]
    I'm already going to add:
    - DVD cases that can come in black, multi-disk, XBox green, Playstation Blue, etc., from INet.com
    - A registered copy of DVD Profiler and a Cue Cat bar-code reader to inventory your collection.
    Give me some others?

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bob:

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here you go....
    Black & Decker BullsEye Laser Line Generator with Stud Finder
    [​IMG]
    Make sure your speakers are aimed correctly and the stud finder can help you mount those surround speakers correctly.
    Check it out here.