What's new

EVIL DEAD Standard Edition DVD secretly contains Fanalysis Documentary? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that the extras "Fanalysis" and "Discovering Evil Dead" were exclusive to the Anchor Bay Book of the Dead Limited Edition and were not included on the Anchor Bay 20th Anniversary Standard Edition.
However, I have heard through the grapevine that the standard version were authored with those features included. There are no menu items allowing you to select they nor easter egg keystrokes that will take you to them but if you select TITLE 15 - this will play the Fanalysis documentary (all 26 minutes of it) and if you select TITLE 20 - this is the entire 13-minute clip Discovering Evil Dead.
I don't have a copy of the standard edition, so I cannot confirm this-- so I thought I would post here and ask if anyone can verify that the cheaper Standard edition also includes these [hidden] features. I would like to add this [very cool] info to Greg Yurkovic's Evil Dead FAQ in the FAQ AND PRIMER if I can get a few confirmations from owners of the standard edition...
Anyone?
-Vince

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
If this turns out to be true, and I think it will, I'd like to know why Anchor Bay authored the same content in two different ways. Not that it matters, nor am I complaining, but it seems strange to put together two different discs with the same content, except basically the menus are different. It would make more sense to either:
1. Leave the two extras completely off the 'standard' (non-Book of the Dead version) OR
2. Just press the same exact discs and make the packaging (the rubber book) the only difference.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I know that the 'regular' (not Book of the Dead) version in the regular snapper case at Blockbuster is single disc and lists 'Fanalysis' on the back.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Not that it matters, nor am I complaining
I think it matters, and I am complaining. A large part of the reasoning for my buying the Book of the Dead edition over the standard edition was that it was supposed to have features that were not available on the regular release.

If the only difference was the packaging, I might very well have decided that the difference in price was too great to justify the "cool" packaging.

If this is indeed true, I am very disappointed in Anchor Bay Entertainment, and I plan to let them know about it.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

This is a special version exclusive to Blockbuster, but it is the same disc as the BOTD (notice the red disc art, as opposed to blue for the non-book version). And all Evil Dead I DVDs have been single disc.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This is a special version exclusive to Blockbuster
I thought that the cover art for that disc looked strange. Exclusive to Blockbuster, eh? How many other DVDs are there like this?

This might explain why I saw a copy of Moulin Rogue at Blockbuster that was in a maroon double Alpha keepcase. I'd never seen one in the stores. I was quite envious, as I'd take a keepcase over cardboard any day.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Lots.

The Moulin Rouge is an example (although it's the exact same discs), also see the Panic Room packaging in a nice keepcase. They also got a single disc Highlander Immortal edition with all the bonus features and a single disc Near Dark. Those are off the top of my head but there are many more.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have added the following data to the FAQ or Evil Dead:
I heard the "Fanalysis" and "Discovering Evil Dead" documentaries were exlusive extras for the BOOK OF THE DEAD edition. Now you say they're also on the cheaper 20th Anniversary Standard Edition?
It looks like Anchor Bay saved a few bucks by preparing one master for both editions, and then they simply removed the menu items that allow you to access these documentaries. As a result the items are there, only "hidden".
There are no menu items allowing you to select them nor easter egg type keystrokes that will take you to them but if your DVD player allows direct title selection you can find them that way. Select TITLE 15 - this will play the Fanalysis documentary (all 26 minutes of it) and if you select TITLE 20 - this is the entire 13-minute clip Discovering Evil Dead.
If anything else is missing from this section- please let myself or Greg Yurkovic know!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...527#post532527

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gregory and Vince for letting us fans know! I bought the Book of the Dead version, but the case nearly made me sick, so I opted for the standard edition. I can understand Anchor Bay hiding the features, but I'm glad they're available. The Fanalysis documentary is outstanding! I'll have to watch it again later tonight.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Schweet. I'm a little miffed at Blockbuster right now, though. I rented NEAR DARK there the other day because the box said "Exclusive Special Features" or something like that. I thought that maybe they had done the same thing that was done with HIGHLANDER and EVIL DEAD. I was sorely disappointed to find that the disc only had the commentary. No trailers or anything. This is special? Fun movie, though. Not as solid as I remembered, but the bar scene alone was worth a rental.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why no one could let the case air a bit rather than returning it. After 2 days, the thinner had cleared. It's what happens when you shrinkwrap latex within hours of painting it

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't understand why no one could let the case air a bit rather than returning it. After 2 days, the thinner had cleared.
Agreed. After I unwrapped the book, I couldn't smell it at all after a day unless I held it right up to my nose.
Though, had I known all the extras were on the standard edition, I probably would have bought that one and saved $15 or so. So I do feel like Anchor Bay pulled a bit of a bait-and-switch on this one to goose sales of the higher priced package. :frowning:

StevenA

Second Unit
I find this irritating also. The book was fun for a day or so, but now it's tucked away in a drawer while the disc resides in a keepcase.

I would loved to have saved that extra cash if I had known those docus were on both versions.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You weren't SUPPOSED to know they're on there. Royalties weren't paid on those movie-only discs to Bruce Campbell for Fanalysis BTW

What you're really paying for is the packaging, that wasn't cheap, and remember, WE ASKED FOR IT!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You weren't SUPPOSED to know they're on there.
Which raises another question I've always wondered. How do people find these things? Do they just poke buttons on the remote at random hoping to find stuff? Or is there some easy way to find them using a computer and DVD-ROM?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If you use the title button on your remote you can poke through them on most DVDs. I'm better Anchor Bay is going to start locking the title button now because of this

If you hadn't been able to do that on the Nightmare on Elm St. Bonus disc I would have never seen all the great stuff on there because I don't have 6 hours to poke through the maze.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks