What's new

Evil Dead II - Book of the Dead COMPARISON SHOTS (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

In the "Book of the Dead" version of Evil Dead 1 Bruce says in his commentary "If you look closely you'll see a box of band-aid's floating in the puddle of blood." The commentary was made with the group watching the old Elite release however the new mattes in AB's version are covering the band-aid's up so you can't see them at all.

I just checked my copy and the monofilment attached to the eye and the rod is indeed removed. No big deal for me. The film still has plenty of mistakes to go around.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing just occured to me. What am I supposed to do when the battery dies and the eyeball on the cover doesn't scream anymore?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah but the Elite disc is cut, it's missing the shot with the lightning bolt animation.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Shot with lightning-bolt animation missing from the Elite DVD of THE EVIL DEAD? What's the story on this?

As for the new release of EVIL DEAD 2, I think I'll pass. Digital erasing of endearing mistakes, too-pumped-up contrast, no open-matte option...I'm sticking with the older version.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

It's a shot with an animation of a lightning bolt and it's missing from the Elite edition (and possibly the Anchor Bay fullscreen edition)

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Yeah, this shot is missing (It is in the beginning, just before the scene where Scotty Star the Reel Player and listen the tape), AND they added a Zoom effect when Cheryl (the first possessed girl) is looking at the window and reveal to the group the possession (Exactly like the witch in Army of Darkness...).

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I just watched part of this last night and thought I would drag this thread up. I know this movie will never look as good as a newer movie, but I watched it on a 32 inch HDTV. I was a bit disappointed in the new transfer. However, I had only watched it on my 27 inch tv, so I'm guessing the HDTV brought out more of the flaws. I had the THX, which I sold and got the Book version. I was just a little disapointed, but like I'm said before, it could be that I'm just watching it on a better tv. It was just a bit less detail than I expected. Anyway, I love this movie so much, and love the book.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I like the unmatted version on the old disc better, except that it's just too dark. I'll probably have to pick up the new one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks