What's new

Ever Kick Yourself For Not Realizing Your System's Full Potential? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody ever suddenly realize that your components were hooked-up all wrong? And that you could have been getting much better video/audio if your connections were done differently?

I'd like to hear any such detailed "I've got this hooked-up wrong!" encounters. Perhaps I'll get some hints as to what I'm (probably) doing wrong with my HT set-up. :)

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
David,

Actually, no. There is only one way to hook up your equipment-- either the correct way or the wrong way. 8^)

Either you are holding out on us, or you screwed up somehow and are looking for a subtle hint to set your system straight.
Come clean buddy. This is a no venom zone.

BOK

John Stegman

Auditioning
Actually, I have two ways that I can go with my fronts. The way I have them hooked up is by setting the fronts to "large" and then running the cables to the sub first and then using that crossover to engage the the front speakers. I don't use the cable out from the receiver to the sub. Not sure if this is right or wrong since I am happy with the way it sounds. The thing that makes me slap my forehead and say duh is that recently I installed Vibrapods under the sub and my receiver. The change was immediate. The base is now much more defined. To my surprise, with the receiver isolated, the highs are now clearer. So much so that I am still hearing new things on the disks that I listen to the most.

KrisM

Second Unit
I bought a pair of PSB Stratus Silvers a few years ago. They were the demo models so I a got a great deal on them. After getting a good discount on them the salesman told me he would love to sell them to me, but I couldn't take them until the next day. One of the woofers was dented by a little kid and they hadn't replaced the driver yet. I told the salesman I would change the driver myself. The speakers sounded good but after I got around to changing the woofer(a few days later), I noticed it wasn't hooked up at all inside. Needless to say they sounded way better after the speaker was wired properly.

REgards
KrisM

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
I've hooked things up had had no sound. Usually when I'm too eager to hook stuff up I miss out on the simple things. Such as plugging in one component into two inputs on my reciever...hey why do I only have one channel of sound? ;)

But never anything where I didn't realize it right away.

Tom

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I got my first Dolby/DTS receiver and dvd player, back in '99. Popped in my first disc, The Matrix, and was like "Damn, this sounds awesome.". Then I noticed I didn't even have the Dolby Digital decoding on. Pushed the button and was like "Okay, now this is just fucking awesome!" I then proceeded to watch that disc repeatedly. :D

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I've hooked tapeloops up backwards before that can an interesting ordeal. Also having one speaker out of phase even though you thought you hooked it up right can wreak havoc on your ears and your ego:) hehe

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
When I first received my speakers, I set 3 of them up out-of-phase and didn't know I did for about 3 months. Didn't notice the problem until I picked up Video Essentials disc. Won't make that mistake again. The problem is that I traced the +/- wrong when attaching ends...so dumb!

MarcVH

Second Unit
When I first hooked up my subwoofer, I just plugged it in and ran a calibration disc, and everything was fine. Then I went to add an equalizer to flatten out the room response, and realized there was a huge dip at the crossover frequency. Turned out the room placement was making the left main and the sub interfere destructively. Reversing the phase of the sub suddenly changed things.

EugeneR

Second Unit
FWIW,on more than one occasion I've frantically jiggled wires and played with various input settings because I was getting no sound, only to realize after a few minutes of panic that the volume was turned all the way down. :b

I'm a three year owner of a TW40X81 HD-Monitor and like many of you made this purchase not simply for HDTV but
DVD movies, with a progressive DVD-Player.

Mistake 1. Purchase of the same Manufacturer's HD-
Monitor's DVD-player, did not give me the best
DVD-video/picture.

I've went thru 4-DVD-Players until last
Friday.....this DVD-Player's Video-
DAC/Picture is awesome....

After 2years of viewing DVD movies in 480p on
Toshiba (SD4700), Panny DVD-CV52 and the famed-
RP-82 and the Sony's DV-NP700, the last two
came close to what I will call a DVD-Player that
allows you to say.. "Let's replay DVD movies"

The Panasonic - DVD-CV72 Changer/W DVD-Audio is
plays quality A/V with my TW40X81 lke none of
the forementioned DVD-players.

This comes to you after reviewing "The DVD-
Player Shootout" on the www.Hometheaterhifi.com
website. For $220.00, the 2nd best rated
Progressive DVD-Changer W/DVD-Audio.

Number-1 was the $1200.00 Yamaha DVD-Changer.

DVD-viewing "he
I thought this would never happen: As we have
at one time or another heard the line:
Since i purchase this DVD-player or calibrated
my HD-Monitor, I'm looking at movie a 2nd
time. I always wanted to put in a hthe
best not mt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks