What's new

Eventual upgrade of receiver-DVD audio? (1 Viewer)

John C

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all. I eventually want to upgrade my 5.1 receiver to one that handles DTS-ES, Dolby-EX, Pro-Logic II and possibly DVD-Audio. The only DVD-Audio decoders I see are built into DVD players currently. Are there any actual RECEIVERS that are going to add DVD-audio decoding on the horizon. I'm shying away from getting a player with built-in decoding as I've heard bad things about those type of decoders (flimsy parts!).

Will regular DVD players even be able to pass-through the DVD-audio signal or will a special chip be needed ala DTS style? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
DVD Audio doesn't use a decoder in the sense of, say, DD or DTS. The output from the players is analog only, and will be for the foreseeable future. You need 6 phono cables for 5.1.

Also, the receiver has to have 6 preamp inputs. Unfortunately, mine is older, and has only two.

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Formats like DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD are copyrighted formats that cannot currently be sent over bitstream or PCM digital connections. This is why you need to run analog audio out to your receiver.

In order to utilize 5.1 playback with these formats, your receiver needs multichannel inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks