What's new

Errol Morris films (and TV show) are coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
In a recent DVD purchase of mine (I *think* "The Saddest Music in the World," but I don't remember for sure -- it's MGM, in any case), there's a little insert flyer advertising Errol Morris films as "Coming Soon to DVD!"

They are: The Thin Blue Line, Gates of Heaven, and Vernon, Florida -- these three are also apparently going to be available as a box set (called -- wait for it -- "The errol Morris DVD Collection"). The flyer makes it look as though they'll be available separately, as well.

Also listed is Errol Morris' "First Person": "A 3-disc set containing seasons 1 & 2 of Errol Morris' spellbinding TV series."

There's no street date on here, but it seemed more concrete information than I've seen elsewhere, so I thought I should mention it -- I know a number of people here have been waiting with bated breath for these.

(I did a search on Errol, and it seemed most appropriate to start a new thread. Hope that's OK.)

--K

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I bought the Thin Blue Line laserdisc earlier this year. Hopefully the DVD will be cheap enough to justify a double dip.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The Thin Blue Line is the greatest documentary ever made. IMO. I'm actually very surprised it took this long to get it on DVD.

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm especially chuffed for The Thin Blue Line. I hope a release date will be announced soon.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
I can find no information about these on other retail sites but:

columbia house's dv2 club (www.dv2.com) has Gates of Heaven, The Thin Blue Line, and Vernon Florida listed as being released on February 1, 2005. They are priced at $11.99 each.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news.

Yes, MGM had originally said (back in June) that these would be out by Christmas. Morris confirmed this at the Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival back in April (saying both Vernon and Gates of Heaven would be out by the end of 2005).

Hopefully the Feb 1st date is correct!

-V

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, he mentioned the release of all of the above very early last year on a Chicago radio show. Wonder if he'll put in Ellen Feiss and his son as easter eggs. ;)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have a friend that works in Errol Morris's office, I contacted him about the release date. He referred me to Tricia at Globe Department Store (Morris's film production company).

I contacted Tricia to see if she knew the release dates: She said she was pretty sure it was scheduled for February but didn't have any more up-to-date info. She referred me to someone named Daisy at MGM.

I have tried to contact Daisy and have so far not gotten a reply. I will keep you posted.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.