Errol Morris films (and TV show) are coming to DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Karl F, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

In a recent DVD purchase of mine (I *think* "The Saddest Music in the World," but I don't remember for sure -- it's MGM, in any case), there's a little insert flyer advertising Errol Morris films as "Coming Soon to DVD!"

They are: The Thin Blue Line, Gates of Heaven, and Vernon, Florida -- these three are also apparently going to be available as a box set (called -- wait for it -- "The errol Morris DVD Collection"). The flyer makes it look as though they'll be available separately, as well.

Also listed is Errol Morris' "First Person": "A 3-disc set containing seasons 1 & 2 of Errol Morris' spellbinding TV series."

There's no street date on here, but it seemed more concrete information than I've seen elsewhere, so I thought I should mention it -- I know a number of people here have been waiting with bated breath for these.

(I did a search on Errol, and it seemed most appropriate to start a new thread. Hope that's OK.)

--K

2. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Great news.. I love Gates of Heaven and Vernon, Florida!!

--Ian

3. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

The flyer IS in the Saddest Music in the World DVD. No street date on the Morris films, just "coming soon."

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I bought the Thin Blue Line laserdisc earlier this year. Hopefully the DVD will be cheap enough to justify a double dip.

5. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

The Thin Blue Line is the greatest documentary ever made. IMO. I'm actually very surprised it took this long to get it on DVD.

6. AlexHL

AlexHL Stunt Coordinator

I'm especially chuffed for The Thin Blue Line. I hope a release date will be announced soon.

7. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Me, too. I'll be so happy to retire my old worn-out VHS of this one!

8. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

I can find no information about these on other retail sites but:

columbia house's dv2 club (www.dv2.com) has Gates of Heaven, The Thin Blue Line, and Vernon Florida listed as being released on February 1, 2005. They are priced at $11.99 each.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Excellent news.

Yes, MGM had originally said (back in June) that these would be out by Christmas. Morris confirmed this at the Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival back in April (saying both Vernon and Gates of Heaven would be out by the end of 2005).

Hopefully the Feb 1st date is correct!

-V

10. AlexHL

AlexHL Stunt Coordinator

Feb 1st would be fantastic. Let's hope it gets confirmed soon!

11. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Yeah, he mentioned the release of all of the above very early last year on a Chicago radio show. Wonder if he'll put in Ellen Feiss and his son as easter eggs. [​IMG]

12. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

sorry...double-post

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have a friend that works in Errol Morris's office, I contacted him about the release date. He referred me to Tricia at Globe Department Store (Morris's film production company).

I contacted Tricia to see if she knew the release dates: She said she was pretty sure it was scheduled for February but didn't have any more up-to-date info. She referred me to someone named Daisy at MGM.

I have tried to contact Daisy and have so far not gotten a reply. I will keep you posted.

-V