Eric Clapton's Reptile DVD-A, can't get surround in advanced resolution.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickM, Dec 19, 2001.

1. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Does anybody else have this DVD-A? I put it in after listening to the Eagles Hotel California and found that even when I choose the surround playlist I only get 24/88.2 2 channel sound just like the stereo playlist.

The Hotel California and the Joni Mitchell Both Sides Now I tried worked perfectly in both stereo and surround modes.

Patrick

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Check the set-up of your player and make sure that you set all the speakers to YES or ON.
    It seems that this Clapton disc happens to be one of the DVD-A disc that will not downmix the surround mix - so if you have any speakers set to NO - the disc will then default to the stereo mix.
    This exact problem happened to two people on www.audioasylum.com with non-downmixable DVD-Audio discs and the Technics DVD-A10.
    So check your set-up and make sure every speaker is set to ON.
    The only problem you might have is that if you don't have, let's say a Center Channel speaker, but you set it to ON, whatever would normally go to the Center Channel will not be reproduced in the mix - since it should be going to a speaker that you have set to ON - but don't actually have.

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Michael,

Thanks for the info. The only thing I don't have on is the subwoofer since I haven't bought one yet. I'll try it out.

Thanks again,

Patrick