What's new

Enterprise moving to 9pm...... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
According to www.zap2it.com Enterprise will be moving to 9pm.

'Enterprise' Moves, 'Mullets' Back from Dead on UPN
(Tuesday, January 27 10:54 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - UPN has always said that "The Mullets" went on hiatus when it was yanked from the schedule in October, but most observers assumed the show was dead.
And we all know what happens when you assume: "The Mullets" comes back.

The business-in-front, party-in-back sitcom will return to the air on Wednesday, March 10. It will air at 8:30 p.m. ET, following the premiere of UPN's computer-animated series "Game Over" at 8. "Star Trek: Enterprise" is moving back an hour to 9 p.m.

"Enterprise's" move to 9 p.m. -- one of primetime's most competitive hours -- solves a minor dilemma for the network. UPN is currently airing repeats of "America's Next Top Model" in the timeslot, but the reality series will have ended its season by early March.
The schedule shuffle also appears to bury freshman sci-fi series "Jake 2.0" a little deeper. It was pulled for the "Top Model" repeats earlier this month, and production recently shut down.

Of course, "The Mullets" was in a similar situation last fall, and look what happened.

Eric C D

Second Unit
Great... :angry:

I watch either "West Wing" or "Angel" and tape the other. Then there's the O.C. which has been making a dent into those audiences.

Methinks this move will kill Enterprise.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This could be good news and it was something I was thinking UPN should do in light of Jake 2.0's cancellation. It's the traditional timeslot for past Trek shows. I don't know Angel so I have no idea if it will be able to compete. West Wing's audience and Trek's is likely not the same and while Smallville may or may not have hurt Trek, it won't hurt to get away from it as the audience is likely similar.

I think that the two shows that will lead into Enterprise, Mullets and this other new show could be good for Enterprise as it looks like they are appealing to a younger audience. If the show can keep it's current viewers and attract newer ones from the lead in, and with the change in the shows quality (whether you believe it's better or not) may be enough to keep it going. I think it's improved and if Proving Ground is an indication and they've got as good as this coming, they might pull out of this spin.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How so? Voyager was there for a few seasons, after being on Monday at 8am when UPN launched. TNG and DS9, as syndicated shows, didn't have a national time-slot, though Saturday at 7pm seemed to be the most common for TNG (though I remember our local Fox station having it Tuesday at 8pm before Fox broadcast all week); DS9 was all over the map, from Sunday 8pm to Saturday at 10pm (WGME-Portland must have been the last station in the country to show it every week, and they pissed off fans of Walker, Texas Ranger).

This is shuffling deck chairs, though - I suppose Angel is slighly weaker competition, but there 9pm Wednesday seems more crowded than 8pm. For me, this will basically mean I can tape That 70s Show while the Replay gets Smallville. If I were UPN, I might reverse Game Over and The Mullets, just because I don't see how the redneck show fits between the two nerd shows.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I think this is a very smart move. I think Enterprise loses a lot of potential audience to Smallville and other shows in that slot. The show has really shown improvement this past year, and it deserves to be seen by a wider audience.

If they were smart, they would cut together some promos highlighting many of the terrific episodes from this past season. Maybe that would hook some people who aren't normally Trek fans.

Wasn't Quantum Leap's timeslot Wednesdays at 9 for a while?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe UPN is following the Donald's lead (The Apprentice moving to Thursdays on NBC) and not wanting to face the American Idol Results show juggernaut on Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. EST.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Update from Star Trek.com. Some speculate this is a temporary time change due to the specific dates. It could also mean that these are dates for first run episodes:

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Competing with Angel is not a great idea, but, the 9pm slot is thought of as the time for dramas, which Enterprise certainly is. I suspect this testing-of-the-9pm-waters will be beneficial for Enterprise's ratings, attracting a larger adult audience.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Technically, I suppose, but I tend to think of it more as an "action hour" than a drama. It certainly seems pretty lightweight when you compare it to most in the "drama" category.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
This move shows how much Paramount and UPN are in denial about this show.
Instead of handing the show over to people that could make it bettter(I dont know, maybe its too late) they movie it to 9:00 where its already one of the most heavily saturated nights on TV with Angel and O.C and The West Wing.
I really dont think it has to do with timeslot anymore I think fans would be watching if it were good and most have abandoned the franchise already.
Too little, too late!

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Let's say you're running a barely-viable "network" and have a severely limited amount of decent programming with which to populate your schedule. Let's say you have an expensive show that is probably a lost cause due to tanking in the ratings.

Wouldn't it be a reasonable idea to use that show to fill a spot on the schedule where you're hopelessly outclassed no matter what you do? In theory, that may be a good way to allocate your resources (decent programming) if such a network and such a show were to exist...

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
What do you guys think would be the best timeslot for "Enterprise" ?

Mondays at 8? Tuesdays at 8? Another day?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But, instead, could result in more eyes for "American Idol Results" and then "The OC".
Timeslot is sort of a false issue. When Enterprise runs doesn't matter, the hardcore Trek-fan audience the franchise has been reduced to will tune in any time. It needs to be good enough, or seen as cool enough, to attract a bigger audience to it.

No matter what timeslot you've got, there's going to be decent competition; the mythical timeslot where there's no entrenched competition and lots of viewers doesn't exist in a six-network universe. That said, I'd try something really nutty and swap it with Smackdown!. The only other action hour on in that time period is Threat Matrix, and it puts the network's highest rated show (I think it does better than the WWE, if just barely) on the night when advertisers are trying to get at the most eyeballs. Then I'd stick an unscripted show after it, because there's no point in putting comedies against NBC or action/drama against CSI.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I agree. The timeslot stopped being an issue with this show after the first season. People sampled the show and saw that the quality was up to par with Voyager which is not a good thing. The Trek audience started abandoning the franchise from there and hasnt been able to bounce back from there. I think the damage has been done and a timeslot move wont help.
So no, I don't think there would be a better timeslot. Trek has a horrible image now with this, Voyager and the last two movies.

Users who are viewing this thread