What's new

"Enterprise" Broadcast on UPN9 in NY Problem? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have a question about tonight's broadcast of Enterprise on UPN9 in NY.
My reception was horribly Blurry and in MONO. Not sure if this was a transmission problem due to the WTC tragedy or a local Cable problem (Cablevision Of NJ).
Anyone else experience this problem? It more or less ruined the presentation for me
frown.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
UPN9's picture has never been great, but I agree that tonight's was worse than usual. As for the sound, I've given up on them. When they do manage stereo, it's usually distorted.
M.

BobV

Second Unit
Since I'm always gone during the time that Star Trek is on I have to tape it. I usually used to tape it from WSBK (Boston), on Canadian satellite, but they have always had a washed out muddy picture and not the best sound, soooo I thought I'd tape off of CityTV (Toronto-satellite) this time.... not as muddy, more vibrant but still blurry and as you have reported, MONO on CityTV as well (what the heck?!).
Rest assured, now that I've found out it's prefeed is Tuesday evenings on T5-16 I'll be taping the originating feed... commercial free and first generation picture quality :) .
[Edited last by BobV on September 27, 2001 at 02:00 AM]

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I was a noisy picture to be sure. Plus there was about 30 seconds where it crapped out altogether. It was in stereo though. From now on, I am going to tape the Canadian feed of this off C-Band and watch it that way...especially since UPN can't be bothered to offer this in HD.
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic
Scooter-Palooza 2..Be There or Be Square!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../030866.html#5
[Edited last by Scooter on September 27, 2001 at 12:46 PM]

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yeah same problem here. I have Time Warner DTV and the picture was horrible
Capt

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The transmission here in South Florida (Advanced Cable) was fair. Sound was in stereo and picture was the same as usual, a bit grainy. On three ocassions the picture froze or cut out for up to 5 seconds.
------------------

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
New York City will have only fair reception for many stations via cable because the WTC had the transmission towers. They're using backup ones on the Empire State building which are lower power. This situation could continue for up to a year or more according to ShowBiz Data.
------------------

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: New York City will have only fair reception for many stations via cable because the WTC had the transmission towers. [/quote] Those are two different things, Peter. The loss of the transmission towers affected over-the-air broadcasting, but not cable. My friend who lives downtown and usually gets pristine reception from local channels lost all but one of them on 9/11, and most still aren't back. OTOH, subscribers to Time Warner Cable (like me) never lost reception and have continued to receive good-quality transmissions for most stations.
UPN9's transmission over TW-NYC cable was bad before 9/11, and it's still bad. It just happened to be worse last night.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 27, 2001 at 09:18 AM]

Damian

Agent
I live in the San Francisco bay area, but my UPN is from New York via Dishnetwork. The picture was absolutly horrid. Totally washed out and blurry. No color what so ever.
Didn't notice much on the sound since I didn't turn my stereo on but I'll take all your words for it.
Not a visually pleasing experiance.
------------------
-Damian

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the image here in mid-missouri looked good, BUT!!!!! UPN was OUT until 7:30, so what i recorded missed the entire first part, it came back on when 3 of them were eating and vulcans wouldnt eat with their hands, so i turned it off, i dindt want to come in half a hour late. luckily, according to tvguide.com in my area the show will be rebroadast saturday at 7 pm here, so i'm hoping to catch it then.
------------------

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well, it's something of a relief that it wasn't just a problem with NYU cable, which can be pretty finicky at times. A shame, though, that I've now got a pristine S-VHS recording with plenty of noise and in mono.
------------------
Link Removed
"Sex? We're men! We wrestled!"
-Barton Fink

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
we had one cutout here in Philly, but the picture was fine OTA. It was pretty cool seeing the satellite GUI :)
Jeff Kleist

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Two or 3 times the picture broke up and froze. The first time it went to a computer screen showing "no signal". Sounds like the master feed was bad. Where is UPN based? Cali?
The picture is always bad on UPN here in Jacksonville, Florida. This was on cable.
------------------
Ivan Lindenfeld
I call it "Extreme Hometheater" Ask me about the Audi TT!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I usually used to tape it from WSBK (Boston)
We used to get our UPN from WSBK. Now they setup UPN4 in the Capital Region. While the picture quality is MUCH better, it has annoying crap-out where it freezes, goes to a computer screen for a couple of seconds, then goes to a UPN4 technical difficulties logo for a couple of seconds, then goes back to the show. This never happens during the 8 minute commerical breaks, however. I swear, there was more ad time then actual program from the Enterprise premeire.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks