What's new

Empire 1 Cinema Leicester Square London (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Farewell Piccadilly
Near The Empire Leicester Square
Marble Arch for demolition
I'll stay home so won't see you there.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm Bmoor said:
Farewell Piccadilly
Near The Empire Leicester Square
Marble Arch for demolition
I'll stay home so won't see you there.
Home cinema is truly ultimate best than commercial cinema and I'd never thought I'd be typing it.

Cinema is so alike with home cinema now. In terms of hardware technology only the home has its sized condensed down a bit.

We all have nice seating big projection screen over the TV standard sizes. Wicked awesome sound systems that can be tailored costumed to beat even an imax standards. Oh, sorry I meant LIEMAX screens.

:)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Its not called imax its called "LIEMAX"

They can keep its LIEMAX Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Douglas R said:
Empire have announced that the IMAX screen will open on 30 May with EDGE OF TOMORROW.
thanks Douglas at last, I will go just to check it out, also I have heard that the new Curzon Cinema in Victoria has not even got any projection
boxes, they lower the projector for any problems with all the amps etc.. behind the screen.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
andySu said:
Its not called imax its called "LIEMAX"

They can keep its LIEMAX Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise.
OK we get it!

I miss the old Empire as well but times change and there's no point living in the past. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new Empire.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Douglas R said:
OK we get it!

I miss the old Empire as well but times change and there's no point living in the past. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new Empire.
Good for you then go and blow waste your money sitting on cheap BEAN BAGS.

Yeah that is some mega crowd of people I see queuing up outside the Empire LIEMAX. They all seem to be walking past it.

I bet the tiny impact screen is not even half full up today.

10295789_638144982941619_4628990415869796350_n.jpg

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
When I will be going I will be sitting on luxury seating, also with a large screen and Dolby Atmos it will stillbe better than anything in Leicester Square, as Douglas says you have to go with the times.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
When I will be going I will be sitting on luxury seating, also with a large screen and Dolby Atmos it will stillbe better than anything in Leicester Square, as Douglas says you have to go with the times.
Sorry I have strong willpower and backbone. I wouldn't waste £20.00 on coach travel fair for over 2 hours on a coach and £8.00 on tube fair and £18.00 at LIEMAX, I would rather eat cat food than go to that cinema again.

I can play any film I have at home at any time in the day or night or early morning hours. Why should I give that up, to in the once grand cinema now faded into the history books.

Empire Leicester Square moving with times with LIEMAX R.I.P. :(

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Sorry I have strong willpower and backbone. I wouldn't waste £20.00 on coach travel fair for over 2 hours on a coach and £8.00 on tube fair and £18.00 at LIEMAX, I would rather eat cat food than go to that cinema again.

I'm with you almost all the way but the cat food might be the dealbreaker. However, I've given up all cinemas of late owing to most of the films being for children, played massively too loud and accompanied by the sound & stench of popcorn.

I use the cafe and shop at London's National Film Theatre but don't see films there as, despite the absence of popcorn, the sound level, especially for optical tracks & tv productions, is always ear splitting and it's impossible to speak to anyone about it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm Bmoor said:

I'm with you almost all the way but the cat food might be the dealbreaker. However, I've given up all cinemas of late owing to most of the films being for children, played massively too loud and accompanied by the sound & stench of popcorn.

I use the cafe and shop at London's National Film Theatre but don't see films there as, despite the absence of popcorn, the sound level, especially for optical tracks & tv productions, is always ear splitting and it's impossible to speak to anyone about it.
I absolutely agree with you.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
That Empire 1 back in its 1980's heyday sounded terrific. I still remember Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade in 70mm THX (and many others). The directional sound FX were great, the walls of water at the beginning when Indy is on the boat in the storm to this day I cannot recreate that at home on any format @ any SPL!! Then the tank firing shells in the desert also sounded incredible & so life like truly at the time one of the greatest theatrical experiences.

Stupid business decision to remodel but for years numbers were dropping after the Odeon chain got the monopoly on premieres & film booking's they should have just kept the main screen & sold the rest of the real estate to pay for it.

I only live a few miles away from it but still not interested in the new Screen 1. You can never ever replace the THX theatre with Laser Light show experience they used to run along with that classic art decor interior, coloured lighting & lush comfortable seats.

RIP Empire 1.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Warren said:
That Empire 1 back in its 1980's heyday sounded terrific. I still remember Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade in 70mm THX (and many others). The directional sound FX were great, the walls of water at the beginning when Indy is on the boat in the storm to this day I cannot recreate that at home on any format @ any SPL!! Then the tank firing shells in the desert also sounded incredible & so life like truly at the time one of the greatest theatrical experiences.

Stupid business decision to remodel but for years numbers were dropping after the Odeon chain got the monopoly on premieres & film booking's they should have just kept the main screen & sold the rest of the real estate to pay for it.

I only live a few miles away from it but still not interested in the new Screen 1. You can never ever replace the THX theatre with Laser Light show experience they used to run along with that classic art decor interior, coloured lighting & lush comfortable seats.

RIP Empire 1.
^^ Agree :popcorn:

I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (twice) on September 13 1989 and I can recall precisely how it sounded/felt on the playback over the local cinema where I saw it three times in 70mm Dolby Stereo, before being wowed at Empire 1.

I liked the feeling of the Holy Grail water being pored on Indy's dad and felt that in the John Williams score pinching me in the stomach. I think I was 5 rows back centre/line I didn't take the seat I was given and the auditorium was about 200 or so scattered around at the time.

When I got the ticket I ran up the foyer stairs and into the cinema and was GOB SMACKED! STUNNED and then started walking down the (right side inner aisle) looking up at the ceiling and the side walls with split surrounds playing. The scene at the time was where Indy was running across the train.

I missed about 12 minutes of the film but that didn't bother me as I was allowed to see the film again for free when I explained, And so I saw the THX Cimmron trailer sat in circle row AA seat 22. WOW, BLIMEY! The bass mid still had a wicked punch some 20 meters back from the screen.

I think the JBL 4675-A was comprised of x4 15" cabs per five-stage channel (in magazine that I read in early 1990) and x8 4645 18" subs and x22 JBL 8330 surrounds and x15 JBL Urei 6290 amps maybe not so special today but that sound system was so awesomely brilliant and nicely aligned EQ tuned. THX 3417 crossover/monitor handed all the crossover for the stage channels. Dolby CP200 processor and Dolby MPU1 preamp was magic for the sound. :)

I knew the sound mix by then like off the back of my hand. The clarity was a lot better with lower lows and higher highs with no distortion.

Directional dialouge panning across the stage channels LCR had me looking left to right when performers deliver their lines.

Foley effects was more felt with punches that jolted me back in those lovely red rocker seats that where so comfortable. Its shame to what ever happened to those seats?

The tank scene in the film was thrillingly exciting when the John Williams score kicked in with uncompressed audio. THUMB to the chest! Brutal, wicked! When that tank went diving off the cliff GOD DAMN! It SHUDDERED the Empire.

10347428_10152430671375149_4466166146091208227_n.jpg

When leaving Empire in the early evening I saw billboard for STAR TREK all day in 70mm. I bought my ticket same seat when I saw Indy 3 for second time as I liked what I was hearing and feeling in that seat even with dialouge panning and effects.

STAR TREK 70mm marathon was out of this world. Best I have ever listened to the films over the local cinema.

The Laser show made my day with Klingon bird of pray and Enterprise having a battle on the tabs curtains between each performance.

I can even recall the laser running astray across the side walls with red single beam dot and it didn't distract me I thought it was rather :dancing-banana-04: exciting.
STAR TREK 1 35mm Dolby Stereo A-type scope, sounded more like, 70mm.

STAR TREK II kicked off in 70mm and that was huge noticeable difference at the start of the film the James Horner score playing over the Paramount Pictures mountain had 40Hz pulse rising up and down and pressing on my body.

When the Enterprise was attacked it felt like a lorry had crashed into the side of the cinema it felt like Enterprise was really under attack from KHANNNNNNN. lol Oh yeah it was ball of 70mm Dolby THX fun that day. :thumbs-up-smiley:

STAR TREK III 70mm the stealing the Enterprise WOW the score was pressing on my body and when the space dock doors opened SLAM JOLT in centre stage bass channel and then subs kicked in active going down lower as the Enterprise, backs out of the space station. The score was still slamming me in the chest with that downward shot angle of Enterprise and the as she moves around the space station towards camera, all I can feel was stage bass authority pumping and kicking me in the chest and stomach. When she went to warp Speed the Empire JOLTED with almighty KICK of DEPTH and WHOOSH last sound I heard was on the surrounds.

The time travel warp speed in STAR TREK V, awesome. It felt like when travelling up by coach in the early morning the Empire vibrated with physical feel. Yes it would be hard to do it in the home but not impossible.

STAR TREK V was the only film that had THX Cimmron trailer that started the film off.

The film had lots of dialogue panning from the start of the film (that is botched up on bluray) best version is the SE DVD edition so there it is.

God, was really angry and his wrath was felt rather chesty feeling, brilliant.

10342457_10152430671470149_7358550515031563551_n.jpg

Last time I saw 70mm at Empire was STAR TREK VI (three times) and was also invited into the booth for cups of coffee biscuits and even in the coffee room which faces the auditorium on that slightly concrete floor, I could feel the shock wave at the second screening of of the first day (February 14th 1992) the floor vibrated and me and the projectionist just laughed.

Between cups of coffee I popped in the Empire 1 and sat in few other seats and walked around the back of the seating listening to the surrounds. The tone sound was so choice back then,

Last few pictures I took of Empire 1 May 9th 2013. STID

10301527_10152430420945149_6092760894438259112_n.jpg

10270391_10152430420795149_393391245225276326_n.jpg

10371728_10152430420990149_8555486827763195140_n.jpg

10356361_10152430421055149_1079220164508945232_n.jpg

10288797_10152430421095149_3103022267155037608_n.jpg

10365800_10152430421140149_6006767168155778771_n.jpg

10382770_10152430421215149_2527172796104318971_n.jpg

10378316_10152430421255149_8209485068886970522_n.jpg

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the pics & memories Andy however I will raise you this little lot (I have a lot more but you get the point ;) ) I was even at the same Trek marathon as you with my brothers on 08/10/89 :D quite some special day (apart from the brutal toilet breaks & people rushing for it at the end of STMP as the Enterprise appears on the vast screen :angry: ) oh well what can you do they no longer make many films worth watching @ the Empire 1 in its heyday :rolleyes:
SAVE0001.JPG

SAVE0002.JPG

SAVE0003.JPG

Saw Indy 3, BTTF 2 & 3, Star Trek 6 at least 9 times each at Empire 1 :) such happy days. BTTF2 best sound was the jet appearing in the alternate 1985 or the directional FX on the hoverboard chase in 2015 hill valley town square or the Delorean time travel before the main titles (which sounded terrific & still do to this day even if the BD's of BTTF have average PQ compared to how they should look!).

BTTF3 was the train at the end crashing into the ravine, Docs Jules Verne train appearing out of nowhere & the entire climax leading up to that such stellar sound editing made even more special by the wonderful Empire 1 accoustics & THX equipment.

ST6 & infact all the first 8 Trek films I also saw at the very front row to get that flying in space feeling ;) but the sound on the front row was so loud it dronwed out the bass at times & rear FX. So repeat viewings were from the first circle row usually so no-one tall could block out our view of the screen!

True Lies was also a very special experience in DTS 70mm with the flying DTS CD logo. Such incredible clear sound & super deep bass those Jump Jets sounded & looked real from the front row. Hopefully the BD will come later this year & earn some new fans its still a terrific Bondian movie to me!

Jurassic Park was another very special experience in DTS. The bass oommp from the first Dinosaur reveal & T-Rex roar were so intense in the front row they even appeared to turn the air con up at those moments such atmospheric & brilliant cinematic moments :D

I am sure one day someone somewhere will recreate the Empire 1 when they are wealthy enough to do it justice & could just show these glorious old movies the way they are meant to be shown forever ;)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Wow Paul, I'm drooling over the tickets. I heard about a another STAR TREK MARATHON for Generations. Was the films STAR TREK II to VI in 70mm? I heard that cast and William Shanter was there? Or was that for only première?

I see that you was at the (Feb 14th 1992, 15:30 hours) show for STAR TREK VI at A front row and I might have saw you there as I popped down into the cinema to watch the opening at front row centre/line and then after the shock wave popped back up into the booth and give my feedback to the projectionist Iliker, who served up more cups of coffee, He even showed me 35mm print of STAR TREK VI Dolby SR that was used for back-up and was covered up on the platter at the far left end of the booth.

Indy 3 played for a few months. Films or hard-drives today only do 4 weeks or less and don't have the same appeal as 70mm road shows.

So you and your bothers was sat in DD row, just 3 rows behind me. I might have glanced around and noticed you and some several hundreds more and turning around some 900 + or so more as it was a full house for £10.00 best £10.00 I ever spent for 70mm Dolby THX and I didn't even go to the toilet once. I was too comfortable in that rocker seat and watching the laser show on the curtains. :)

Was the STAR TREK '87 quadruple 70mm?

Also so CAPE FEAR Dolby SR, Empire 1 for free as I just popped up London for interview at Odeon West End and after I left I was able to get into CAPE FEAR for free and it missed the first 40 mins of the film but sounded punchy on Max Cady, scene where he attacks the PI in the kitchen. The hand gun slammed into me with a kick at front row centreline seat.

The sub bass extension added slam kick punch when Cady and Sam Bowden, swapped punches even a few rocks throw that jolted me several times back in the rocker as I bit nervous about sudden loud sounds or even roller-coater rides at theme parks.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
andySu said:
Wow Paul, I'm drooling over the tickets. I heard about a another STAR TREK MARATHON for Generations. Was the films STAR TREK II to VI in 70mm? I heard that cast and William Shanter was there? Or was that for only première?
Did not think they ever did more than Treks 1-6 as 7 was more of an TNG movie (still sounded pretty good though the opening champagne bottle through space sounded incredible when the sound level increased really came to life then a chest thumping bang when the bottle hit the hull of the Ent-B !! Not 100% sure but do not remember 1-7 marathon being played there perhaps at the Plaza Piccadilly Circus. Shatner went to the premiere of 7 not sure he went inside to watch the movie though or left straight away........ 1-6 marathon meant you got there for 9am start for STMP then did not leave the cinema until after 10PM in the evening every film played with only a 10 min or so break. So the toilet breaks were brutal as that cinema held around 1330 people & was fully booked to the limit & still a few over that sat in the aisles getting to the toilet within 10 mins fighting 1330 people was brutal on the bladder!! Still an amazing experience & atmosphere as everyone was a fan so great way to watch those 6 movies together for the last time.

I see that you was at the (Feb 14th 1992, 15:30 hours) show for STAR TREK VI at A front row and I might have saw you there as I popped down into the cinema to watch the opening at front row centre/line and then after the shock wave popped back up into the booth and give my feedback to the projectionist Iliker, who served up more cups of coffee, He even showed me 35mm print of STAR TREK VI Dolby SR that was used for back-up and was covered up on the platter at the far left end of the booth.
I do remember someone doing that a few times so perhaps I did see you....long time ago but I seem to remember that person wearing jeans/trainers as well!

Indy 3 played for a few months. Films or hard-drives today only do 4 weeks or less and don't have the same appeal as 70mm road shows.
Indy 3 played @ Empire 1 from July-Sept 89 I think I remember seeing one of the last shows in Sept @ Empire 1 before it went over to Piccadily Plaza 1 for a few months it had a long run back in those days! (saw Indy 3, ST5, Bttf2+3 etc etc @ Plaza as well quite a few times no DVD in those days just a 12 months + wait to get the NTSC laserdisc!

So you and your brothers was sat in DD row, just 3 rows behind me. I might have glanced around and noticed you and some several hundreds more and turning around some 900 + or so more as it was a full house for £10.00 best £10.00 I ever spent for 70mm Dolby THX and I didn't even go to the toilet once. I was too comfortable in that rocker seat and watching the laser show on the curtains. :)
Yeah those seats were very comfortable back then.......1330 people though it was fully booked I remember asking the manager who used to stay the entire day to oversee it ran smoothly he said they were always popular which is why he pushed for them to be shown @ Empire 1.

Was the STAR TREK '87 quadruple 70mm?
70mm think so all the prints seemed the same as the ones used in 1989 & 1992 STMP was fading a bit & had the same old scratches as did TWOK but 3 looked great as did 5. 4 looked very grainy but sounded terrific in 70mm THX the time warp scenes exploding Enterprise footage from the previous movie & the little seen outside Europe prologue recapping ST2+3 had some new sound mixes including front to back warp speed sound pans & a brief but memorable new musical score as well as strong bass on the space dock doors opening scenes. They also played the THX intro I think only for the last movie not everytime.

Also so CAPE FEAR Dolby SR, Empire 1 for free as I just popped up London for interview at Odeon West End and after I left I was able to get into CAPE FEAR for free and it missed the first 40 mins of the film but sounded punchy on Max Cady, scene where he attacks the PI in the kitchen. The hand gun slammed into me with a kick at front row centreline seat.

The sub bass extension added slam kick punch when Cady and Sam Bowden, swapped punches even a few rocks throw that jolted me several times back in the rocker as I bit nervous about sudden loud sounds or even roller-coater rides at theme parks. As you know thats why its so tragic that screen has gone forever the sound was unbelieveable even on lower budget material it just brought movies to life & was a long way ahead of its time. I also saw Alive there & that was brutal sound on the plane breakup. Then even something B movie like Congo sounded amazing in THX. Both Frank Marshall directed films as well because.......... check out this great new today article on the making of Indy 2.......scroll down the page for the last picture Frank Marshall has posted in the interview (from his & and wife Kathleen Kennedy's) personal collection of Frank Marshall/George Lucas/Robert Watts meeting Princess Diana @ Empire Leicster Square for the Indy 2 premiere back in 1984 ;)
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67370

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Can you remember the loss of the mag track on STAR TREK IV when the Bird of Prey was flying blind as bat down towards the Golden Gate Bridge and all of suddenly a loss of sound for at least around 15 seconds? Not uncommon to happen to mag as I have heard centre top end loss on BATMAN (1989) at local cinema in 70mm around late 1990's and it sounded cool and just looking at my watch and counting how long its lasting. On BATMAN it lasted for least minute during the scene where Vicky Vale finds out Brice is BATMAN "I'M BATMAN" lol.

I thought the 70mm prints of STAR TREK was in great shape and I have seen STAR TREK II in 70mm at the local cinema 1982 not that I was aware at the time.

Yeah I glanced though the ain't it cool.

Had to see Congo at the local and have it on Laserdisc THX AC-3 and DVD but prefer the Laserdisc as its film I rarely play now. Saw at least 3 times I think at the local MGM screen 1, Dolby stereo.

Seen all the STAR TREK's at ABC screen 1 then though the years it changed to Cannon then MGM then back to ABC? Make up your minds? :laugh:

Saw STAR TREK 1 in screen 1 December 1979, first day. STAR TREK II 70mm a few years later in the afternoon screen 1. STAR TREK double bill in screen 2 downstairs a few years later. STAR TREK III screen 1, when it opened on first day. STAR TREK triple bill in screen 2 a few years later. STAR TREK IV screen 1 special preview and still have the ticket.

STAR TREK V first at EMPIRE 1 then again at Cannon screen 1 a week later.

Saw STAR TREK VI again at UCI tower park screen 6 Dolby Stereo SR a week or so after I saw it EMPIRE, only the impact wasn't the same at the opening it still sounded good in, SR.

Saw STAR TREK V and VI 70mm at MGM screen 1 mid/late 90's and I can still remember the EMPIRE impact of the THX sound system too vividly still. It still sounded great on the same JBL 4675-A that Empire had only there was 1 bass cab per each 5-stage channel and just x1 JBL 4645 18" sub and no baffle wall.

But the clarity and tone was still there and I was looking left to right with dialouge panning across the screen. Sat front row centreline and good sight-line of the screen. The split surrounds on STAR TREK IV was bit faint as the surrounds in the cinema had some snags with buzzing sound and lose of 2 out of the 6 on the back wall.

The condition of the prints was in fine shape and large hair that I can remember getting between the film gate and less looked towering high on the screen. The projectionist cleared the hair after noticing it some 5 or so minutes later.

Its something I don't see on my projector hairs getting stuck to the lens :laugh: I wonder if it ever happens with digital projection I haven't seen any large hairs in years.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
andySu said:
Can you remember the loss of the mag track on STAR TREK IV when the Bird of Prey was flying blind as bat down towards the Golden Gate Bridge and all of suddenly a loss of sound for at least around 15 seconds? Not uncommon to happen to mag as I have heard centre top end loss on BATMAN (1989) at local cinema in 70mm around late 1990's and it sounded cool and just looking at my watch and counting how long its lasting. On BATMAN it lasted for least minute during the scene where Vicky Vale finds out Brice is BATMAN "I'M BATMAN" lol. Never noticed that but did notice a lot of drop outs when they started showing DTS movies. Waterworld, Jurassic Park, True Lies all had severe dropouts & you could tell it reverted to the backup track as the SPL change was massive until the DTS sync kicked back in.

I thought the 70mm prints of STAR TREK was in great shape and I have seen STAR TREK II in 70mm at the local cinema 1982 not that I was aware at the time.
Yeah they were really good prints. In those days only the London showcase cinemas used to even get new prints the rest of the country had to put up with used prints from the US which is one of the reasons why it took 6 months or longer for films to cross the atlantic.

Seen all the STAR TREK's at ABC screen 1 then though the years it changed to Cannon then MGM then back to ABC? Make up your minds? :laugh:
Saw all of those on original release in local cinemas then ST3 onwards saw them all @ the Empire on release day.

STAR TREK V first at EMPIRE 1 then again at Cannon screen 1 a week later.
ST5 was only ever shown @ Empire 1 as part of the Trek Marathon because of its weak US box office they opened it to Plaza 1 @ Piccadilly.

Saw STAR TREK VI again at UCI tower park screen 6 Dolby Stereo SR a week or so after I saw it EMPIRE, only the impact wasn't the same at the opening it still sounded good in, SR.
ST6 used an early digital soundtrack not sure it played this print in UK though.

Saw STAR TREK V and VI 70mm at MGM screen 1 mid/late 90's and I can still remember the EMPIRE impact of the THX sound system too vividly still. It still sounded great on the same JBL 4675-A that Empire had only there was 1 bass cab per each 5-stage channel and just x1 JBL 4645 18" sub and no baffle wall.
Agree that screen was unbelievable even the adverts/trailers sounded amazing!

But the clarity and tone was still there and I was looking left to right with dialouge panning across the screen. Sat front row centreline and good sight-line of the screen. The split surrounds on STAR TREK IV was bit faint as the surrounds in the cinema had some snags with buzzing sound and lose of 2 out of the 6 on the back wall.

ST4 also had the European prologue which Paramount asked Harve Bennett/Leonard Nimoy to create especially to sell 4 outside US as traditionally only UK & Germany were big Trek markets then. That prologue featured some great music from Leornard Rosenmman as well as a new naration from William Shatner. The directional sound FX were remixed so the warp shots from previous movies featured great front to back surround pans as well as deep bass when the Enterprise blows up from ST3. To hear all of this in Empire 1 was amazing it was only just over 3 mins long but made for a great pre-ST4 main title experience.

Sadly Paramount have not yet included this on the BD & probably never will unless they can put some effort into the 50th anniversary of TOS.

At Empire 1 ST4 also had a giant green Klingon Bird Of Prey model outside suspended by wires hanging above where the main balcony is outside facing the Square to attract moviegoers in!

When ST4 opened in April 1987 as it took so long to cross the Atlantic the word of mouth meant the Empire 1 was absolutely packed. I remember being in the foyer with several 100 people crammed in like sardines on the London Underground waiting to get into screen1. The Empire management panicked as it was obvious the place was getting dangerously overcrowded so they gave the order to open the outer doors to the theatre. The ushers also opened the inner doors by mistake & we got to see the Enterprise leaving spacedock & warping off which made the atmosphere even more magical. That was a great night it was so packed out & the atmosphere was electric everyone enjoyed the movie it got laughs in the right places, plenty of cheers & a standing ovation at the end. As we came out there was another long line outside waiting to get in for the next performance they had to force everyone to leave by the cinema exits the over crowding was insane it was the only way to manage it without people getting crushed & this was a 1330 capacity theatre obviously!
Such a great cinema but sadly lost forever now.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The 70mm print of True Lies was 70mm Magnetic SR with Stereo Surrounds, the best show I saw at the Empire was Logans Runin 70mm 6 Track Stereo one of the best 6 track mixes I have ever heard.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
The 70mm print of True Lies was 70mm Magnetic SR with Stereo Surrounds, the best show I saw at the Empire was Logans Runin 70mm 6 Track Stereo one of the best 6 track mixes I have ever heard.
Todd-AO five screen wide with mono surround with A-type.I would like if Dolby hadn't messed up Dolby AC-3 for the consumer market with Laserdisc so that it has format codes in the same way as 70mm does; Then we can have Logan's Run with 5 screen and single mono surround.

What we get on consumer is waste of a two channels. LFE.1 wasn't used on Logan's Run 70mm.

Well I'm glad the mix isn't a total mess on bluray as it has all the directional dialouge and sound effects panning to the positions of on screen action.

The mono surrounds.

Use the 7.1 as follows its not that hard to do.

LCR as normal
Side wall surround carry a duel mono surround
Rear back to carry the left-centre / right-centre (all needed is simple re-plugging of my Sony SDDS processor to put the Le Re in their proper places.
LFE.1 scape it its not needed keep the mix as it was intended for theatrical exhibition. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks