What's new

Emotiva amp did you get their pre-amp or are you running off your receiver? (1 Viewer)

kcmusa

Auditioning
Real Name
kelly morgan
For the people with this equipnment did you also get their pre-amp or Preamplifier/Processor ?

What do you thing of it?

For thoes who are running off a receiver you have, are you happy with the added power?

If you had to do it over again what would you do?

I am setting up my own media room, its 19x20. It has the Owens Corning wall pannels and a drop celing with floating carpeted floor.

I am working on the electronics. Receiver and speakers. Budget of 4-5K

I have listened to Definitive Technology BP7006 , I did not like the sound, not much mid and highs for my taste.

Some Klipsch model RF-8?, these were OK. like them better than the DT's.

martin logan Clarity, liked these the most

Still debating on 5.1 or 7.1 and rear speakers, receiver or seperates.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Kelly, I recently added an Emotiva XPA-5 to my system. I was already using a very powerful external amp for the L&R since my main speakers are difficult to drive. I used to have separates years ago. I am currently using a receiver (Pioneer VSX-56TXi) as a head unit. More power is always a good thing, but don't expect it to be all about playing louder.

I am planning on going back to separates, but I am waiting for the Emotiva XMC-1 to show up, then I'll decide what to do.

If you like the Martin Logans, go with them.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kelly:

I agree with John. If you like the MLs then that is what you should go with. The speakers in your system are going to make your listening environment. No one else but you has to approve of the overall sound.

Having said that have you checked out Magnepan?

Parker

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Kelly,

I actually went the other way around. I was using the Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro with a receiver for the receivers amps as I wanted HDMI input/outputs and HD codecs... I've sinced invested in the Emotiva XPA-5 and UPA-2 and moved the receiver to other duties in the home.

That said, I've been pleased with the Emotiva combo and will probably never go back to an all in one AVR route for my main home theater...

However, I also like the approach NAD has taken in the AVR arena by having swapable "cards" when whenever the make upgrades. This is sort of like being able to change video cards in your computer. Hope they can make it work and hopefully others will follow...

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks