What's new

elusive disc is bad for my wallet (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Cruising elusive disc, I came across a real tasty set of SACDs being releases next week. Oh, my poor wallet:
Stakowski: Rhapsodies
And import, $39.99. Too rich for my blood. :frowning:
All the following are hybrids from Analogue productions:
Cannonball Adderley- Know What I Mean?
This is a fantastic album. Analogue has yet to dissappoint- I'm highly recommending this one without having heard the SACD. The music is class A.
John Coltrane- Standard Coltrane
Analogue P is my favorite SACD producers. They're really playing to my tastes! It's Coltrane, how can you not get it?
CCR- Cosmo's Factory, Willy & The Poor Boys
Bill Evans- Moonbeams, Sunday at the Village Vanguard
I have never heard Moonbeams. Village Vanguard is my favorite of the ones I have. The other album of music recorded from these concerts, Waltz For Debby, is already out on SACD. Debby musically is less interesting for my tastes and I lamented that it, not Vanguard, was released on SACD. This has been remedied at last!
Vince Guaraldi, Black Orpheus
I never got into him. He's probably most famous for his trio albums of Charlie Brown music.
Thelonious Monk, 5 By 5
Ah, bestill my beating heart. Monk is man. I am so on this disc.
Art Pepper- Meets the Rhythm Section
Never heard any Art Pepper, believe it or not.
Mobile Fidelity steps up with SACD!
Isaac Hayes- Hot Buttered Soul
Gettin'-it-on music in high-res! Now I can hit on girls with a higher sampling rate.
Fidelis Records:
Astor Piazolla- Histoire Du Tango
I'm not familiar with Piazolla. I just know that he's a huge influence on a lot of songwriters and guitar players.
Tchaikovsky- Seasons
Vivaldi, Bach, Kodaly- Violoncello
Interesting. I remember hearing Kodaly once and liking it. I want this record.
Ok, so I pretty much want all of these. I'm not even kidding. I am both happy that they are being released and angry that I can't have them all now.
Doesn't anyone want to buy me some of these, you know, in appreciation of all my wonderful posts and for being a generally swell guy?
NP: Dr. Octagon, Dr. Octagonycologist

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,
Don't forget about the 45 LPs also on sale as mentioned by Steve Hoffman.
And I second the Adderley album - very good. Mike you are now hurting my wallet (like there's anything left after the Stones spree at midnight!)
Acoustic Sounds rules! :D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Art Pepper- Meets the Rhythm Section
Never heard?!?
Boy are you in for a treat. The XRCD is awesome!
Piazolla is the tango meister supreme. David Chesky via Carlos Franzetti, a well-known composer, has done several tango albums of his music and musical themes.
A recommendation: Orquesta Nova on Chesky. I even worked on this one :) Recorded at the General Theological Seminary (read great acoustics) in the early 90s, this is a modern classical recording of latin/tango themes. Usual Chesky sonics and good performance.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Never heard?!?
I know. There goes my jazz "expert" status on this board. ;)
Lee, there is no way in hell I'm gonna start getting into vinyl. I can't even keep up with SACD, DVD-A, and the slew of CDs I want to get.
I was thinking about this on the way home today: the Analogue Productions discs are the basic technology as the Rolling Stones discs- stereo hybrids of older recording. Yet the Stones discs are going for $12.99 at Best Buy and the Analog Pro jazz discs are $24.99 at elusive disc! :angry:
I desperately need to find an alternative way to get these titles. If they were reasonably priced, I'd get pretty much all of the titles I listed in one fell swoop. Now... I just can't do it. $50 for 2 CDs? Man, that is messed up.
I'm going to explore the Acoustic Sounds site (right after I blow more cash on the Best Buy web site), but if anyone has any alternatives, I would be in your debt.
NP: Oscar Peterson / Michel Legrand, Trail of Dreams: A Canadian Suite, SACD

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just poked around Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc and came to the same conclusion brighter folks on this board already came to a long time ago: Analogue Productions charges more than Telarc, Sony, and most other SACD makers (I was blaming Elusive Disc :b ).
:angry: :angry:
Why? What makes them so special? And why must Murphy's Law come into play and set it up so that their titles are my most desired discs?

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Yeah Mike,

I agree there are quite a few discs coming that will put a dent in the wallet besides the Stones disc. However, I would expect that several of these will probably not make that date. The Stones discs are kind of putting out a monopoly on Hybrid SACD production.

There are some other titles due any time soon coming from Virgin (I will post when they actual start shipping):

Roxy Music - Best of
Adiemus - Songs of Sanctuary
Penguin Cafe Orchestra - A Brief History
Ennio Morricone - The Mission (OST)
Michael Nyman - The Piano (OST)

Hopeful by mid September other titles will start to show.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I agree there are quite a few discs coming that will put a dent in the wallet besides the Stones disc. However, I would expect that several of these will probably not make that date. The Stones discs are kind of putting out a monopoly on Hybrid SACD production.
Hmm. I don't know the logistics of this operation, but I gotta assume that a release date so close to us is going to be kept, as they have not announced anything else.
I just realised that the 30th, when these will be sold by elusive disc, will be a Friday, not a Tuesday. I guess their not stuck under the Tuesday rule of B&Ms.
I also realised that the 30th is pay day and rent day.
Rent... or jazz. Rent... or jazz.
Looks like I'll be sleeping at the Y next month.:)
NP: Billie Holiday, Lady In Satin

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Hmm. I don't know the logistics of this operation, but I gotta assume that a release date so close to us is going to be kept, as they have not announced anything else.
Mike,
I wish that was true. The reason I posted is because I have been waiting for the CCR discs for a while and seen it happen before. As a matter of fact, go to Elusive's site and go into the stereo SACD pre-orders. You will see at the bottom the following titles:
Astor Piazolla - Historie Du Tango
Tchaikovsky - The Seasons
Vivaldi, Bach & Kodaly - Violoncello
None have been released and all are tagged with an August 15 release date. Believe me, I am really looking forward to some of the above titles. But I think you will be safe from the Y for a least a little while. ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Emil,

This concern is why I have not pre-ordered the discs and am waiting until the 30th to see if they actually list them as "In Stock."

NP: Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, it looks like Emil was right. All of these titles are delayed. The date given now is September 24th. The Isaac Hayes is listed for November.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks