Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Elemental (2023)

Genre: Romantic Comedy

Director: Peter Sohn

Release: 2023-06-16

Plot: In a city where fire, water, land, and air residents live together, a fiery young woman and a go-with-the-flow guy are about to discover something elemental: How much they actually have in common. Directed by Peter Sohn and produced by Denise Ream, Disney and Pixar’s Elemental releases June 16, 2023.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new Pixar film for summer 2023 is Elemental. Peter Sohn is directing. His previous directing credits include The Good Dinosaur and Partly Cloudy, the short which played in theaters in front of Up. He has also provided voices in a number of Pixar films, including as Émile in Ratatouille and Sox, Buzz's robot cat companion in Lightyear.

The synopsis, logo and some concept art were posted on Pixar's social media channels today.

Elemental logo.jpg

Elemental concept art.jpg

Pixar said:
In a city where fire, water, land, and air residents live together, a fiery young woman and a go-with-the-flow guy are about to discover something elemental: How much they actually have in common. Directed by Peter Sohn and produced by Denise Ream, Disney and Pixar’s Elemental releases June 16, 2023.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Deadline has a quote from Sohn:

Peter Sohn said:
“My parents emigrated from Korea in the early 1970s and built a bustling grocery store in the Bronx,” said the director. “We were among many families who ventured to a new land with hopes and dreams—all of us mixing into one big salad bowl of cultures, languages and beautiful little neighborhoods. That’s what led me to Elemental.”

“Our story is based on the classic elements — fire, water, land and air,” the director added. “Some elements mix with each other, and some don’t. What if these elements were alive?”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought The Good Dinosaur deserved a better reception than it got so I'm happy to see Pete Sohn getting another shot at a feature.
Peter Sohn was not the original director of The Good Dinosaur. My understanding is he assumed directing duties to finish the retooled movie after Bob Peterson left the project. Although Sohn is the credited director of The Good Dinosaur, retooling a movie that started under someone else has got to be really difficult and is almost certainly a different task than working on something from the ground up. At least based on what we know right now, it seems like Sohn is the originator of this idea. I'm sure directing a film is still a challenge, but that might make the process a little easier.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, Lightyear is the only Pixar title that's been released in theaters since March 2020. Recent Pixar titles have mostly been fodder for D+. Eight months out, there's still time for Disney to make a similar switch for this one.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like the look of this one. Reminds a bit of Zootopia, which is a good thing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The cover for the art book has been revealed.

Art of Elemental.jpeg

Publication date is currently May 16 ahead of the film on June 16.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks good. Looks like it will be worth a trip to the (shudder) theatre.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Am I the only one who felt underwhelmed by that trailer? It looks....fine. I'm sure I'll see it because it is Pixar. But the trailer didn't really make me more excited for it. At this point, I'm more excited to see Carl's Date in front of Elemental than I am to see Elemental itself.

On another note, Disney put up some character posters on social media.

337999332_766913484721820_3786192004375988622_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The premiere of Elemental will close the Cannes Film Festival on May 27.

Cannes has previously included Up, Inside Out and Soul. This makes Elemental the first Pixar film not directed by Pete Doctor to be recognized there. Also, this is kind of early for a premiere considering its release date is June 16. Hopefully this means they are confident in the movie.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks