Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Afire (2023)

Genre: Drama, Romance

Director: Christian Petzold

Cast: Thomas Schubert, Paula Beer, Langston Uibel, Enno Trebs, Matthias Brandt

Release: 2023-04-20

Runtime: 103

Plot: A seaside vacation takes an unexpected turn when Leon and Felix show up at Felix's family's holiday home to discover a woman, Nadja, already there. As an ever-encroaching forest fire threatens their well-being, relationships are tested and romances are kindled.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone else seen AFIRE yet? It is getting a very small release from Janus Films. But I think it is worth seeking out if you can find it in your local market.

Christian Petzold has been a director to watch since I first saw Phoenix about eight years ago. That movie is so stunning that I will pretty much go to anything he wants to make.

Often, I can't avoid trailers because I see them so much when I go to other movies. But for some reason I had managed to avoid the trailer for this film and just went to it based on Petzold's name being attached. I knew he had directed it and that Paula Beer was in it. She had done both Transit and Undine with him. And that was enough. I came home after seeing the movie and looked up the trailer and was very glad I had avoided it because it gives away a lot.

I have to say based on those earlier films that this was a surprisingly (mostly) lighter change of pace for Petzold. But I liked it. Leon has been invited to his friend Felix's family summer home to finish his novel. But when they arrive, they find out Felix's mother had already promised it to Nadja (Paula Beer again.) The movie is pretty much about the relationships that form while they're all together. The title comes from a forest fire which is going on at the same time. I'm not sure why the title was changed to Afire for the release in North America because the literal German title translates to "Red Sky," which would have been just fine.

I thought this was (mostly) a very funny and enjoyable film. The chemistry between the cast is palpable and it is well-shot and pleasant to watch. The tonal shift in the last section wasn't something I saw coming, but I won't say anything else on that for now.

Anyway, this is an easy recommendation from me if you can find it. If not, hopefully it gets a physical media release. Petzold's last film, Undine, did not get that here in North America.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is a recent post-screening Q&A with Petzold. Note there might be spoilers in here; I haven't watched it all the way through yet.

And, here are Christian Petzold's Criterion closet picks.

Have you seen his Barbara?

No, but not for lack of wanting. Last night, I found that it is currently included with Prime, so I'll be watching it soon.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Anyway, this is an easy recommendation from me if you can find it. If not, hopefully it gets a physical media release. Petzold's last film, Undine, did not get that here in North America.

If Janus released it, there's a good chance Criterion will release it on disc. They've already released his earlier movie, Phoenix, on Blu-ray.

Of his earlier films, I've only seen Barbara, on a Blu-ray release from Adopt Films (distributed by Kino). Still available from Kino (at $20, down from the $35 MSRP). And I see that Transit is available on Blu-ray from Music Box Films. Unfortunately, none of Petzhold's other films are available on Blu-ray (except Undine, though not in the US).

On the other hand, three of this earlier films -- The State I'm In, Yella, and Jerichow -- were released in the US on DVD by Cinema Guild. And Undine was released in the US on DVD by IFC Films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
If Janus released it, there's a good chance Criterion will release it on disc. They've already released his earlier movie, Phoenix, on Blu-ray.

Of his earlier films, I've only seen Barbara, on a Blu-ray release from Adopt Films (distributed by Kino). Still available from Kino (at $20, down from the $35 MSRP). And I see that Transit is available on Blu-ray from Music Box Films. Unfortunately, none of Petzhold's other films are available on Blu-ray (except Undine, though not in the US).

On the other hand, three of this earlier films -- The State I'm In, Yella, and Jerichow -- were released in the US on DVD by Cinema Guild. And Undine was released in the US on DVD by IFC Films.
I was able to order Yella and Jerichow via Amazon, but couldn't find a listing for The State I'm in.
I've already seen Undine, Transit, Barbara and Phoenix.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Now streaming on Criterion Channel and for rental.
my take:
AFIRE (2023) Director Christian Petzold (PHOENIX, TRANSIT) appears to be in a slightly different mode at first with his latest, AFIRE. Four people gather at a seemingly idyllic summer retreat in the Baltics.

The home is owned by the family of Felix (Langston Uibel). He and his friend Leon (Thomas Schubert) discover that a young woman has sublet a bedroom as well, Nadja (played by Petzhold regular, Paula Beer). A local lifeguard Deved (Enno Trebs) completes the quartet. Leon is there to work on a rewrite of his novel, while Felix is completing a portfolio of photographs.

Petzold has said that he found inspiration in the work of Eric Rohmer and one can certainly see the influence as the characters go through their paces and engage in barbed conversations and behaviors. The original German title translates roughly as 'Red Skies' and refers to the crimson glow from nearby forest fires in the region.

Petzold's script takes a bit to come into focus and is impeded by the character of Leon, a petulant sort who is neither sympathetic nor particular interesting for much of the action. Schubert's performance similarly is off-putting at first and never quite makes him worthy of much investment. Fortunately, Beer is her dependable self and keeps the film moving along, all the while revealing layers of her character. Uibel and Trebs are fine as is Matthias Brandt as Leon's literary editor.

AFIRE has an appropriate denouement (if a bit on the nose) and Petzhold delivers one last mischievous wink to the viewer.

AFIRE can currently be streamed on The Criterion Channel and for Rental. It's available as a Pre-Order on DVD (February release; Janus)
Afire4.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Now streaming on Criterion Channel and for rental.
Also coming to Blu-ray on February 20. I'm glad to see this getting a physical release. Undine was denied one in the United States market. I would still be willing to buy that if someone would put it out.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Also coming to Blu-ray on February 20. I'm glad to see this getting a physical release. Undine was denied one in the United States market. I would still be willing to buy that if someone would put it out.
I also mentioned it's available to Pre-Order on disc.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks