What's new

eBay Auction - This can't be for real!?!? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
"Buy 867-5309 Jenny's New York Phone Number" (Admin note - Do a search on Ebay if you're interested)

First, who the hell is Tommy TuTone?

Second, look at the current bid... $67,400.00! With 5 days to go that seems a little silly for a phone number!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

An 80s band. The song "Jenny/867-5309" was their only major hit, but it was huge. People who actually had that number were deluged with calls.

I agree that the bid is ridiculous, but there are obviously a few fanatical Tommy TuTone fans out there with cash to burn.

BTW, Jenny's city was never specified. The seller just happens to have the number in New York. I wonder if people who have it in other area codes will try something similar.

M.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
In Rhode Island, a plumbing company has the number...and happily uses the song in their ads. I think a wireless company uses the song nationally as well in one of their ads.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
He has quite a bit of feedback though.
In new york, for a business, that might not be a bad investment actually. The advirtising writes itself :)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I could see a company paying that for a telephone number... Think of the advertising...

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This is so ridiculous, but so awesome at the same time if he actually gets the money...

I would sell my phone number in a flash if it was valuable to anyone... ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Why would somebody want that number, imagine all the telemarkers that he will get, including all the yahoos out there reading that ebay link and jotting down ideas....

Ya know, when I am forced to fill out information for some news site, I like to give them wrong data, like Elmer Fudd, 90210... For the phone number, I can always fill in that number because it's a valid number.

Jay

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I do recall that when the song came out, several people across the country who HAD the number already sued because they began getting calls from bored nutballs.

I suppose that fad went away with the popularity of the song...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I saw an interview with Tommy and he said that this was the last song that was allowed to use a real phone number. He said how stupid the song would be if he had to sing 555-5555.

Those who know the tune are laughing right now. :D

Jon.M

Stunt Coordinator
The phony bids have gotten out of hand. Theres a story on it in at PensacolaNewsJournal.com but I'm too new to post the URL.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

Someone has now listed the same number in San Fran. Bidding starts at $5000. So far there are no takers.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Yeah, this was an FCC rule LONG before Tommy Tutone... He just didn't know about it/didn't care and somehow it made it past the record label's legal affairs Dept.

If anybody tried it again, the suits would stop it, just because the mess "Jenny" created brought the rule to everyone's attention.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
There was a little blurb about this yesterday when I was watching CNN. They said the bid for the telephone number in New York is a landline, i.e., it's someone's home telephone number. How can someone sell their home telephone number? I didn't think you 'owned' your home telephone number. If it were a cellular telephone number, obviously, those can be transferred with the new government mandate... but there's still restrictions.

I haven't looked at the bid at all but according to the reporter on CNN, he made it seem as though it simply won't happen.

*shrug*

Scott.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Ok... Ive gotten three different emails, from three different friends, for three different websites where you can buy 212-867-5309....

I'm beginning to think this is a scam?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks