What's new

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
That will be my grade for this film. It's not a 5.0 Spielberg film like Jaws, Close Encounters or Indiana Jones to name some films from that era of his film career.

Well, that's what makes horse racing. I don't do comparisons - I merely think E.T. is a perfect picture in every way. I think people's opinions on these things change over the years, because most people who saw it when it came out, especially before all the hype, well, most thought it was five stars PLUS a few extra stars :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
God, I think 1941 is a horrible film. Another case of film appreciation being so subjective especially comedies.
Have you seen it recently? You might like it more on a second viewing. Like you said, comedy is subjective but I find it so funny and crazy. It has a great score and some amazing special effects too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, that's what makes horse racing. I don't do comparisons - I merely think E.T. is a perfect picture in every way. I think people's opinions on these things change over the years, because most people who saw it when it came out, especially before all the hype, well, most thought it was five stars PLUS a few extra stars :)
Hell, I was one of those people and watched it 2-3 times during its original theatrical run. However, my opinion has downgraded over the years from 5.0 to 4.5. Perhaps, old age has affected my scoring.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you seen it recently? You might like it more on a second viewing. Like you said, comedy is subjective but I find it so funny and crazy. It has a great score and some amazing special effects too.
Not in its entirety, as I've watched some sequences of it over the last couple of years, but I really never cared for this film from my first theatrical viewing of it. I do have it on Blu-ray so I might revisited it again.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I saw 1941 the day it opened, beyond excited for another Spielberg classic. I thought the effects were great, I thought the score was great, and I thought the film was a colossal and awful mess. The opening was funny and that was IT. I was not alone in this assessment - the critics were not kind, the audiences didn't like it. But the curious phenomenon of time happens and people who either saw it back then at a young age or saw it in the 80s on home video or cable or TV embraced it as people always embrace these things and now some think it's hilarious and great. I've watched it about five times over the years and it never gets better, it's never funny, the effects are still good, the score is still great, and that's it. And that's my opinion :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw 1941 the day it opened, beyond excited for another Spielberg classic. I thought the effects were great, I thought the score was great, and I thought the film was a colossal and awful mess. The opening was funny and that was IT. I was not alone in this assessment - the critics were not kind, the audiences didn't like it. But the curious phenomenon of time happens and people who either saw it back then at a young age or saw it in the 80s on home video or cable or TV embraced it as people always embrace these things and now some think it's hilarious and great. I've watched it about five times over the years and it never gets better, it's never funny, the effects are still good, the score is still great, and that's it. And that's my opinion :)
I know it got savaged by critics and audiences when it was released (and still today) but I love it. I saw the movie as a teen and liked it but it wasn't until I was an adult that I really became a big fan of it. It's not for everyone but 1941 tickles my funny bone.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Price for deluxe on Amazon has already gone down to 29 and some change. I think it's shitty to lower the price less than a week after release so that people who preordered get screwed. I contacted Amazon customer service and they said they don't to post order adjustment but they did give me a "one time" promotional credit on my next order.

Also was at my local Walmart today and they had the deluxe for either 24.99 or 25.99.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I didn't see "1941" IN 1979 - I don't think I saw it until it ran on TV.

I've watched it at least 3 more times on DVD and have yet to think it gets better. It's a big, mushy mess!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Is the enclosed BD simply a repack of the original disc, or is it a remaster?
The bluray in the 4K pack arguably the same disc ... the only difference is the 4K disc set bluray has a screen printed image of the two fingers whereas the older disc was the blue printing only ....

Bluray on left (this is non-deluxe set - similar to what I received from Best Buy ...
15829_5.jpg

This is the old version I have (sans "action figure") - ...
et01.jpg

There were several printed versions of the bluray such as this box set ...

I
s-l1600.jpg

If you don't have a 4k setup or intend to get one and have the previous bluray ... this isn't the disc set your looking for ;) ...

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
To each his own. I'm a film purist too, but I don't see a problem with HDR as long as it is applied correctly without being overdone.

People used to say that same thing in the 80's about colorization of black and white films.
HDR is basically photoshopped movies- good cinematography doesn't need to be adjusted.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
People used to say that same thing in the 80's about colorization of black and white films.
HDR is basically photoshopped movies- good cinematography doesn't need to be adjusted.
I'm sorry, but I don't see that correlation so we just disagree on this issue.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The bluray in the 4K pack arguably the same disc ... the only difference is the 4K disc set bluray has a screen printed image of the two fingers whereas the older disc was the blue printing only ....

Bluray on left (this is non-deluxe set - similar to what I received from Best Buy ...
15829_5.jpg

This is the old version I have (sans "action figure") - ...
et01.jpg

There were several printed versions of the bluray such as this box set ...

I
s-l1600.jpg

If you don't have a 4k setup or intend to get one and have the previous bluray ... this isn't the disc set your looking for ;) ...
The Blu-ray label for the new set matches up with the one used for the 2012 digibook edition, I believe.

I currently have the other 30th Anniversary edition with the ill advised (In my opinion) blue print labels. The Blu-ray is otherwise good enough for our current 720p setup, however.

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I love 4K. Not HDR.
I don't need to see movie images pop and dazzle by computer wizardry when they weren't filmed that way and never looked that way in a theater.
But to each his own- enjoy.
I guess that means you won't be buying The Bridge on the River Kwai or LOA when it comes out on 4K/UHD disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks