What's new

DVL 919 and component video cable connection. (1 Viewer)

huuuuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
To anyone out there with and older Pioneer DVL-919,

Just got the player off ebay because I couldn't stand to sell my LD collection.

I have tried connecting it via componet video to my current yamaha 5280 and then to my Toshiba Regza 46,

I also have a sony blu ray but that is HDMI,

When connected I only get a black and white picture on both dvd and LD. I have component video in to the 5280 and out to the LCD. I've tried direct into the LCD but same result. Anybody run to a somilar problem before?

Thanks

not so huuuuge!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If memory serves correctly...

The DVL-919 has an output setup menu and you need to switch from Component (DVD playback only) to S-Video/Composite (LD).

When viewing LDs you will need to install either a composite or S-Video cable from the DVL-919 to your display and switch to that connection on both the DVL-919 (in an output setup menu) and select that input on your display.

Good luck!

Edit: DVDs should produce color assuming you have the output on the DVL-919 set to component. If they don't then check your component cable with another DVD player (if you have one handy.)

- Walter.

huuuuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Many Thanks Walter, I had to order the DVL 919 user manual which also helped out quite a bit. I do appreciate your response. I had a hard time for some reason that the LD would not perform with the component cables..Oh well found my old S-video and that did the trick.

Thanks Much

Jeff

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Jeff - You're welcome. Happy to hear that you got the player working. I haven't watched a Laser Disc in a long, long time but they will always occupy a special place in my HT.

- Walter.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Composite video might actually work better for laserdiscs- it does on my TV. S-Video shows a lot of color bleeding and video noise that just isn't there with composite.

Too bad they couldn't get these players to convert laserdisc playback thru the component outputs- I just got a D-VHS deck and that will output standard VHS in color through the component outputs (but it won't output analog sound tracks through the digital output.)

huuuuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
hi Jesse, Yes I agree thanks for your input. So what about the audio connection. I see that ac-3 requires a decoder and a another $$$$ investment. I only have a handful of discs that have AC-3(topgun..etc) . Is the optical option that much different? I also noticed that on my Toshiba 46" LCD that the aspect ratio is the old format and does not take up the full screen. I've searched for a setting that would allow but I guess I'm out of luck.

regard

Jeff

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen

Composite video might actually work better for laserdiscs- it does on my TV. S-Video shows a lot of color bleeding and video noise that just isn't there with composite.

Too bad they couldn't get these players to convert laserdisc playback thru the component outputs- I just got a D-VHS deck and that will output standard VHS in color through the component outputs (but it won't output analog sound tracks through the digital output.)

You need to play around with s-video. If the LD (or other source device) has a better comb filter then you will get a better picture with S-Video. If the display (or receiver if you are doing video conversion) has a better comb filter then you want to hook up your device via composite. As most source devices with S-Video are probably older than the displays they are getting hooked up to odds are a composite video cable will give you the best results. I just got a new TV and it has 2 composite, 2 component, no S-Video and 4 HDMI, so it looks like S-Video is starting to go away. I am seeing receivers without S-Video connections now too.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by huuuuge

hi Jesse, Yes I agree thanks for your input. So what about the audio connection. I see that ac-3 requires a decoder and a another $$$$ investment. I only have a handful of discs that have AC-3(topgun..etc) . Is the optical option that much different? I also noticed that on my Toshiba 46" LCD that the aspect ratio is the old format and does not take up the full screen. I've searched for a setting that would allow but I guess I'm out of luck.

regard

Jeff

Depends. If you have a receiver that has Dolby Pro Logic II I probably wouln't worry about it unless you had a lot of AC-3 LDs, or can find one for a good price. Yamaha (APD-1) and B&K (DT-1) made standalone models that you can keep an eye out for, also seach for a used Pioneer Elite SP-99d. If your receiver has a multi-channel input the Pioneer would work for one as well. For some reason the Pioneer goes for a lot cheaper used than the standalone models on Ebay. I have used the B&K and the Pioneer SP-99d with no problems.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Optical out will give you DTS if the disc has it (not many do) or uncompressed 2-channel PCM audio. Discrete AC-3 is cool if you're a sound nut like me- I was pretty annoyed that I had to get a demodulator, but at least they were still reasonably easy to find then. I only have one demodulator (Kenwood) and thankfully it still works. I've got a box hooked up that will switch between the AC-3 and regular digital out and connects to one input on my receiver. You also want to hook the analog jacks up as that's the only way to hear the analog sound tracks, the older (80s) discs don't have any digital audio so that's the only way to hear them at all.

My widescreen TV lets you easily adjust the overscan and pre-set it, so I have one setting that shows the full 4x3 frame with black bars on the side, then another which crops the top and bottom of the frame when viewing letterboxed discs.

dolphin42

Auditioning
Real Name
mike ohara
having same problem... whats the secret? do you have a scan of the manual youd share?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
There is no secret.

DVD-LD combination players do not output component video from LD. You must use a composite or S connexion. End of story,

See my signature for a link to a complete visual guide to LD hookups.

generalgrevious

Auditioning
Real Name
ed
i need help i just got a pioneer dvl 919 and my screen is black and white i need help to change it to color. i don't have an s video cable how can change the back ground back from black and white to color any help would be great lmk so i can get back to watching movies in color again.ed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks