What's new

DVI vs IEEE1394 - Any Recievers or Pre/Pros do both? (1 Viewer)

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Even with the recent anouncements in the media about some consolidation of interconnect standards for HDTV, (See posts at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&highlight=DVI ), it seems as though the dust may never settle!:frowning:
As some of you may have noticed from my previous posts I have been researching a new receiver or separates purchase for about 6 months or so. I thought I might lean towards a middle-of-the-road purchase that would hopefully not be too obsolete for at least a few if not 5 years or so. I was considering the Denon 3803 or perhaps the Pioneer 45tx.
As I may be able to upgrade to a HD capable TV (Plasma/LCD most likely) within the above mentioned time frame - I am now curious as to whether I either need to wait, or spend more to allow for the use of either DVI or Firewire, or even better - both on one receiver or pre-pro. What's your opinion? Do any units do both today? I would think having both options would be the best in these unsettled times!:)

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

The most honest guarantee of future-proofing you can get is NONE. Even the manufacturers of the most flexibly upgradable units (i.e. Lexicon MC-12, Mark Levinson #30) will not speculate on how long their current units will continue to be viable.

You can be sure that any unit you buy today will, featurewise, be obsolete in 5 years. Rather than concentrating on the products with the most features and functions (all of which go obsolete rather quickly), you may want to consider spending your money on the unit that sounds better than the others in its class. You will then be able to enjoy its performance for many years to come.

Marty

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Marty - sage advise. I realize I can't have everything and that features will become obsolete, but I would like to be able to connect to a HDTV with a newer standard than component video if at all possible. I realize few receivers even have a IEEE1394 or a DVI connection today (47/49tx?) but I wasn't sure about in the pre-pro/separates world. If there was it might turn my whole search around towards spending more money in order to get a whole lot more ability 3-5 years from now. Anyone else have an opinion or info to share?

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
would like to be able to connect to a HDTV with a newer standard than component video if at all possible. I realize few receivers even have a IEEE1394 or a DVI connection today (47/49tx?)
You seem confused. While some receivers, like the high end Pioneers, have IEEE1394 (FireWire) connections, they are not used for video! This connector (only one, and only an input) is specifically intended to connect to Pioneer's high end DVD-Audio players, to transfer the high resolution and/or multi-channel digital audio in digital form, rather than analog. This allows the receiver to perform bass management, EQ, etc. on the digital auido before any D/A conversion. Again, it has nothing to do with video.

A few TV's, such as high end Sonys, have a IEEE1394 connector on the back (Sony calls it i.Link), which can be used to transmit video in DV format. DV is a conpression format designed for consumer video devices like camcorders and such. This i.Link connector will allow the direct connection of a digital camcorder to the Sony TV so that it can do it's digital scaling and filtering up to it's display resolution (1080i usually) without going digital/analog/digital again. The DV format does not allow for HDTV resolution, AFAIK, but I could be wrong.

DVI is another matter altogether. It transmits every pixel, uncompressed. It has a ridiculously high bandwidth - somthing like 6 Gbps IIRC.

Honestly, don't expect to see any receiver doing video switching for either of these interconnects any time soon (within 5 years). It is unlikely that HDTV sets will settle on either IEEE1394 or DVI as neither is secure, so Hollywood will not allow it's works to be transmitted through either, for fears of copying the nearly perfect digital respresentations of their property.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks