What's new

DVDO Iscan HD (1 Viewer)

Ralph_C

Auditioning
Been looking into one of these (dvdo iscan hd). Not necessarily the Iscan, but a scaler/upscaler. Will this take an analog, cable box signal, a pc signal, or a vcr signal and "up" it to the 720 range? Read some reviews it would, others it wouldn't. Any other thoughts on the process?

Dale Adams

Grip
The iScan HD will 'up-convert' a video signal as long as it is one of the following:

1) Composite video - NTSC, PAL or SECAM
2) S-Video - NTSC, PAL or SECAM
3) Component (YPbPr) - 480i, 480p, 576i or 576p
4) RGBs (i.e,. RGB with composite sync) - 480i, 480p, 576i or 576p
5) DVI (not HDCP protected) - 480p or 576p

For video formats which are not of the above types, the iScan HD will automatically change to a pass-through mode where the signal is passed through to the output unchanged. (Note that this means digital signals remain digital and analog signals remain analog.)

The just-introduced iScan HD+ will also handle the following signal types:

1) HDCP-encrypted DVI
2) HD-resolution DVI - 720p and 1080i

Any of the accepted signal types can be fully processed and converted to another format. This includes deinterlacing, scaling, frame rate conversion, picture controls, color-space transcoding, etc. Supported output formats do include 720p. You can also define your own output format with 1-pixel granularity for all vertical and horizontal timing/resolution, and frame rate to 0.01 Hz.

- Dale Adams

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
$1500 isn't pocket change for me either, but for what it is, this unit is cheaper than most of its competition that can accomplish the same stuff.

Ralph_C

Auditioning
I appreciate the input, gentlemen. You're right, $1500 ain't cheap, and while I'm not in the price range of "perfection", I'm hoping mid-range will produce nice results. Looked at a couple low price items, but the reviews I've found on the web were very disappointing. The Iscan had some nice reviews. I am, however, open to any suggestions on items that will produce the same results for a different price range. Right now, being a very much newbie, I have BenQ 7200 (given to me),
Draper Luma 84" pull-down screen (also given to me), and assorted dvd/vcr/audio equipment. Right now, concentrating on the projector video.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Let me ask a really dumb question.

If I own an HDTV, and I own an upconverting DVD player and let's say I have satellite or cable that does HDTV as well OTA or anything else...what's the point in getting something like this Iscan thing? Not trying to be a smart aleck. I may not completely understand what it's for...

Ralph_C

Auditioning
No, not a dumb question at all. Right now, I don't have an upconverting DVD player, I have a Toshiba SD-2200. That'll be fine for dvd viewing. I primarily want the whole schebang (it's a real word, honest.. I just endorsed it) for movies and special events, but not all movies are on DVD, and my cable company only offers (currently) maybe 6 channels in HD (3 more than OTA) and none of them are my fav channels.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Eric,

I think it really depends on what video source you are inputting. For example, I input 480i to my HDTV from my laserdisc player via S-video. My HDTV's deinterlacer will convert to either 480p or 1080i, but I have to use the sets Zoom modes to properly display the image. The Iscan would allow me output either DVI or component to the TV, using one of many resolutions such as 480p, 720p, etc. It would also "enchance" the image to allow me to use my sets Full mode. Plus I believe it uses the Sigma? deinterlacing chip which is going to be better than my sets internal deinterlacer. I would love to see how much of an improvment the HD might make to LD but at ~$1500 it makes it tough. I would be willing to spend the money if I could get one to demo for a week. If I saw enough improvment though I would spend the money on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks