What's new

DVD with most natural sounding dialog/voices (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
What do you think is the DVD that is the best example of natural sounding voices?

Most movies I own have well recorded voices that are undistorted and intelligable, but sound "recorded". There is just something about it that doesn't sound realistic.

Have you ever watched a movie and had the voices recorded so well that it sounded like there was someone in the room with you?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
best: t2, fight club

worst: majority of movies before 1980, with a few exceptions

Everett A

Agent
Some music dvds are very good for this.

Just got Diana Krall's Live in Paris, and this sounds very natural.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
worst: majority of movies before 1980, with a few exceptions
Interestingly, a lot of them sound worse then they have to. I was watching High Noon yesterday on TCM, which was from an older video master than was used for the Artisan DVD. Radically different image appearance aside (that's another thread entirely), the sound had a lot more noise than the DVD (it was apparently sourced from an optical track), but sounded much more natural. In the process of filtering out the "Rice Krispies" pops of the soundtrack for the DVD remaster, they threw quite a bit of baby out with the bathwater.

Regards,

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i notice alot of movies have lots of hisses and scratches on tcm. do they mostly restore them before the dvd comes out.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
i notice alot of movies have lots of hisses and scratches on tcm. do they mostly restore them before the dvd comes out.
It depends on how you define "restore". :) In addition to the use of excessive filtering (as discussed above) and other tools like noise gates (where, for example, you can hear the hiss when the track is active and then it gets rolled off during the quiet passages), some films with very good quality magnetic masters get remixed unnecessarily rather than simply repurposed for the digital audio format.
This is not in any way intended as an indictment of remixes or any of the filtering tools in and of themsleves, just how they are misused or overdone in far too many cases. To be completely honest, things are much better today than they were at the inception of DVD five years ago or so.
Regards,

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Most of TCM's masters are from laserdisc transfers.
North By Northwest has the most natural sounding dialogue, to my ears. I'd pick newer films, but I usually vote for the underdog. :)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
FIGHT CLUB!!! The part where Edward Norton talks about the car accidents to the lady on the plane. That sounded very natural to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks