What's new

DVD to plasma TV picture quality issue (1 Viewer)

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
Playing DVD's on a 42" Samsung plasma TV I get picture quality differences. While viewing some movies, it appears the screen is attempting to sharpen but does not completely do so. Still get a decent picture but not as sharp as most.

This does not happen with all movies and is more noticeable with older than newer videos.

Am I missing a setting adjustment? I have the DVD connected by component cables.

Thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the other TV you are comparing with has its sharpness control set too high. WHile you may be more pleased with the sharpness turned up, this usually also results in ghosting to the right of sharp edged details. So generally home theater experts want the sharpness control off.

You need the Video Essentials or AVIA DVD on which you can experiment with the TV's sharpness control. The problem is that on some TV's the "sharpness off" settinmg is in the middle while on other TV';s it is at the left.

Is your DVD player progressive? If so try both progressive output and interlaced output. If the interlaced DVD player output looks better and sharper your TV may be doing a better job of de-interlacing than the player can, or your component cables may be less than good. Both of these situations can give a less sharp picture. Almost all TV's that accept progressive scan sources will de-interlace any and all non-progressive sources so they can all be displayed on the screen the same way.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the AVIA dvd but have not had time to calibrate with it.

The comparisons I was making were with the same tv and the same dvd. When playing some dvd's the pic is more grainy than others.

I do had a progressive scan player.

I'll play with the sharpness control and see if it has an effect.

What is DNie?

Thanks

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
It's Samsung's video processing. It helps in somethings, and hinders elsewhere. You should be able to find it in the service menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks