What's new

DVD Profiler question (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

I wouldn't think so either, but clearly DVD Empire has gone to the trouble to label all of their scans that way.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I buy my dvd's in Canada, live in Europe. Lately, there have been several instances where there are no cover scans for hugely popular titles like Friends when I pick Canadian.

And my Babe both movies pack won't even register. Had to add them seperately.

Those are my only two gripes with the program. I'm a registerd users and I'm glad to have it. Adding new titles is as much fun as shopping for 'em.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Lately, there have been several instances where there are no cover scans for hugely popular titles like Friends when I pick Canadian.
Friends discs and packaging are the same as in the US anyway (unless you bought zhe French-only cover) so my guess is that hardly anybody bothered to upload (or maintain) the Canada locality entry.

Also, I found that new profiles show up rather late these days. I added a new DVD to the database over 4 weeks ago, and it only showed up a with the most recent update last week.

Chris

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Well, I no longer pick Canadian. As long as the UPC is the same, it doesn't realy leave a bad feeling.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Yup. I only pick Canada when the covers are specifically Canadian (and I usually make my own scans anyway), otherwise I pick US.

And to comment on the current beta: it has a few minor bugs (e.g. when reassigning collection numbers) that will be adressed in the next beta, but there's a drastic (and I do mean drastic) speed increase when clicking the "add by title" tab. Quite nice.

Chris

Kai Zas

Second Unit
If only they would get a faster connection. Accessing the online profiler sometimes takes forever.

Last week I introduced dvdprofiler to a friend. After downloading the program it needed to update its database. This took quite a long time.

Let's hope more people buy the program so they can update their connection and servers :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Well, I no longer pick Canadian. As long as the UPC is the same, it doesn't realy leave a bad feeling.
Be careful when doing this. Many releases have the same UPC in the US and Canada, but different covers. For instance, almost everything from Disney. People keep uploading Canadian covers on the US profiles.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
True. Some Canadian covers even seem 100% identical to their US counterpart, but when you look closely you'll notice that they only have a Candian rating on it (e.g. many Buena Vista/Disney titles like The Love Bug) Very minor difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Chris

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Please note that whenever IVS is working on finalizing a new release version updating Profiler with current user submissions slows to a crawl. This happened the last time a new release version was being finalized.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, the number glitch will be fixed in future versions, I've had to renumber a buch by hand, as it always givs my Walt Disney Treasures discs higher numbers than my WWE discs even though the WWE ones are listed after the WDT discs.

A minor inconvenience for me though, I also just introduced profiler to a friend and they absolutely love it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I've been wanting to try out DVD Profiler for a while, but just haven't made the time. I do have one concern that maybe someone could help me with. Currently I just enter all my DVDs into a spreadsheet. Dull, but it means I can put the spreadsheet onto my PDA, which comes in handy for shopping (I often forget if I already bought something) or for comparing with others (swaps, loan-outs). So, is there anyway to generate a text list of the DVDs so I could load that on the PDA, I wouldn't want to maintain two databases.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
A "pocket" version of DVD Profiler is in the works. Currently you can export the database into a CSV or XML file. If you choose the CSV (comma-separated-value) format, you're also given the option of specifying which data fields you wish to export. You could then format this into a text file, I believe.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
In the beta forums I'm pretty sure they stated that the renumbering glitch has been fixed and will be in the next release (whether that is another beta, or the public release version, or ETA, idaknow).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Brian, thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure a CSV file can be imported into Excel, so this is perfect. (I wonder why they don't put this ontheir wb site?) I'll be trying out DVDProfiler tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks