What's new

DVD Profiler question (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How long does it take to see a new contributed title appear on the database? I contributed two, one of them about 2 weeks ago and they are still not in the database yet...

- Alicia Keys: From the Streets to Stardom
- Bionicle: Mask Of Light

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It varies wildly. I've had some submissions come up a couple days after I sent them and others take months. Rarely more than two weeks, but sometimes they don't accept stuff for no apparent reason.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm thinking about going over from dvdtracker.
i've had dvdtracker since it started, but want to try something new.

tracker is$10 a year what is profiler?

and what is the improvements for upgrading to the registered version?

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
The shareware version of DVDProfiler is free. Upgrading will get you high-resolution cover scans, the ability to disable the ad banners (within the program, and in your online listing), and show your support for a great product.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Wonder if they'll ever finish an OSX port of the app.
There's nothing even close on Macs and they'd sell many copys.

I can always keep VPC going. Works fine here.
e

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I am a registered user (for a long time), the free version is for all practical purpose, good enough and contains all the needed functions. The reason I paid for it is because I think it's a good piece of software that's worth my support. I am a beleiver of the freeware model of if one thinks the product is good and can afford it, then one pays for it, else just use the free version. On a pure financial basis, I don't know if it really justifies the $25 for hi-res and banner elimination (the banner is actually relatively unintrusive).

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, I have had DVD Profiler for two years both free and later paid versions. There is no limit to titles in the online database with the free version. There never has been. Please post a link to the relevant page of the Intervocative website which backs your assertion.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The official page doesn't mention, but it's been claimed a few times on the forums and not contradicted by the IVS guys. I can't do a direct link as it's a framed site, but do a search on the DVD Profiler boards.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The maximum size is limited by upload file size. The number of DVDs this equates to will vary by:
- How many DVDs are locked. Locked DVDs take up more space.
- How many DVDs are not up to date with the online database.
- The quantity and size of the DVD notes.

I read in one thread on their support forum that someone was able to have a collection of 780 titles before he could no longer upload his collection.

From the FAQ:
Q:
What additional features are available in the program for premium registrants?

A:
Premium registration makes three features available:
- Medium- and high-quality image scans are available.
- The advertisement banner in the top left can be disabled.
- The My Profiler online collection size is virtually unlimited.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
There is a new Beta version is available for premium registrants. Anyone give it a spin yet? I am using the free version.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I've been wondering if DVD Profiler has made another change for people using the free version. I've noticed the last few recent releases I've entered (Fargo SE and The Matrix Reloaded come to mind) there has been no back cover scan. Has anyone else noticed this?

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, thank you for citing the sources of the limit information. Apparantly, there is a limit to collection size on the free version. This is odd since IVS does not mention this on the Paid Registration page as a benefit of upgrading.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been wondering if DVD Profiler has made another change for people using the free version. I've noticed the last few recent releases I've entered (Fargo SE and The Matrix Reloaded come to mind) there has been no back cover scan. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yup. Same thing for my recently entered Lion King DVD.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I think this is the case when a scan of the back has not been submitted...for example, when a title is first released (or before street date), the DVDProfiler entry will often have two front cover images -probably because the person who submitted it grabbed the image from Amazon or someplace. Oh, and by the way, I submitted a title (Dawson's Creek Series Finale) weeks ago and it is still not in the database. Strange too, because DVDAF and Guzzle both have it and had it on release date...

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
A thought: DVD Empire has the most complete front & back cover scans on the web, yet they also print "copyrighted material" across all their scans. It may be that they are cracking down on this, and won't allow DVD Profiler to use their scans.

This may be the reason some scans aren't available in the DVD Profiler database.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks