DVD Profiler 3.1 is out (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
What would you changed owned to?

Erm...something useful to me. Should "Owned" be useful to me? I don't get what it's for? As far as I can figure out, all the discs in my own categories mean I already "own" them anyway.

I am soooooooo confused!

2yueo7t.jpg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Here is what I have.
If I could access the program I would get rid of the extra selling category.
Screenshot_2015-02-22-00-03-36-1.png

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Mike Frezon said:
Should "Owned" be useful to me? I don't get what it's for? As far as I can figure out, all the discs in my own categories mean I already "own" them anyway.

To me, the "Owned" collection contains DVDs/Blu-rays that I possess. I don't possess discs in my "Wishlist" or in my "Ordered" collections, nor in my custom "Expired" collection (which contains discs that I've previously owned but have since sold/given away.) I certainly don't "own" all the discs in my DVD Profiler database.

---------------

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott:

I guess that goes-to-show my different mindset in terms of a database for my collection. I don't like to include discs I have gotten rid of or discs on a wishlist. That accounts for my confusion.

But, either way, the "All" and "Owned" categories seem duplicative to me. I have created a "Blu-ray" category and a "DVD" category as well as separate categories for "Disney", "TV", "Baseball", "Christmas", "Music", "Documentaries" and a couple other minor categories. This matches how I have my collection classified.

I'm probably not using the software at all as it is intended. But, for the most part, it is working for me.

Tony:

I have the program on my PC and cannot eliminate (or rename) the "Owned" or "Wish List" categories. They appear at the top of my app listing and are useless to me.

For some reason, the app doesn't include the "All" tab for me. Don't know why.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Mike Frezon said:
I have created a "Blu-ray" category and a "DVD" category as well as separate categories for "Disney", "TV", "Baseball", "Christmas", "Music", "Documentaries" and a couple other minor categories. This matches how I have my collection classified.

I'm probably not using the software at all as it is intended. But, for the most part, it is working for me.

A lot of people seem to use collections like you do. I mostly use Tags instead and just have a few custom collections. As for how it's "intended" to be used, the program is intentionally flexible so we can all use it the way we wish to.

---------------

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And yet when I use it like I do, those categories for "All" and "Owned" seem superfluous. Yet I cannot change their name or remove them from the software.

It's all a minor quibble, I suppose. Because I'd be sunk without it. I cannot tell you guys how often I've been in a store and been able to pull up my collection and save myself from re-buying a title!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"I'm probably not using the software at all as it is intended. But, for the most part, it is working for me."

What Scott said.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Mike Frezon said:
And yet when I use it like I do, those categories for "All" and "Owned" seem superfluous. Yet I cannot change their name or remove them from the software.

You can hide some of them in the current version, and you'll be able to hide all of them in version 3.9:

hide-categories_zpsj9widuuj.jpg

---------------

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hey gang, I've been reloading my entire collection since I've been doing some tidying up. thanks for the tips on tagging and what not, I'm going to use those for Blurays and maybe the odd other catagory.

Not sure if everyone will be interested in this, but a user on the Invelos forums has done a new update to fill in cast and crew headshots. I think to get all of them you have to go through all the pages of the thread, downloading each letter, and there will be endless corrections in the future to stay on top of it. It's still better than nothing and a hell of a lot easier than doing it yourself. :)

http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task=viewtopic&topicID=768861&PageNum=1

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Actually, the top post of that thread should contain a link to the latest version of the headshot database. It's a ton to go through and I personally discard maybe 75% of it because they were standardizing on headshots taken in the last decade. All well and good, but they ended up using the last photo taken for every classic Hollywood actor just before they died. Not quite how I picture Cagney, Bogart, etc. Regardless, it can be useful if you want to invest the hours doing the entry by entry comparison.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ScottHM said:
You can hide some of them in the current version, and you'll be able to hide all of them in version 3.9:

---------------

Awesome news, Scott! Thanks again.

Since 3.9 is what I'm dealing with...off I go to find that dialogue box!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ScottHM said:

---------------

And I found this feature, Scott and have joyfully hidden Owned, Ordered, and Wish List.

Thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
And I found this feature, Scott and have joyfully hidden Owned, Ordered, and Wish List.

Thanks!
Out of curiosity why did you feel the need to hide those listings? I can understand Owned versus All, but the other two can be used to manage your future acquisitions.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess I try to keep things simple--at least for me, Robert.

I don't consider a disc part of my collection until it's in the house. Then I scan the barcode and make it part of my collection. I don't "think ahead" in terms of adding titles that I don't have yet or that I've pre-ordered. I mostly use my Amazon wishlist for titles I have yet to pull the trigger on.

So, all three of those categories are empty. I really wish I could change their names and use them for other categories.

I've always been interested in the different way people will go about using the same software. I find that fascinating. Like the many different ways HTF members use our software to surf the site. I bet very few people do it exactly the same way.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Build 1639 is now out.

And I think my iPhone app also must have automatically updated...because some of the functions are looking a bit different tonight--such as adding new titles via barcode scanning and/or entering titles.

I am now running Version 2.1.6 copyright 2015.

EDIT: Yup. Just checked my App Store app and it says it updated on March 9th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks