DVD player reliability poll (please post)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Y, Oct 28, 2001.

1. John Y

John Y Auditioning

My player's been acting up lately (toshiba 1200, not reading layer switch efficiently) and so it has me thinking about the QUALITY of the players out there and what one I should buy next that will deliver both performance AND durability.
    So my humble request is this:
    what brands have you had experience with and how have they held up?

2. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

I have the Panasonic RV-80. I have had if for about one year and I have not had any problems with it. I want to buy my dad a player for Christmas and I think I will get him the RV-51.
    ------------------
    Rich G.

3. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Toshiba SD3006
    PurchasedMid/Late 97ish?!?! (when they first came out)
    Only player I have ever owned. Still going strong.
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Toshiba SD5109...seems like an ancient model and I've thought about upgrading, but the damn thing just works like a charm.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Let's see...
    Sony DVP-300: My first player, purchased over three years ago. It's still running strong in our bedroom. This player never had a problem playing any discs.
    Sony DVP-330: This player suffered from an audio dropout and lip synch problem. Sony applied a fix at no cost under warranty, and the player was fine ever since. I sold this player to a co-worker, and he has experienced no problems with the component.
    Toshiba 6200: My first progressive scan player. It could not handle the seemless branching on T2:UE and would freeze up when playing Rocky:SE. Also, it would occasionally not recognize a disc when inserted. Opening/closing the disc drawer would correct the problem. This player is currently collecting dust as a backup player.
    Panasonic RP-91: No problems with this player so far. My only minor complaint is that the player will not display the time remaining for a DVD-Video disc. All the other models listed above had this feature, and I miss it.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

sony dvps-560d - i've had it about a year. not a single problem so far. seems very solid. i'm totally happy with it.
    panasonic (model unknown) - my sister has had her panasonic dvd player for about two years. no problems that i'm aware of.
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've got a Sony DVP-S3000 from 01/98. Its only had two minor glitches, sometimes it doesn't want to recognizae Seven Samurai, but when it does it plays it fine, and recently it froze momentarily on Magnificent Seven then skipped ahead by several seconds. Other than that its handled some toughies.

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Another Panasonic RV80 owner. Never any problems. I like it much better than my former Pioneer Elite DV-09.
    Jeff

10. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Toshiba 3108 Before Firmware Upgrade: Wouldn't play Fox discs with DVD Rom content, Dual layer buffering two seconds too fast on DVCC encoded discs, occasional break ups, occasional freezing for no particular reason.
    Toshiba 3108 After Firmware Upgrade: None. [​IMG]
    Jason
    ------------------
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
    "Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
    My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I've had a Panasonic A120 for over 2 years without a single spot of trouble!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

12. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba SD3109
    Bought it in July 99 I think.No real problems ever,Except with Dinosaur which everyone had problems with.I'm very happy with it even though alot of people have problems with Toshiba.

13. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I have owned the Pioneer DV-525 for about one and a half years. No concerns whatsoever. It plays everything I throw at it (including some horribly damaged rental DVD's). [​IMG]
    The only thing I have ever thought to question about it is the length of the delay during a layer change. Are some players truly better at making this more seamless?
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

14. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Toshiba SD2200 .... collecting dust.
    Toshiba SD2108 .... Purchased Nov98, he only problem I had was after I took the video rental sticker off a DVD and it got stuck in the player..WHOOPS [​IMG]
    Brent L

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

As with Patrick Wilmes, I bought a Toshiba 3109 in July of '99 and haven't had any problems with it. [​IMG], fingers crossed!
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

16. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Denon DVD 2500 - Supposedly licences technology from Panasonic. My player skipped in the opening of the DVD of Django/Django returns, which was also a common fault of Panasonic players with this disc if I recall correctly. Also the optical pickup has broken twice during the warranty period (Two years warranty, expired now). I just wait for it to break again, so I can replace it [​IMG]
    Pioneer DVL-919E - The last remaining Laser disc player model sold officially in Norway when I got it. It has done some strange things, like once it didn't play the R2 Outlaw Josey Wales, it said Compact Disc on the display but didn't do much more. I have lost sound twicwe, but it was ok after turning it off and on again. Occasionally a thin blue vertical bar will appear all over the picture of a movie, when it appears it is constant, until I turn it off and then on again, and it will function normally. A friend of mine bought the same player at the same time as me, and he has experienced a lot of the same problems. We are kinda wondering what to do about it. The players have their warranty still, but it feels kind of strange to walk into a store complaing about a problem you can't demonstrate. I feel kind of like an idiot for not doing anything either, so I guess I'll wait for the warranty to expire and then have even more reasons to feel like an idiot.
    ------------------
    Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List
    [Edited last by Bjørn Olav Nyberg on October 29, 2001 at 10:42 AM]

17. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Playstation 2
    - Man oh man, you'd think that coming from Sony, it'd be pretty good, but it's more like a Toshiba. If the disc is slightly scratched in any way (eg. rental discs), then the player wont' play the DVD. Oddly enough, I have a Sony DVD player back in Pikeville, and it works fine.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    "Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
    "It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
    My DVD Collection

18. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

19. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Toshiba SD 2006 here. Bought it in mid 97 and have never had problems except with rental discs that are dirty. Clean the disc up and I'm rolling. A true workhorse.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

20. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

DVP300(I think)Nothing,nada,no problems-Im actually dreading having to replace this player someday.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung