What's new

DVD Player or HTPC? (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Hi everyone,

I bought a Toshiba 46HM84 DLP set that hasn't been delivered yet. Should I buy a DVD player or use my PC which is in the same room (radeon 9700 all in wonder with DVI out) as an HTPC? WHich produces better video quality?

Thanks,
ELmO:D

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
You could try the HTPC way, but it's going to be a few headaches and you're going to sacrifice some convenience.

I'd go for the DVD player myself, depending on what you're looking at. PQ will be comparable either way.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Problem with the HTPC is unless you've one specifically built for silent running, they're noisier than most DVD players.

Leo

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Gotcha on that one, but what about the picture quality?

The thing is, the Denon is like $600-700. That's a HEAP! I could upgrade my radeon 9700 all in wonder to an X800XT for half life 2 (for $500 probably), which I would prefer, if the PQ was the same. My PC does make some decent noise (it has 5 silent fans). I can tell when the PC is off or on...but if I even have a slight chance of getting better PQ with the PC, I would probably do that - it's going to be sitting right beside it (1 or 2 feet away), anyway.

My seating distance is about 8 feet away, and I can tell when my PC is on, but I don't think it will be taht big of a deal to me if I could use that $500-600 on a new video card for half life 2, instead.

Maybe I'll even try gaming on the DLP set? Who knows. I'll need a wireless mouse/keyboard for that.

-ELmO

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm currently building a htpc. i got my video card in today (radeon 9600 pro). i'm going to be hooking it up this evening and giving it a brief test run. i'll try to remember to post my impressions tomorrow. my display is a sony vpl-hs3 projector. my current dvd player is a denon dvd-5900 connected via dvi to the projector.

kevin t

JoeESP

Auditioning
Although my PC has an ATI card and a DVD burner I prefer to use my Sony DVD player through my AV system. MY PC is connected and I can display it on my AV system. I prefer using the Sony. Blowing up stuff (PC gaming)on the big screen is big fun though.:)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, i got my htpc put together. i'm still waiting for a hauppagge tv tuner card to arrive before it will be complete. connecting the ati 9600 pro to my projector has been a chore. i needed to use software called powerstrip to custom set the resolution and the learning curve is fairly steep. i imagine that by the end of next week, i should have everything hooked up and ready to give a head to head versus the 5900.

kevin t

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
powerstrip isnt that hard to use...what else is there to it? Can we get 1x1 pixel mapping easily?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
trying to set my projector to it's native (and odd) resolution of 858 x 484 caused it to go into fits and give me a black screen. i reviewed the manual today and reset the resolution to the pj max resolution of 1280 x 720 and viola! i got a widescreen desktop. by this time, my girlfriend and her friend showed up for movie night so i had to stop playing and hook the denon back up. i'm off monday so i should have plenty of time to set everything up.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks