What's new

dvd player on top denon avr2802 (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i have no space left, and i need to put a dvd player on the top of the receiver. is it gonna be bad? what do i have to do in order to put the player there?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Felix, I wouldn't put a component on top of a receiver under any circumstances. You need to provide headspace for the receiver allow for heat dissipation. I have read of people here experiencing video problems (colors bleeding) when placing DVD players on top of receivers.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
felix, more than likely the Denon has openings in the top (grills) to allow for heat to dissipate out of the unit. If you put something on top of it that will block these then more than likely two things will happen:

#1 your dvd player will heat up as the heat transfers to it.

#2 your receiver will overheat.

Your best long term bet is to see how you can rework things so the receiver is always open to the air on its top and also a few inches in either side.

good luck,

--tom

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
If it were my receiver, I wouldn't do it under ANY circumstances. It will cause damage to your receiver over time. Nothing, even adding an external fan could help that much (As Thomas notes, DVD players themselves run warm too. IMO, having just an inch or so for the receiver just isn't enough...)

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw another question at ya. What about placing a dvd player on top of a line conditioner?? It only gets warm toward the back in one corner where the dvd player doesn't even sit on and is not vented on top like a receiver. It is a Monster HTS5100 FWIW.

Doug

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Doug: I think you're on the right track when you've noticed that the Monster has no vent holes. If Monster doesn't think it needs very much ventilation, then I would think it should probably be ok.

The problem with receivers is that they are often pushed VERY hard. (And we are all guilty of it!) If the heat is allowed to buildup too high, the output devices can either be immediately damaged (just give out or if bad enough, go up in a shower of sparks or flames) or develop micro stress fractures from the excess heating and cooling (when turned off.) Outputs damaged from the micro "cracks" will fail prematurely.

As Frankenstein (sort of) used to say on Saturday Night Live: Heat..................BAD!

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I used to put my receiver on top of my DVD player. No problems till date. Before that i put it on my CD player, but now i've got a big wide rack that lets me keep them side-by-side.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i thought a dvd player is much smaller than a receiver. i find it hard to believe that you can put a receiver on top of the player. would it be stable?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Felix, I agree everyone. I wouldn't put anything on top of the receiver. Instead, why not stack your other components, ie, DVD on top of CD.

I'm running into the same problem, I've also run out of shelf space. I'm thinking of either putting my panny STB on top of the RP91 DVD or my VCR on top of the DVD. I know the STB can get hot at times, does anyone think this will pose a problem for the DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks