What's new

DVD player for the common person (1 Viewer)

isaac

Auditioning
I'm looking for a DVD player. I cannot afford a high end TV, only a decent 27" tv. I know this is a place where people like to come to figure out their ultimate home theatre - but for the time being, I have to deal with my own budget.

My dream DVD player is fast, ie menus don't take more than a second to jump between, handles normal display of anamorphic DVDs with little to no downsampling artifacts, jaggies, or issues and a generally great picture, and is reasonably priced. It would require a good remote, and either a dim display, or one that can be turned off all together. The ability to handle cdr's is a must, as it will also be my cd player. MP3 playback is no big deal, but if it does have it, preferably a nice interface for it.

Is there anything out there for me? Or am I in a strange middle ground where things are either overkill for me, or just not good enough for what I want.

I currently have a budget Toshiba player that I like, but it fails a lot of what I ask for above - especially the menu access times, and handing of anamorphic sources at 4x3

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I would personally go with Panasonic RV-22, currently at Costco Canada for CAD$179.00 (approx US$115.00) It plays literally every media (DVD+R and DVD-R included). Very decent.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I really like the Samsung line of DVD players. A progressive scan will cost ~$150 at BB/CC but can be found cheaper online

David Susilo

Screenwriter
the threadstarter owns a 27" TV which, from his statement, obviously non progressive. So why spend the extra $$ for a progressive player?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Given how inexpensive good prog-scan players have become it only makes sense to buy into the technology now. That way, Isaac will have the right player for when he does purchase a 480p-capable display.

Welcome, Isaac. HTF is for all home-theater enthusiasts, whether just starting out or in possession of a Runco DTV-1200 front-projection system.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But the thing is though that he'd be better served if we ignore the issue of progressive scan since he does have plenty of other needs/wants that will limit his choices. If the player happens to do good 480p (by today's standard), then so be it. Given how things are shaping up, he can probably upgrade to a better progressive scan player for less (or for other new/better features) by the time he could actually use 480p output. For one thing, he might end up wanting a player w/ DVI output or even high quality upconversion to 540p by that time.

Of course, having said all that, I have no idea what to suggest since most of those criteria are secondary or unimportant to me. FWIW, I generally like Toshiba players and don't mind the slower menu operation too much although I do find my changer excruciating slow at loading/switching discs. But they seem to have all the things you don't want, so sounds like you should definitely stay away from the Toshiba's. Of course, you knew that already.

Offhand, I'd think a Sony player might suit you best given their track record and the things they tend to do best. But then, my thinking might be outdated by now.

_Man_

David Susilo

Screenwriter
If you're like me, you'll stay away from Sony for two reasons.

1. the cosmetic (too futuristic for my taste, doesn't look 'serious')

2. anamorphic downconversion on the Sony is too soft to my taste.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe he will like the softer picture of the Sony anyway since he's only using a 27" TV. Obviously, I prefer a sharper picture despite the artifacts since I like the Toshiba's. OTOH, I still cannot settle on a new prog scan player to drive my new Panny 53". There are just so many more things to consider when it comes to getting a player for a big, widescreen TV.

Isaac, if you don't know already, the Toshiba's and the Sony's have long been on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of 16x9 downconversion, and I suspect things haven't really changed lately. Everybody else seems to fall somewhere in between. I suggested Sony in large part because they'll probably offer everything else that you wanted, ie. the ease-of-use/ergonomics/efficiency factors, that most others do not.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks