What's new

DVD ETC. MAGAZINE POLL: "The Top 100 DVDs of All Time" (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
1. LotR: FotR EE. Incredible movie made better by the additions of footage that helps. Reference a/v. And for supplements, it's not a question of what's on there as what's not on there.

Exactly

If you want to know what DVD is truly capable of, look no further.

2. Star Wars II: AotC: THE reference DVD for live action A/V. And the movie is loads of fun as well.

3. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, Platinum Edition: Great supplements on a truly timeless classic, and you'd never believe a movie that's over 70 years old can look this good.

4. Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box: Two of the greatest animated movies of all time get the deluxe treatment, and they look and sound spectacular as well.

5. Almost Famous/ Untitles: The Bootleg Cut: Another director's cut done right, characters are fleshed out and moments that flew by too fast are given time to breathe. The Stillwater CD was a nice touch, and the Stairway to Heaven deleted scene is a great find, and brings new meaning to the idea of interaction.

6. Three Colors Trilogy: Three fantastic movies represented faithfully on DVD. Extras, while not overwhelming in volume, make up for it in their depth.

7. and 8. Fight Club and Se7en Platinum Series: These two movies go side by side in my mind. Edgy violence that remains thought provoking and not the mindless blood and gore that is too often mistaken for relevance. A massive amount of extras that nonetheless remain focused. Love or hate Fincher, there's no denying his vision.

9. A Bug's Life, Collector's Edition: This movie, along with Terminator 2: UE and Fight Club gave us the first idea of what DVD was capable of, with a wealth of extras that answered virtually any question you might have about the movie, along with colors so bright you'd swear there was no screen.

10. The Matrix: no DVD collection is complete without it. This was when people first realized DVD was going to be far bigger the LD ever was.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
1) Three Colours Trilogy

Three great films, loads of extras with each film, including irreplaceable footage/commentary from the deceased director, beautiful picture and sound quality. All for $28 makes it the best value ever.

2) Toy Story Ultimate Boxed Set

Two Classic movies + reference quality picture & sound + loads of extras + very reasonable price = all time great DVD

2) Tarzan Collector's Edition

See #1, except substitute 1 classic movie for 2.

3) Monster's Inc.

Great animated film, outstanding extras. Perfect picture and sound quality.

4) the Decalogue

10 great polish films at superb price point.

6) The Searchers

Not only is this John Wayne's best film, but the DVD presentation does an amazing job of restoring the resolution quality of this almost-50 year old movie.

7) Contact

I include this one for historical impact. When "Contact" was released in late 1997, it displayed not only the superb picture quality achievable with anamorphic widescreen, but also the "extras" factor. We got the quantity and quality of extras that a year before would have cost $130 for a laser disc box set for $20. Amazing.

8) the Matrix

Another "historical impact" choice. This was the first huge seller, and its incredible display of picture quality, sound quality, and special effects extras helped DVD go "mass market".

9) the Rolling Stones "Bridges to Babylon"

The sound quality of the 5.1 mix is amazing. IMO, this DVD makes the case for 5.1 audio replacing stereo for music recordings by itself.

10) North by Northwest

Like the Searchers, a great film that is vastly improved over all other versions by the video-enhancement quality of DVD.

When i showed it to my dad, he said "i haven't seen the film look this good since the 1950s"...

Anyway, that's my top 10

Larry O. Henderson

Auditioning
2001: A Space Odyssey- the best science fiction of all time finally has justice done to it. It looks and sounds as nice as when I saw it in Cinerama.
8 1/2- The inclusion of interviews, critiques and trailers to this great package had the same affect on me as when I first saw it . It was and is an epiphany.
Being John Malkovich- a DVD as playful as the film.
Brazil- the Criterion 3 disk set should be required of all serious film lovers, a hoot and a revelation.
Lawrence of Arabia- fantastic print and wonderful back story on the filming process. It does not get any better.
Lord of the Rings:Fellowship of the Ring-possibly the best DVD on to come out . The added material and "extras" not only are all inclusive, but as entertaining as the film, a rare treat.
Mad Max-finally the film with the original Australian dialogue.
Metropolis- The first great science fiction film probably looks better than it ever has. Another treasure done justice at last.
West Side Story- yet another film that finally, after 40 years, gets the treatment it has long deserved. One film I missed at release that must look as great as it ever did.

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
My Top Ten:
1. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring-Extended Cut-
The best DVD out on the market. Everything on this 4 disk set suports what DVD is all about. From a great DTS and DD5.1 soundtrack to a overload of extras of wealth and depth, this is the highwater mark for DVD.

2. Fight Club: SE-
The last great film of the 90's comes in a 2 disc set in which every extra on it suports why it's so great. For years this was the highwater mark for DVD until Lord or the Rings came along. A massive amount of extras that suports the vision of Fincher and remains focused on the film.

3. Brazil: Criterion Collection SE-
We love the Criterion Collection, and they love DVD. Here is the last word on one of the great films of the 80's with a box set that even today still stands up as the benchmark for the Criterion Collection on DVD.

4. Terminator 2 Judgment Day: Ultimate Edition-
On DVD this is action film school in a box. Everything you need to know about making a summer blockbuster can be see in this DVD set. From 3 cuts of the film to a boatload of cool menus and extras, it will make you want say "I'll be back" for more.

5. Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones SE-
Even if the extras aren't half as good as Episode I's disc, this the benchmark for all aspects of sound and picture presentation on DVD.

6. Pearl Harbor Directors Cut: Vista DVD-
Even if you didn't like the film *ok I did it wasn't that bad* this DVD may change your mind. With great extra's that make up for some of the history lost in the film over 4 disc's, 3 commentary tracks that suport how and why the film was made, and some of the best audio presentation this side of Star Wars. It also comes in one of the coolest cases I've ever seen.

7. Untitled: Almost Famous The Bootleg Cut- This is the best director's out on DVD. The best film of 2000 is at last fleshed out and shows why DVD is the best place for a director to go back and show us his vision of his film the way it was ment to be seen. And it also has the best commentary track I've ever heard in my life.

8. Boogie Nights: SE-
If there ever was a party on a DVD, this would be it. With 2 commentary tracks that really outdo themselfs and are as fun as the film, and it has one of the best DD5.1 tracks that make you want to pump up the bass for the disco soundtrack.

9. The Matrix-
The first big seller on DVD, and the first dvd that proved that it was going to outdo laserdisc. Everyone need to own this disc just for the fact that it shows what DVD is and can do for the home theater.

10 tie* Singin in the Rain:SE and Citizen Kane:SE-
The greatest movie musical of all time and the greatest film of all time come to dvd in two great 2 disc sets that show off what needs to be done for more classic films. From Singin's great vibrant color and DD5.1 and extras with most of the films cast. And what can you say about Kane's great second disc that has the doc The Battle Over Citizen Kane. This is the benchmark for all classic films that still have yet to come to dvd.

Dan Davidson

Auditioning
The Fifth Element.
a) Visual excitement with an exciting plot. The colors in the movie are brilliant. b)Bruce Willis's line, "Anybody else want to negotiate?"

The Matix
a) Cult standard. b) Ground breaking special effects.

Apollo 13
a) Outstanding soundtrack. b) Truly a great story.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
  1. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Special Extended DVD Edition -- Actually succeeds in making the best better. A richer and more satisfying journey into Middle Earth and a stunning transfer. It's the only DVD to come with its own bookends!
  2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs-- Brilliant and vivid restoration looks like it was made yesterday combined with a fun and original menu full of fascinating extras. At once a delight and a DVD, "for children of all ages" in the best Disney tradition.
  3. Moulin Rouge -- A true jaw-dropping spectacle of color and sound. Proof that DVD can vindicate a film when shown in the best possible manner.
  4. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones-- Stellar transfer and a soundtrack capable of causing your equipment to smoke. Spectacular extras and a wonderful menu system. A DVD fit for the red carpet.
  5. Brazil (Criterion Collection) -- It may not be anamorphic or have the best sound but this 3 disc edition proves that the DVD format, in itself, can be make landmarks in Hollywood history. A disturbing look behind the scenes of one director's odyssey to get his vision published. And it's the only edition of Brazil worthy of viewing.
  6. The Passion of Joan of Arc -- Criterion's astounding edition of Dreyer's masterpiece. Few but highly insightful extras don't detract from the beautiful restoration. The inclusion of Richard Einhorn's score does what no other revision of this masterpiece has done, made it even better.
  7. Metropolis (Kino) -- A beautiful and faithful restoration that reignites this carbon arc masterpiece like it hasn't been since its release over half a century ago.
  8. Rear Window -- A loving restoration beautifully displayed and a great list of extras all gracefully cede the limelight to Hitchcock's greatest film. One of the few DVDs where everything serves the film rather than itself.
  9. Sunset Boulevard -- Finest presentation of a black and white sound era film on DVD bar none. When one considers what the film looked like before, this presentation is a miracle.
  10. Monsters Inc. -- The best of the digital-to-digital transfers. Pixar maintains its lead with a charming story and inventive use of extras. [/list=1]

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended edition. It's difficult to imagine any way a DVD could ever improve on this perfect combination: a masterpiece film, reference-quality video and audio, fascinating features, gorgeous packaging, and unobtrusive menu design.

From the Earth to the Moon. HBO's early box set helped to start TV on DVD down the right road, and it still looks and sounds great today. Add to that the bonus surprise of DD 5.1 sound, which is listed nowhere on the packaging.

Children of Paradise. Once again, Criterion gets it right. Gorgeous transfer of a landmark film, complete with original sound mix.

The Prince of Egypt. Amazing audio and video, and some very interesting and adult special features. Dreamworks set the bar pretty high for Disney DVD to match.

NOT making the list:

Tarzan SE and the Toy Story and Fantasia boxes. Giving masterpieces of animation their due; great combinations of features with stellar transfers. Too bad almost all of the early Disney SEs so frequently blew up when placed in Toshiba DVD players. I had to buy a new Pioneer deck just to watch these three discs, and the HTF threads complaining about this problem were longer than some Star Wars threads.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
My top 10-

1. LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP EE- Like most people, I
feel this is the DVD package to own for movie fans. Great
movie, picture, sound and supplements. I appreciate that
the film makers and cast had fun with the documentaries
and commentaries. A labor of love for all and a delight
to own.

2. SE7EN Platinum Edition- Great movie, picture transfer
and some good extras. It was nice of Fincher to include
the original ending as part of the deleted scenes (I
thought the cut ending was better than what was put into
the movie)

3. THE GODFATHER Box Set- Classic movies, nice packaging
and it's great to have the additional scenes included with
the set. The documentary is good also.

4. THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (2 disc edition)- I was
stunned at how good the picture looked, and the extras
are worthwhile (the interview with Meat Loaf is priceless)

5. PEARL HARBOR Vista Series- A DVD to own for the packaging
and supplements

6. THE ULTIMATE TOY BOX- Fun movies with awesome picture
transfers and loaded with goodies.

7. PULP FICTION Collector's Edition- The best movie ever
made with a much improved color transfer and a decent
supply of behind the scenes stuff (the Charlie Rose
interview with Tarantino is a nice addition)

8. BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY- Fun movies with some good
audio track information that is informative and entertaining.

9. THE SIMPSONS COLLECTOR SETS- Nice packaging, alot of
audio information and it's nice to have the 5.1 audio.

10. MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL Special Edition- The
funniest movie of all time with a good supply of extras.

I hope that more special editions will be released for
movies that should have supplements (RAGING BULL, DOG
DAY AFTERNOON, GOODFELLAS). Also let's hope that the
extended version of THE TWO TOWERS will be as good as
FELLOWSHIP. :D

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Saving Private Ryan (DTS version).
Audiophile reference disc for HT. Excellent storyline.
The Fifth Element (Superbit).
Flawless video transfer. Excellent audio, and available in DD or DTS. Best SciFi of the '90s.
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship... (Extended Version).
Another incredible video transfer. One of the best sounding soundtracks available as well.
A Bug's Life CE (2-disc set).
Amazing animation and colors. Anamorphic WS!! Very entertaining for the whole family.
Shrek.
Arguably the BEST DVD ever! Vivid colors, flawless video. Very good sound track. A DVD that can be watched over and over and...

Declan

Second Unit
1. LOTR Fellowship Of The Ring Extended Eition:
Reference Quality a/v with extras that are produced and as interesting, exciting and fantasic as the movie itself. The fact that this is only the first third make the next 2 years very exciting for DVD owners and lovers of film.

2. Godfather Boxset.
One of the greatest screen saga's ever with cleaned up prints and 5.1 remasters. The fact that that is only the start of it. You also get 9 hours of commentary from Coppola, an hours worth of deleted scenes from the trilogy and excellent documentary and much more. watching this makes you bless the day you bought one of those new fangled dvd player thingy's way back when.

3. Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box.
Digital to digital transfers of both movies and acres of behind the scenes footage and drawings. Until LOTR came along this was the ultimate with regards presentation and extras.

4. Fight Club.
The film is great, the a/v quality is outstanding, the extras set a benchmark. But the real reason this should be on this list is because it showed that DVD treats a film and brings it to a wider audience. The film was great to begin with, but it took the DVD release and David Fincher/Richard Prior to show what a classic was missed at the cinema by so many people.

5. The Matrix.
Benchmark release, pure and simple. How many times have to seen a DVD release being described as having a "follow the white rabbit" function as an extra since The Matrix was released. Also it was the first to sell 1 million copies, surely that stands for something.

6. T2 Ultimate Edtion.
3 different versions, 5.1-ex, DTS-es. many of the extras are ported over from the SpEd LD, but it was such an amazing release from the first rumour of it to the moment you had every extra watched 10 times over. Classic groundbreaking film.

7. Superman SpEd.
Warner did an outstanding job on the remaster for this that the other Superman movies just felt totally out of place next to it. Excellent commentary, and some great documentaries on the making as well as a very poignant tribute to Christoper Reeve.

8. Pearl Harbor Vista Series.
Ok you may hate the film but you cant deny the TLC with what this set was put together with. Great commentaries, and hours and hours worth of extras. Very comprehensive package.

9. The Abyss
The first DVD to truly use seamless brancing to great effect. Benchmark release, along with some great and detailed info.

10 Die Hard Trilogy Ultimate Edtion Boxset
Just a treasure trove of delights for Die Hard nuts (myself included). The a/v quality is great (apart from the extreme edge enhancement on With A vengence), it's just a great boxset.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Here are my choices to include in the that Top 100 List:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition set. It is arguably the FINEST DVD release ever, with superb sound (both Dolby Digital and DTS-ES soundtracks), superb picture quality, FOUR insightful commentary tracks, and a two-disc Supplemental disc set with so much information it would take several days to view them all. This release demonstrates the potential of DVD to its very fullest.

2. Beauty and the Beast Platinum Edition release. Excellent picture quality, good sound quality, good commentary track, and a good supplemental disc with lots of information about the production and release of the the movie, including the Broadway stage show and the creation of the "Human Again" sequence for the Special Edition release.

3. Atlantis: The Lost Empire Collector's Edition release. An under-appreciated Disney animated feature gets a first-class two-disc release, with an excellent movie disc that sports excellent picture quality and superb sound (in Dolby Digital and DTS sound). The Supplemental disc that comes with this set has probably the best disc navigation system I've ever seen, no contest.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
This is my first post here so hello everyone!

My Top 10

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
“Truly beautiful from the transfer to the sound right down to the menus and the packaging. And I think it would be IMPOSSIBLE to include a more complete set of extras on any other DVD. Ever!”

Do The Right Thing
“Epitomises excellence. Whenever I hear ‘The Criterion Collection’ I think of this title. When I look at this on my shelf I get giggly. Most informative and enjoyable supplements I’ve ever seen.”

Citizen Kane
“’The Greatest Film Ever’ holds up REMARKABLY well by today's standards and if this film is perhaps a little overrated, the fact that this is one of the greatest DVD’s ever made is beyond question.”

Star Wars: Episode 1- The Phantom Menace
“Due to the audio/video quality if this disc came with only ‘The Beginning’ documentary it would still make my top ten list. But then there is just more and more and.....”

The Godfather Collection
“Two of my favourite films ever packaged in a boxset which didn’t let me down in the slightest. A required purchase for everybody who owns a DVD player!”

E.T- The Extra Terrestrial
“A release this good makes the years and years of waiting worth it. The most lovingly produced features spread over THREE discs with two versions of the film. Everything that any fan would love.”

Star Wars: Episode 2- Attack Of The Clones
“Almost as good as the Episode 1 disc. Need I say more?”

The Matrix
“The importance of the original DVD is beyond question. Now it comes packaged with ‘The Matrix Revisited’ a purchase is mandatory.”

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
“Really wish that this DVD’s special features would have been printed in an accompanying book but the presentation of the film is flawless.”

Monsters Inc.
“My first experience in which a film I have watched at the cinema looks better on my T.V. The most ENJOYABLE film in years.”

Considerations
1.A.I- Artificial Intelligence
2.Beauty And The Beast
3.Carrie
4.Requiem For A Dream
5.Se7en
6.Back To The Future Trilogy
7.American Graffiti
8.Taxi Driver
9.Minority Report
10.Vertigo
11.North By Northwest

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
1. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - Extended Edition

The film is nothing less than a modern classic, the DVD is nothing more than the greatest ever made.

2. Fight Club

In one of the earliest super special editions, this criminally underappreciated film got an incredible boost on home video, thanks to this cutting edge package full of commentaries, deleted scenes and, of course, killer audio and video.

3. The Ultimate Toy Box

Putting together two of the funniest, most wondrous films ever made with perfect digital transfers and a boatload of extras makes this set truly ultimate.

4. The Godfather Collection

Francis Ford Coppola's epic trilogy makes it to DVD in a satisfying fashion, with commentaries for each film as well as a nice 70+ minute documentary.

5. The Back To The Future Collection

One of the most sought after titles in DVD's history (even more so than choice #4), the BTTF films finally arrived in DVD in December. The films look great, practically like it's still the 80's, and in spite of a snafu concerning the framing of films 2 and 3, this is still a tremendous set.

6. Band Of Brothers

Taken from Stephen Ambrose's book, this mini-series documents the real-life actions of the first U.S. airborne unit in World War II. Essentially ten hours of Saving Private Ryan, this is easily the best single event ever aired on television. The razor sharp video, DTS soundtrack and bonus extras disc only seal the deal.

7. E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial - The Ultimate Gift Set

E.T. has finally come home, in a lavish package that boasts four discs (including a soundtrack cd), a hardbound book and other assorted goodies. The film looks and sounds great, and the overall presentation of the E.T. world is magnificent.

8. Lawrence Of Arabia - Limited Edition

The epic lover's epic made its debut on DVD and has never looked better...except in theaters. Despite a few problems with the video and audio transfers (generally imperceptible to any but the most astute viewer), T.E. Lawrence's adventures come alive as this DVD sucks us through the screen and into a world of heat, light and courage.

9. The Matrix

Something of a classic in the DVD world, this was the first real sales juggernaut. The film is still as amazing as ever, and the DVD's presentation can still stand up to today's high-tech sets, despite being produced over three years ago.

10. Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition

Three versions of the film, a commentary track and DTS, not to mention a plethora of extra goodies on disc number two. It really makes you wonder why they would ever choose to do another edition of this film, but "Extreme" is coming anyway.

Rick Sullivan

Auditioning
1. Tombstone (Vista Series) The Directors Cut
A superb presentation of a superb movie.

2. Armageddon (The Criterion Collection)
Scifi, disaster, epic, a whole lot of movie and a whole lot of entertainment.

3. The Fifth Element (Superbit)
Visually stunning with the audio to go with it.

4. Gosford Park
A masterpiece by Robert Altman.

5. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Studio Classics)
A great story beautifully filmed.

6. Backdraft
Excellent movie, puts you right in the action!

7. Men in Black
My first DVD and still one of my favorites.

8. Lilo & Stich
My grandson loves this and so do I. A joy to watch and you get Elvis too!

9. Monsters, Inc.
Really quite even with number 8. It's a movie that can be enjoyed over and over!

10. The Last of the Mohicans (DTS)
Takes off running and never stops!

AllanN

Supporting Actor
1. A.I.: Artificial Intelligence: Special Edition
Two of the greatest filmmakers of our time collaborate to bring is this epic journey of discovery, bundled in a full featured double disk set.

2. Amélie
The most heartwarming film I have ever seen. Fall in love with Amélie all over again.

3. American Beauty: The Awards Edition
A true American classic with one of the crispest DTS tracks available. Look Closer.

4. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within: Special Edition
A milestone in achieving photo realistic human animated characters using the power of motion captures animation, fully documented in this special edition DVD.

5. Se7en: Platinum Series
A truly griping story that will keep you glued to your seat until the final frame. Jam packed with behind the scenes features and commentary.

6. Vanilla Sky
A wild ride of self discovery mastered by wonderful acting and direction.

7. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Seamless and groundbreaking, bringing together the cell animated world of cartoons and life action film.

8. Lawrence of Arabia: Limited Edition
Unless you own a 70mm projector, this two disk DVD is the definitive way to experience the paramount scope of this epic film.

9. Citizen Kane
Arguably the greatest American film of all time. A pristine restoration coupled with an extensive history of the film.

10. Fight Club
A film that might truly change our outlook on life, in what has to be the most feature packed DVD I have had the privilege to own.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Not conclusive as yet (with comments and ranking to follow) because I'm still deciding on some. Here's what it looks like so far in no particular order:

Star Wars Episode II The Attack of the Clones
Back To The Future Trilogy
Se7en: Platinum Edition
Dark City: Platinum Edition
The Godfather Collection
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition
The Matrix
Terminator 2 -Ultimate Edition
Red Curtain Trilogy Box Set
Toy Story Box Set

Mark Perkins

Agent
Fight Club- Special Edition
the Matrix
Se7en- New Line Platinum Series
Brazil- Criterion Collection
Toy Story- the Ultimate Toy Box
the Godfather Collection
Mullholland Dr.
Terminator 2- Ultimate Edition
Rear Window
Seven Samurai- Criterion Collection

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
The Big Lebowski

Sure, it's archaic compared to some other discs… released in the infancy of the DVD revolution. But it's probably the most re-watchable movie ever made.

Citizen Kane

A beautiful restoration which provides a "case closed" argument against colorization. (Sorry, Mr. Turner.) The previously-acclaimed "Battle Over Citizen Kane" documentary could very well be the ultimate DVD supplement.

Die Hard - Five Star Edition

Even the most high-brow movie snob wants a chance to blow the dust out of the ol' subwoofer. And this is the ticket. A reference-quality DTS soundtrack, great transfer, and a disc full of supplementary goodies. The best damn holiday movie ever.

In The Mood For Love - The Criterion Collection

If measured on aesthetics alone, this is Criterion's crown jewel. Every shot of Wong Kar Wai's latest looks like it could be hung on a wall. The extras are plentiful, the soundtrack is beautiful, and the short-story booklet is just icing on the rice cake.

Monty Python - The Complete Series

Your chance to own a piece of history, at an affordable price to boot. Essential, unless your last name happens to be Gumby.

Rushmore - Criterion

Perfect film. Perfect disk. Heck, even the perfect cover.

Sports Night - The Complete Series

Bare-bones audio and video, lackluster packaging and no extras whatsoever. However - in all - this is a definitive example of an age-old statement: "The play's the thing." It's truly a privilege to get this incredible series crammed into one box.

Star Trek - The Motion Picture - The Directors Edition

A great film? Perhaps not. A revelation on DVD? Most definitely. Wise's new cut makes the elephant dance… and the supplements don't suck, either.

2001 - A Space Odyssey

They finally got it right the second time around. Appropriately mid-blowing image and sound.

The Zatoichi Series

At eight volumes and counting, the Japanese mega-series about a blind masseur with the ultimate concealed weapon should come with a Surgeon General's warning. They’re that damn addictive.

HONORABLE MENTION

J Men Forever

I still can't believe I own this one on a shiny little disc. The long-lost, living definition of a 'camp classic' finally finds life beyond hand-me-down VHS dubs. And the world is a better place for it. "Hey! Is that Leonard Nimoy?"

Jason Monette

Second Unit
T2: Ultimate Collection - 3 different movies, gobbs of extras, DTS, and a cool metal box

Matrix- Great movie, great sound, use it as a demo disk all the time (when neo is dodging bullets on the roof, it is a great surround sound demo)

Toy Story 2 Pack - Bass baby, bass

Blade - tons of extras, great sound

Star Wars Episode I and II - ah, it is Star Wars, it has lightsabers, it has a pod race, it R2-D2, it is Star Wars

Gladiator - Flat out one of the best movies every made, good extras, DTS, Great DVD

Lord of the Rings: Special Extended Edition: Breath taking landscapes, tons of extras, deleted scenes seemlessly added

Se7en Special Edition: One of the most sobering movies every made

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks