What's new

DVD black level control: on or off (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
I posted a similar question elsewhere but didn't get a response, probably due to the my poor subject title.

Anyway, when calibrating and viewing DVDs using a progressive scan player hooked up to a HD-ready direct-view CRT TV via component cables, should I turn the enhanced black level control on the DVD player on or off?

I ask this because I have the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc (which is co-produced by the same people who did the highly regarded Avia disc), and it very specifically says to turn the enhanced black level control on the DVD player to the off position before calibrating. This contradicts my DVD player's manual which says to turn on the enhanced black level control when using component video outputs.

For the record, my TV is a Sony 36XBR450 and the DVD player is a Panasonic RP82...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
As far as I know, you should always set the brightness level of the TV with whatever black-level setting you're going to watch DVDs with. I don't understand why the S&V disc (which I haven't used yet) would instruct you to set it one way, then watch in the other??

If you're DVD player is connected to the display with component video cables, it's preferable to use the enhanced blacks setting.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Since the Sony TV model listed does not have individual input memory settings, I think you'll find that by turning the enhanced black level setting off, and then doing your calibration, the other inputs (VCR, cable/satellite, laserdisc, etc.) will be set correctly. If you calibrate with the enhanced black level setting on, then the black level of all your other sources will be off.

On TV's that have individual input memories you wouldn't have this concern and it would be preferable to use the enhanced black level setting as JohnnyG pointed out.

If nothing else, try it both ways and report back here which worked best for you.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Allan,
As you known (but maybe not others in this forum), this AVS forum thread: Link Removed
is covering the subject quite well. :)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Ah, I see then.

Using your DVD player to set the user controls will only be accurate for the particular input type and resolution you are feeding the TV. For example, if your DVD player is set to 480p progressive output, the picture settings you determine will only be correct for 480p. If your TV has individual memories for each input, you should repeat all the test patterns and record the results for each of composite, s-video, 480i and 480p and set the user controls for each input as appropriate.

If the TV does not have individual memories, then go through the same procedure and find an acceptable compromise between the results. In this case, it probably is best to turn off the 'enhanced blacks' setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks