What's new

DVD Audio vs./or SACD questions (1 Viewer)

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Since I've not been able to locate a DVD player w/ progressive scan with both these features (why is that?), I'd like to know which is the best value.
Since DVD players with the SACD feature and DVD players w/ the DVD-Audio features are pretty much the same price, I'd like some suggestions on which one to get. I've been loooking at the Kenwood 400 disc DVD/DVD-A player as I would like the changer capabilities. Haven't seen a mega changer with progressive scan and SACD...maybe I haven't looked hard enough(?)
>Can you'burn' SACD's??
>Will a DVD player w/ SACD still play DVD-A?
Any suggestions are apreciated.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Andrew,
Pioneer's Elite DV-AX10 plays both SACD and DVD-A and has progressive video output. And lists for about $5,500.
Dedicated players would be somewhat more cost effective.
No, you can't burn SACD, or DVD-A for that matter. The studios are being *very* restrictive about access to their high resolution multichannel digital audio formats. Of course, you could contract with them to produce a disc for you.
No, a combined SACD/DVD video player won't play DVD-A discs. DVD-A audio is not compatible with any of the DVD-Video audio formats. Stereo 24/96 audio DVDs (also called DADs) are available that will play on any standard DVD-V player, but they're not DVD-A format. But they do sound great!
I have to admit that I'm dubious about the liklihood that the analog outputs of an inexpensive mega-changer will be up to the quality levels needed to do justice to either SACD or DVD-A format. Being able to play them does not mean that you'll get the best available sound. I'm sure they'll sound fine, comparable to high quality standard CDs, but not as good as they could be.
Don't forget that SACD and DVD-A soundtracks are not directly available on the digital outputs of any current player. Any digital output from one of those discs is required to be down-mixed to a lower resolution. Their full resolution is only allowed to be available on the analog outputs. Various copy-protection methods are being designed so that digital outputs will be available in a year or so, but whichever one is chosen will require all new player, receiver and preamp/processor designs.
As for which one to pick, I'd suggest looking through the titles that are available and pick the format that includes more of those that you like.
I hope this helps a little.
------------------
Selden
[Edited last by Selden Ball on November 10, 2001 at 03:33 PM]
[Edited last by Selden Ball on November 10, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Seldon, I just wanted to expound on this a bit...
You said,
"No, a combined SACD/DVD video player won't play DVD-A discs. DVD-A audio is not compatible with any of the DVD-Video audio formats."
Actually, if it is a combo SACD/DVD player, it WILL play a DVD-A disc, but at the DD or DTS resolution, not the ultra high res of DVD-A. All DVD-A titles I have seen and heard so far have DVD-V compatible formats included with the higher resolution DVD-A format. I guess this could be important to a customer if they wanted to have SACD capability, DVD-V, and the option to listen to the multi-channel mixes in DD or DTS or DVD-A discs...assuming the album was not available on SACD.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Just to add to the above statement...
Some of the new SACD players coming out are ONLY SACD players and not combo SACD/DVD. With this in mind, Seldon is correct for a player that will only play SACDs...you would not be able to listen to multi-channel DD or DTS mixes on DVD-A.
Jer

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Pioneer's Elite DV-AX10 plays both SACD and DVD-A and has progressive video output. And lists for about $5,500.
Warning, it has multichannel capabilities for DVD-A but it only supports 2 channel SACD. Just a fact if you were interested in the Pany. It still is a great player BTW.
------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
I do believe that Jeremy's right :)
Be sure to read the disc labels carefully, however. My impression is that some DVD-A discs are DVD-A only. I havn't actully purchased any, though, so I could be wrong.
FWIW, there are some excellent highbitrate multichannel DTS audio music discs, too. They'll play on any DTS capable player/receiver combination.
------------------
Selden

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer has a new one coming, you can see details here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=16822
It'll do multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio. I believe its coming early next year and will be around $1500.
A while back I read somewhere that someone has developed a single chipset to handle DVD-Audio and SACD. If this is true more reasonably priced universal players should be showing up in the near future.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
combined SACD/DVD video player
just a warning about these players: neither DVDs nor SACDs will be played back as well using them. i was on the brink of purchasing the new Sony '650 that did both, but decided to move to the 'CE775 and also get a Panny RP91 to play DVD-A. i'm gonna get better sound out of the Sony for SACD and better picture out of the Panny (plus DVD-A
wink.gif
) than i would with the combined player.
SACD or DVD-A? i chose both. :)
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it looks like the SACD is the one for me, thanks. So is there a SACD/DVD mega changer?? Over 200 discs. I need to know so I can tell the wife what she'll be getting me for Christmas
wink.gif

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Well, it looks like the SACD is the one for me, thanks. So is there a SACD/DVD mega changer?? Over 200 discs."
I don't believe there is a mega-changer available yet. A couple of 5 disc carousels are available from Sony at this time.
If I were you, before making a decision, I would look at the software available for both formats as well. Depending on what kind of tunes you like, you'll be able to make a better judgement call.
I think I read in a post the other day that only one disc was available in both formats at this time. Also, it seems more classical music has been released on SACD, whereas the more contemporary stuff can be found on DVD-A. Obviously if you're going to do both in your system it's irrelevant. I haven't purchased either yet because of the lack of intriguing software at this time for my taste.
Jeremy

JonDeutsch

Grip
A few comments on items on this thread:
Be sure to read the disc labels carefully, however. My impression is that some DVD-A discs are DVD-A only. I havn't actully purchased any, though, so I could be wrong
At least Warner (who released the majority of the DVD-A's to-date) standardizes on having at least a dolby digital track and most also have a DTS tract atop of the DVD-A track.
From DVDAUDIOPREVIEW.COM: "All DVD-Audio releases from the Warner/Elektra/Atlantic family of labels are DVD Video-compatible because they contain a Dolby Digital surround sound mix."
And lastly, no, there is no SACD mega-changer made to-date. You can bet Sony will be the first out of the gate with one of these. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen one already.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I wouldn't necessarily expect the Pioneer DV-747A to be available in North America. I read about this model recently in What Hi*Fi?, and it looks to be a great player, but I don't believe it will be marketed in the US and Canada. It is possible that Pioneer will offer a similar model in the Elite line, but I haven't heard anything to that effect. Notice that the '747A does not carry the Elite name. Pioneer does not use the Elite name outside of North America, as far as I know. The point is that the '747A is a high-end Pioneer product, and Pioneer rarely markets a high-end product without the Elite name in North America. The DV-AX10 is a rare exception. Also, the '747A follows the Pioneer DV-717 and DV-737 non-North American high-end DVD players, so again, I don't know that the '747A will be made available in North America.
As an example of how Pioneer markets its products in different parts of the world, consider that in North America, we have the Pioneer Elite DV-38A progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. The counterpart marketed in Europe (and possibly elsewhere) is the Pioneer DV-939A with no Elite badge. Again, I am hoping for an Elite version of the '747A in North America, but not expecting the '747A itself.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm....that APEX even has Karaoke....Is APEX a brand to stay clear of though? I think I've seen APEX in K-Mart...not sure. Seems decent enough, I guess...

Vin

Supporting Actor
Is APEX a brand to stay clear of though?
Depends on who you ask I guess, I've never owned one myself.
I know Circuit City carries the Apex brand.....whether or not they have this particular player yet, I'm not sure. For this price though, I would definitely consider the Apex if I was looking for this capability. Also, considering Circuit City's return policy, I would say it's definitely worth a shot.
Good luck.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
It is likely that the DV-747 will be released in the USA as the DV-47A, and I bet we'll see it on display at CES 2001.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,
Thanks for the info. Sounds reasonable. I wonder what kind of a price tag the US version would carry. I imagine it would be similar to the '747A. Time will tell.
Vin and Andrew,
The APEX AD-7701 was announced many months ago and has yet to see the light of day. I don't know what's up with that player. J&R Music World has had the '7701 on its web site for pre-orders for months now. In any event, I have many questions about this player. First of all, I wonder if it will be a capable player in any way. APEX doesn't enjoy the great reputation. I certainly have doubts about how this player will perform with DVD-Audio discs and SACDs. I also wonder if this player will have a DSD DAC or if the DSD bitstream from SACDs will be converted to PCM. If it converts to PCM, will it be able to play multi-channel SACDs? I too am intrigued by this player, but I am not keeping my hopes up for it to be a very good player.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Vin

Supporting Actor
I hear ya Keith, good points raised. I've found that you usually get what you pay for but there are exceptions to the rule, examples: SVS, Kenwood receivers, Radio Shack remotes.....these are just a few that come to mind as products that offer a tremendous bang for your buck. Hopefully, the do-it-all Apex player will also fall into this category.....if it ever makes it to market.
Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks