What's new

DVD AFICIONADO changes counting system -- BOOO!!! (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
To the members of HTF,

I have never tried to start something like this before, so here goes. I know many of us use DVD AFICIONADO to keep track of our DVD collections (PS I don't want this be a thread about why DVDAF isn't good, so keep it on track). I noticed today that they have changed their counting system. Previously, your collection read something like "X Listings, Y Titles". This is to cover the fact that many of the listings have more than 1 title. For example, THE DIE HARD TRILOGY has 3 movies in it (3 titles). On the old system, this would read as "1 listing, 3 titles". Now, it simply reads "1 listing". This isn't a fair depiction of our collections. I have almost 400 movies, but many of them came in box sets, and now, DVDAF says I only have a little over 350.

Hopefully, some of you think we should go back to the old counting system. If you want DVDAF to go back, drop them a line, [email protected]. Who knows? If enough people write in, they might change back. Let me know what you guys think about this.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Not to be negative but does it really matter. I use DVDAF to keep track of my DVDs and show other people what I have. Unless I want brag that I have X-number of movies.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Some people just like to keep track of how many different movies they have. What gets me is the people that say "I have X number of DVDs" that are actually counting the discs. So 2 disc SEs count as 2 DVDs...TV box sets really bump that number up for people.

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
I actually like it. The actual number of discs isn't really important to me, as long as they keep their all-around format I'm happy.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'm not talking about actual number of discs, I'm talking about actual number of movie titles.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
When I click on All Owned, it still tells me how many "titles" I have.

EDIT: nevermind, it doesn't show "titles" when viewing other people's collection...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, this results from the recent problem of having TV box sets count as "1 title per disc", such as Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 counting as 7 titles because it was 7 discs.

This solves that problem. As far as I can tell, My Godfather box set counts as 3 listings, one for each film. My Indiana Jones set counts as 3. So perhaps it is just a specific error with the Die Hard set.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I just realized that it only shows the number of "titles" under "All Owned" only if the person has divided the collection into folders.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can tell, My Godfather box set counts as 3 listings, one for each film. My Indiana Jones set counts as 3.
Just checked mine. Definitely does NOT show it this way.

I agree that the original format was better.

I will send an email requesting they change back, and hope other will join in as well.

Matt Davies

Auditioning
For most boxsets they list the titles within the set individually (ie: type in Indiana Jones or Die Hard, and you will not only see the boxset, but also ind. titles). You can put those in your collection, as well as the box to signify that you have both, or write a note about the movie in your collection.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I'll stick to my DVDProfiler, thanks.
I've looked at DVDAF a couple of times, never really cared for it for some reason, DVDP OTOH I absolutely LOVE with a passion....

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
For most boxsets they list the titles within the set individually (ie: type in Indiana Jones or Die Hard, and you will not only see the boxset, but also ind. titles). You can put those in your collection, as well as the box to signify that you have both...
Yes, I noticed this before. Looks like I will have to go through my list to re-do my box sets (Toy Story, Indy, Jurassic Park, Godfather etc.).

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I think it's quite all right that they changed it. The number of titles would sometimes be wrong anyway - as it seems they didn't always count by the same rules...

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yeah you should be allowed to count box sets of movies. for example the die hard which was mentioned should = 3, why should it be 1 when the people who bought it seperately get to count 3 titles. As for counting the number of discs some people would count the die hard set as 6 titles because there are 2-discs with each movie. I think that is nuts and not a fair showing of your collection (but your entitled) when you do that with movies. I only count each movie as 1 title no matter how many discs are in the case.

For TV Boxsets i dont have a problem with counting each disc in those, especially in the case of TNG or X-Files. You are paying so much more money for them, they should count for more than 1 title atleast imho.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I sent an email to the address posted above. I indicated that I preferred the previous method and asked if there was a chance they would change it back.

Here is the prompt and professional reply that I received:

Yes there is a chance…

We kept getting complaints one way or the other about the title counting on TV box sets – some people wanted them to count as one title per box, others as one title per disk. No matter which way we went someone complained. So we stopped counting matches and titles and are now just counting listings (formally known as matches). We will se what the response is this way.

Thanks for you support and interest on the site.

Best regards,

Ed

Based on this response, I would recommend that those who are using this service send an email to let them know what you think (even if you like the current method better than the previous, although you would be wrong! :wink: )

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Yeah you should be allowed to count box sets of movies. for example the die hard which was mentioned should = 3, why should it be 1 when the people who bought it seperately get to count 3 titles.
I use DVDP and with regards to box sets if the individual titles are available separately I enter them separately. Can't that be done with DVDA?

--ian

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I wish it was constant. Godfather, Back to the Future and Die Hard Trilogies are one listing. But there is not listing for the Indiana Jones Box (which is weird because Die Hard's Trilogy was available seperately, unlike the other's I mentioned)

I don't care to expand my numbers, I would agree that Box sets of movies should be counted as the number of movies in that box (with an extra disc of bonus material not counted as a new title unless it is available separately like Behind the Planet of the Apes)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I guess having 2 counts was confusing some people.

I wish they would update some other stuff. I submitted a great picture of the Indy 5th disc "Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark Classic Featurette (Promo Disc)" but it's still not there.

I noticed DVD Profiler and DVD Afiionado both didn't have the Indy Box as one entry but the other Box sets I have were

I use DVDP and with regards to box sets if the individual titles are available separately I enter them separately. Can't that be done with DVDA?
For most movies yes, Die hard can be entered as one box set, 3 movies, or a variaty of other options (the original versions of the movies, and what looks like an earlier release of the 3 movies in a 3 disc box set before the New 6 disc set came out, plus releases from other regions)

I used both and found them to have similar listings (at least for my collection the only difference is a lack of the 5th disc of the Indy series, but at 10 mins that should count)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks