DVD AFICIONADO changes counting system -- BOOO!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_WM, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

To the members of HTF,

I have never tried to start something like this before, so here goes. I know many of us use DVD AFICIONADO to keep track of our DVD collections (PS I don't want this be a thread about why DVDAF isn't good, so keep it on track). I noticed today that they have changed their counting system. Previously, your collection read something like "X Listings, Y Titles". This is to cover the fact that many of the listings have more than 1 title. For example, THE DIE HARD TRILOGY has 3 movies in it (3 titles). On the old system, this would read as "1 listing, 3 titles". Now, it simply reads "1 listing". This isn't a fair depiction of our collections. I have almost 400 movies, but many of them came in box sets, and now, DVDAF says I only have a little over 350.

Hopefully, some of you think we should go back to the old counting system. If you want DVDAF to go back, drop them a line, [email protected]. Who knows? If enough people write in, they might change back. Let me know what you guys think about this.

2. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

Not to be negative but does it really matter. I use DVDAF to keep track of my DVDs and show other people what I have. Unless I want brag that I have X-number of movies.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Some people just like to keep track of how many different movies they have. What gets me is the people that say "I have X number of DVDs" that are actually counting the discs. So 2 disc SEs count as 2 DVDs...TV box sets really bump that number up for people.

4. StephanieC

StephanieC Stunt Coordinator

I actually like it. The actual number of discs isn't really important to me, as long as they keep their all-around format I'm happy.

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'm not talking about actual number of discs, I'm talking about actual number of movie titles.

6. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

When I click on All Owned, it still tells me how many "titles" I have.

EDIT: nevermind, it doesn't show "titles" when viewing other people's collection...

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Well, this results from the recent problem of having TV box sets count as "1 title per disc", such as Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 counting as 7 titles because it was 7 discs.

This solves that problem. As far as I can tell, My Godfather box set counts as 3 listings, one for each film. My Indiana Jones set counts as 3. So perhaps it is just a specific error with the Die Hard set.

8. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I just realized that it only shows the number of "titles" under "All Owned" only if the person has divided the collection into folders.

9. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

11. Matt Davies

Matt Davies Auditioning

For most boxsets they list the titles within the set individually (ie: type in Indiana Jones or Die Hard, and you will not only see the boxset, but also ind. titles). You can put those in your collection, as well as the box to signify that you have both, or write a note about the movie in your collection.

12. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I'll stick to my DVDProfiler, thanks.
    I've looked at DVDAF a couple of times, never really cared for it for some reason, DVDP OTOH I absolutely LOVE with a passion....

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

14. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Chris...please clean up the mess you've left here.

15. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I think it's quite all right that they changed it. The number of titles would sometimes be wrong anyway - as it seems they didn't always count by the same rules...

16. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

Yeah you should be allowed to count box sets of movies. for example the die hard which was mentioned should = 3, why should it be 1 when the people who bought it seperately get to count 3 titles. As for counting the number of discs some people would count the die hard set as 6 titles because there are 2-discs with each movie. I think that is nuts and not a fair showing of your collection (but your entitled) when you do that with movies. I only count each movie as 1 title no matter how many discs are in the case.

For TV Boxsets i dont have a problem with counting each disc in those, especially in the case of TNG or X-Files. You are paying so much more money for them, they should count for more than 1 title atleast imho.

17. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I sent an email to the address posted above. I indicated that I preferred the previous method and asked if there was a chance they would change it back.

Here is the prompt and professional reply that I received:

18. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

19. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I wish it was constant. Godfather, Back to the Future and Die Hard Trilogies are one listing. But there is not listing for the Indiana Jones Box (which is weird because Die Hard's Trilogy was available seperately, unlike the other's I mentioned)

I don't care to expand my numbers, I would agree that Box sets of movies should be counted as the number of movies in that box (with an extra disc of bonus material not counted as a new title unless it is available separately like Behind the Planet of the Apes)

20. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I guess having 2 counts was confusing some people.

I wish they would update some other stuff. I submitted a great picture of the Indy 5th disc "Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark Classic Featurette (Promo Disc)" but it's still not there.

I noticed DVD Profiler and DVD Afiionado both didn't have the Indy Box as one entry but the other Box sets I have were