DVD 5 disc changer which sould I buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norm, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I've had it with my Sony C670D the damn thing is always breaking! It locks up if its been on to long, the remote won't turn it off. Even when I first bought it there was a Sony recall to fix it. I need a reliable brand.

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Panasonic CP72

3. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

I have a JVC FA95GD. It's picture quality is great. DVD Audio also. Dolby Digital, DTS decoders and AV Compulink (a feature for other JVC products). Plays MP3's. Only a couple of minor bugs really (I'm pretty picky). The MP3 player won't play in random. And the random doesn't switch from disk to disk, only random on the disk that is playing. Actually I've asked around a little and no one has been able to advise me of a player that has that capability/feature. If anyone knows of one, I'd appreciate it. I emailed JVC about it and they said they were coming out with a bunch of flash that would probably fix the random MP3 thing but they didn't say anything about the switching disks thing. Anyway, I haven't checked but I think the newest model of this player (2003) has the random MP3 thing fixed. This player is also a seven disk changer, not a 5. It would be ideal if you could put in 7 MP3 disks and have it play random disk to disk. That would be like 700 songs without even a hard drive. Anyway, it's a pretty good and definitely reliable piece. I never was a huge JVC fan but I got a killer deal on this one at BB here in Tampa.

4. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
  5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I have the Sony DVP-NC655P. It doesn't have any of the DVD-Audio or SACD features, but otherwise, it's fantastic! I also upgraded from a Sony player, so I had to do very little reprogramming on my universal remote, which was a nice bonus.

I never had a single problem with my Sony S530D, which is why I stayed with Sony. The 655P hasn't given me a single problem either.

6. mike.snazzy

mike.snazzy Auditioning

check out the panny cp72. I got the rp-82 equivalent and it is great.

7. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

This week Best Buy has the Kenwood DV-605, Progressive Scan 5 disc changer for $139. Thru today, there's a 10% off coupon down in the "deals" forum. That makes it $125. I'm considering stopping by after work to pick one up. This thing normally sells for $200 at Crutchfields, BB, CC.

I have an older Kenwood DVD player that is built like a tank, and has never, not once, skipped, locked up, stuttered on a disc. This includes dirty, scratched rentals, and movies that lock up other dvd players (Atlantis for ex.).

Oh, to have unlimited resources.

8. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I just purchased the Panasonic DVD-CV52 at BB. Panasonic is still offering $30 rebate with this unit. I got it for $149.99 before the rebate. I like the slim design and the abilities to play WMA format and DVD-R disc.

9. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I don't need progressive scan. I'm pissed I wasn't planning on buying a new DVD player, but that darn Sony can't handle someone like me that rents all the time.

10. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

If you're not going to take advantage of progressive scan, I couldn't recommend the Panasonic CP72. Its interlaced picture is average at best, and the remote is awful. Mine is currently working perfectly but I'm planning to return it because of concerns that it might not last 6 months. The unbelieveable PQ in prog mode almost makes it worth taking a chance on.

All the best,

Tim

11. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I don't have a HD-TV, so progressive is a waste.

12. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I wouldn't invest in a progscan dvd player right now. Since, the HD-DVD is expected to be on the shelves by xmas -let's hope.

13. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Tim, Why don't you like the remote?

14. TimG

TimG Second Unit

There is no way that HD-dvd will be on the shelves by this christmas.

TimG

15. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

HD-DVD??? May be a stupid question but could you explain this to me in a nutshell??? Please. I do not feel like researching right now. Thanks. MM