What's new

DTS 96/24 Upgrades for DA5ES or RP91? (1 Viewer)

GreggB

Auditioning
Hello,

Does anyone know if the Sony DA5ES can be upgraded to decode DTS 96/24 disk (Like the Queen DVD)? Likewise can the Panasonic RP91 DVD player be upgraded to decode DTS 96/24?

Sony has not been any help as they just shoot back a generic "check our web site for news" email when I asked them.

Maybe the more technical savvy people here can tell me if it is even possible to upgrade these devices or if they can not be upgraded to play DTS 96/24 due to different DTS chip set, etc.

Thanks,

Gregg B

GreggB

Auditioning
Hello,

True it is backward compatible, but it downs converts to 48/24. I want to get the full 96/24 effect.

Here is info from DTSONLINE for those interested. Note items I have italicized.

8. What is 96/24?
More recording is being done at a 96kHz sampling rate and at 24 bits. DTS has always had 24-bit capability, and DTS 96/24 adds the 96kHz capability. It is fully compatible with existing DTS decoders, which will output 96/24 tracks at 48kHz. DTS 96/24 is the only system that:

provides 5.1 channels of 96/24 along with full-motion video on DVD-Video and DVD-Audio (video zone),
is compatible with all DVD-Video players, and
is accessible through the digital output.

9. How Does 96/24 Work?
The DTS coding system has a “core + extension” structure. The “core” represents the DTS data as has been known since the first home decoders. The “extension” can carry data for future applications or enhancements of any sort. All DTS decoders recognize and use the core data. Basic decoders ignore the extension data, while advanced decoders can make use of it. This allows for full backward compatibility for any scheme using the extension. DTS has recently used the extension field for two purposes. In the first case, it has been used to carry an additional channel for 6.1 dis-crete. In the second case, the extension field carries the additional spectral data added by 96-kHz sampling. For a program in DTS 96/24, existing decoders read the core at 48-kHz and reproduce the standard spectrum. DTS 96/24 decoders read both core and extension and reproduce the extended spectrum. The data rate for 96/24 is 1.536Mbit/s, the higher of the two DTS rates presently used. While numerically this might suggest twice as much compression, there is in fact negligible additional compres-sion on the core data. This is because there is relatively little information in the range 24-48kHz, so it can be coded very compactly. The 96/24 stream passes through the S/PDIF just as standard DTS does.

Full text available at http://www.dtsonline.com/home/faq.shtml

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg,

I dont think it is upgradeable as is?? I do know the 4ES does support this, one of the reasons why i decided on it...probably not a real bigh deal, how many 96/24 sources are there??

Alex

GreggB

Auditioning
Hello Alex,

True there are not many DTS 96/24 disk out there. In fact the Queen disk is the only one I know of (and I don't even have it yet).

Think of this more as an obsession with;

1) having the latest and greatest technology.
2) showing my wife why it was necessary to buy an expensive upgradeable receiver.

Thanks,

Gregg B

GreggB

Auditioning
For those interested.

I received the following email from panasonic:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Panasonic DVD-RP91 DVD player and compatibility with the new DTS 96/24 format from DTS. No, the DVD-RP91 can not be upgraded to decode this new DTS format.

Best regards,
Panasonic Customer Call Center
Panasonic Customer Products 22

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks