Drop out in Sound....

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JayKellen, Mar 26, 2004.

1. JayKellen

JayKellen Stunt Coordinator

My friend has a Sony 500 Watt system, and lately, he has been noticing that the sound drops out on occasion. It happens every few minutes. The volumes are fine, then all of a sudden, it gets lower, and then goes back to normal. Any advice on how to fix this? Thanks for any info and advice.

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

I have heard that this may be due to using a coax cable for your digital connection that does not have 75 ohm resistance.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

With the wrong cable for the coaxial-digital connection, the sound usually stops for a second, then comes back. This appears to drop to a lower-volume for a bit, then come back up.

Go ahead and check the digital connection, but I'm not sure this is the problem.

4. JayKellen

He is using an optical cable. His connections look good too. I noticed also that his left rear speaker seems to be at a lower volume compared to the others. We cannot seem to get a setting on his receiver that lets us adjust individual speaker settings. Thanks again for any advice.

5. JayKellen

Oh no....Now, his receiver is going into "Protect" mode....Again, his receiver is a Sony, 500 watt, DTS/Dolby, the works, but it is probably 3 years old. It goes into Protect mode when something loud occurs. He is using "Monster" brand cables, so now we are really stuck. Please help, thanks again.