What's new

Dream Lover DVD June 8 (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was just complaining about this the other day. Someone had said WB ownes the rights, but Hollywood Bitch Slap is showing this as a MGM release on the date abaove.

Hope its true :emoji_thumbsup: I can finally dump my LD :)

Edit: My mistake, the date is actually June 15

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Which DREAM LOVER is this? There are 4 or 5 by that name. The Kristy McNichol one or the James Spader/Madchen Amick one. And if the latter, will it be the unrated or the R rated version?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was unaware there were 4 movies with this title. The Kristy McNichol 86 version is a MGM property so it may be that one:frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
DVD Empire shows this title as the Amick version (which, come on and admit it, is the one we all are hoping for
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
) and even has a mini-cover jpg up. However their preliminary specs say the R-rated version, and their specs aren't always right. IMDB says the theatrical run was 103 minutes with an alternate versions link that says the UR version had "4 extra minutes" which would bring the total up to 107. The DVD specs from DVD Empire say 104 mins which would lean towards the R-version. However I don't think any of those specs are written in stone, and IMDB contributors can also be wrong.

I did send an email to MGM (somewhere via a link on their site) requesting that they release the UR version, but haven't heard a peep. I didn't expect to. :frowning:

Quick Edit: Amazon has it as the "r" rated version but on the "detailed specs" link say 108 mins. Odd. I think they may be referencing old details from when USA was going to release this DVD 5 years ago.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
It's a shame Wal-Mart doesn't do unrated, because this tile would look great in the $5.50 bin.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately Jon (and trust me no one wants the UR more than me ;) ) I'm starting to think it will be the R version. I looked it up under dvdpricesearch and clicked on the hit list that came up. Just about every one indicated a 103-104 minute run time and an R rating.

It's never too late for MGM to rectify this though. I filled out another email form on their site.

Anyone who wants the UR version please do so (under the Contact Us portion of www.mgm.com )

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The unrated version is definitely a better version, and not just for obvious reasons.

During the whole sex scene montage that is edited, there are a lot of dialogue portions that get cut, along with the sex scenes. They add a lot to the film.

Great film though.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Since this is an MGM title, it's hard to tell what we're going to get. They've released mis-rated discs before, like Swamp Thing and Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers.

I doubt we'll know for certain until someone actually gets a copy of the disc.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree Joshua (re: MGM's inconsistencies). It still would help for people to fill out that form and request that this DVD be the UR version.

Here's the direct link to the form. Just choose MGM DVD from the subject pull-down menu, for name you have to fill in an email address, not your name. It at least checks a valid email format (i.e. xxx@xxx . com) but may not check if the email is actually valid - I put my home one and I've never gotten anything from MGM. In the message box I just typed how I'd heard Dream Lover starring James Spader and Madchen Amick was coming out on DVD (to avoid confusion with other Dream Lover titles) and how I hoped they would release the UR/director's cut version.

Thanks!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone hear back from MGM about DREAM LOVER? It is released next week (June 1st, not the 8th as the thread title states). Didn't know if they ended up using the "unrated" cut or maybe resubmitting it to get an R.

My laserdisc is starting to rot so I may end up picking it up no matter which version it is.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nope, no word at all. Didn't expect to, honestly.

The packaging, according to DVD Empire's image of the packaging (as opposed to my earlier post which referenced info someone had to type in, this one is an actual capture of the back of the DVD packaging), says 1 hour 44 mins = 104 mins which I believe is the R rating. Certainly the additional footage back in 1994 would have flirted w/ NC-17 (if it existed then, I can't remember) but by today's standards would only be an R rating for sure. But I thought at last check (according to IMDB contributors) that the UR version was 107 mins.

Since I don't have it on any format other than VHS I'll probably pick it up, but I'm definitely bummed out by this. :frowning:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have to say Im suprised, as Ive been pretty pleased with MGM releasing longer cuts on DVD:frowning:

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I was looking foward to getting rid of my LD. I guess not.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yup, double bummer. Unfortunately, not owning any other copy, I have to settle for this one. :thumbsdown:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The DVD world (and the MPAA, and the FCC, and...) is most definitely fucked. We can't get the full cut of a mature film by a serious director, but we do get all manner of ersatz "unrated editions" representing the adolescent hormone genre (no content that's particularly illicit, of course, just enough added frames to dupe the ignorant into believing they might get to see Buffy's little sister's tits).

I'd like to say something pithy like "welcome to Dick Cheney's America", but this Janus-like combination of puritanical paternalism and crass exploitation has a long, sad history 'round here. It's certainly more the rule than the exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks